Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Polo Uniform Shirts

I'm looking to see if anyone is using the 5.11 Polo Shirts as uniform shirts. How are they holding up, and how do the people like them? Are they comfortable? Also, if anyone has any pictures and could post them of the polo shirts and how they are set up, lettering/badges, that would be great. Thanks

Forum Member

We don't use that brand, but we do use polo shirts as our uniform shirts. We made the switch for several reasons, the most significant being is that they are simply much more practical than dress shirts in our heat. Not only are they cooler, but since they are cheaper, we can buy more allowing the crews to have several shirts per shift to change into, and discarding them if they are damaged is less economically painful. Our guys tend to perform a lot of maintanence and light construction work during thier shifts, and dress shirts are simply not compatible with those types of jobs.

Lettering wise, we have our "shield" mongrammed on one side on the front, with name and rank on the other side. On the back we have our bame, with FIRE in bold large letters so we are less likely to be confused with LE. Intrestingly enough, both of the large cities in our area either have made to the switch or in the process of switching to polos as well.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ours are from Port Authority, and seem to hold up well. Granted, I've only had mine for a few months, but because of my current training cycle, it gets worn at least 3x per week, and washed as much.

Our unit crest is embroidered on the left chest, and the station name is stenciled on the back side. Some of our folks have their names embroidered over the right chest, and some will have their rank or job (EMT-B/FF etc) there as well.

At my old station we only had regular t-shirts. Those work well for most things, but the polo adds just that little bit extra, and gives a really great looking appearance.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have "Jerzee" polo shirts, scramble on the back with our fire dept name, and also over the left pocket. They have been washed many times and are holding up well.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

MembersZone Subscriber

I switched to a 5.11 polo last year, the rest of the department switched this year. As of now, the agreement with the union is polo shirts with uniform shorts from May 1 to Sept. 30.

The line officers and firefighters wear blue with the department patch embroidered on the left chest. Officers have thier rank on the the right.

I wear the 5.11 polo shirt and blue 5.11 pants year round except for occasions when a Class B or A uniform is appropriate. I wear white and they have held up better than I expected.

In my opinion, they look good (better than t-shirts) and present a professional appearence. Hopefully, we will negotiate with the union for polo shirts year round.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 05-28-2006 at 03:52 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

My vote is on our $8.00 T-shirts.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber achief15's Avatar

We do wear the 5.11 BDU style pants and Academy shorts and they have held up very well. That is what we will continue to buy. We wear Outer Banks brand polo's with our department name and insignia on the left chest and name and rank on the right. Nothing on the back of the polo's. We also have heavy weight T's with wording on the back. That is the predominant choice for all. FF's are issued 4 polo's and must wear one when performing any function in the public, except for hydrant maintenance, responding to incidents. For all inspections, pre-incident surveys, trips to the store or meals at restaurants, and other errands, they must wear a polo. We do not require dress shirts except for special occasions.

Black pants / shorts and red or tan ("camel" color) polo's, black or grey T's
    Glenn Rainey
    Colington Fire Department
    Dare County, North Carolina
    The Outer Banks

Forum Member

We've used them for awhile now. I think they hold up rather well. Like most have badge on left side and name and rank on right. Get ours from Wackerland...I mean Gall's since they are in town.

If you want to look like you work at Target, go for it.

Me- I like a t-shirt or Class B uniform shirt.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 05-31-2006 at 06:55 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    If you want to look like you work at Target, go for it.
    Does that mean the guys who are wearing the vests at an incident make them look like they are working for Wal*Mart?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Arrow

We have three classes of uniform -- A is a button-up with badge & brass, B is a navy polo and C is a t-shirt. The t-shirt is standard issue wear for everyday activities. Although there is no denying that a button-up looks sharp, we are often asked to do laborious work in hot & dirty environments. We should wear uniforms appropriate for that. I think the t-shirt qualifies.

Our policy for polos is that they are required for any public event -- public education, city meetings, any sort of dog & pony show, etc. For now, the t-shirt is okay the rest of the time. We don't pull out the badges & brass unless it's a top shelf type of deal -- awards banquets, etc.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    Does that mean the guys who are wearing the vests at an incident make them look like they are working for Wal*Mart?
    Yes Sir, they do.

Thumbs up

Man our uniform looks like we are LAPD (lol) Now they want us to wear grey combat bdu and shirt to match so now we look like a SWAT TEAM. We cant wear shorts and I wish we could wear the shirts you talk about LUCKY YOU..

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for all of the info, it is much appreciated. What color combinations have you used. For example, naby blue shirt/yellow lettering.... Grey Shirt/black lettering.... Thanks

Our dept has blue polos with the dept logo on one side of the front and the FF's name on the other. Some choose to get their position (e.g.- EMS Lt, FF/Paramedic, etc). On the back it has Rossford Firefighters screenprinted in white in a special design for our dept.

My explorer polo (navy) has the dept logo on front with explorer underneath and my name on the other side. And I have yet to send it out to get screenprinted with our post's Rossford Explorers design yet, but that will be white.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ours are dark blue, embroidered crest above left pocket, with the Stn name silk screened on the back. We also have an embroidered blazer crest on the left breast, which gives a bit of a dressy style, without the stencilling on the back. Those look sharp when you are in a semi-casual setting.

Bou, I've never had any one ask me where they could "find something" while walking through Target dressed like that, but I have had people in Home Depot ask me for things while wearing a MALAHAT t-shirt. And that was while I was still with Malahat! Go figure eh?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

I guess I donít see what the problem is with polo shirts. I happen to think they look more professional than a t-shirt, and more functional than a button down work shirt. I also happen to like being able to wear shorts at work, as well.

Thread Information