Thread: schedules

Forum Member

Default schedules

we are a 12 member career and rest volly department. we currently work 24/48. I have heard there are two turn systems to the 24 hours schedule does any one have a system like that.

Forum Member

We work 24/48 with a kelly day every 3 weeks. I would like to hear if anyone likes to work 24/72. How does one get that schedule in their contract.

Forum Member

We operate with 3 Fulltime, approximatley 10 Part time, and maybe 10 to 15 Active Volunteers.

Fulltime Staff work from 0600hrs. to 1800hrs. on a rotating 2-2-3-2-2-3
    {2 On, 2 Off, 3 On, 2, Off, 2 On, and 3 Off than repeat the cycle} - Two Shifts of which one is short at the moment and using a part timer to fill in.

We than operate a Mon. through Fri. Part-time Shift from 0800hrs. to 1600hrs. giving us a total of 4 personnel in station after 8am. This allows to have a full engine crew in house or to staff the two BLS Units. -- We basically handle whatever call is dispatched first.

Our Part time Staff continues with 2 from 1800hrs. to 0600hrs. all seven days of the week. -- Volunteers of course, make up the evening and overnight crews on a in house or home response basis.

The Straight Dayworks with the 2 2 3 2 2 3 is the way to go if you can convince the highers to be. You're home every Night, guaranteed every other weekend off {Fri, Sat, Sun} -- In a full career department sure 24 x 72 is the best but where I am in Modern Surburbia Combination Land I say use the resourses to your advantage, use the volunteers, and hire part time staff.
    Last edited by BD6413; 06-02-2006 at 09:03 AM.

Forum Member

bvd6413,
    do you work at Cape May, NJ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by col303
    We work 24/48 with a kelly day every 3 weeks. I would like to hear if anyone likes to work 24/72. How does one get that schedule in their contract.

This is a major labor undertaking. It entails you becoming a 4 platoon department. The average workweek is 42 hours. More of every rank throughout the entire rank structure is needed except for the guy at the top. We hired tons of bodies to accomplish this. Probably 95% of the four shift departments exist East of and including Pittsburgh Pa. They are very rare in the South. We got ours in a court case when we had a 7 year shutdown in our promotional process. Convincing those in power that every other city worker's time off is greater than their firefighters is key.

Forum Member

Pittsburgh just went to the 24/72. They already had a 4 platoon system in place. We have a 3 platoon system. I am pushing it for the next contract. My understanding is that some new bodies would have to be hired. With Kelly days, you have some many guys transferred to another station for the day. It can be a pain sometimes. It also causes overtime when many call off sick on top of the kelly days. Anticipating that the city will want more control of how the Kelly days are used in the next contract.

Forum Member

We are a 15 memeber fulltime dept with several part timers...we work the 24/48 3 shifts of 5 works well for us

Forum Member

Not sure what you mean by two turn system. We are full career and if I were to put our schedule into a shift generator it would go: 1,-1,1,-1,1,-4. It's a 56 hour week with no "kelly" days.

Forum Member

I have only heard about it and it is you work every other day. You would get a day off that your turn would work every 4th or 5th day on. But instead of a 3 day 24/48 it would be 24/24 with a scheduled day off.

Forum Member

we are a 2 shift department and our schedule goes like this

w o w o w o o o so i get 3 days off with a kelley day after 3 shifts worked. to make it confusing though we get scheduled paid holidays every 48 days giving us 5 days off in a row. the city decided that since the other employees get them we should also.

Forum Member

We work 24 on with days off being 1-2-1-4 (1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 2 off, 1 on , 1off, 1 on 4 off). Same days per month and hours per week as 24/48 but spread around differently. We're a full paid dept. I don't know about Kelly days but we do get FLSA OT.

Forum Member

VBFD- 24-48 56 hr work week. The city pays us the additional overtime due to FLSA law.

My brother works for Chesapeake Va FD- they work 1 on 1 off for 4 days Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Monday- 3 days off- then 1 on 1 off friday sunday, 2 days off Monday, Tuesday, return Wednesday, then off for 5 days. Thursday friday saturday sunday monday. then it starts back on tuesday. It's called the 21 day cycle.

Truckie

In St. Paul, we work what has been termed a "west coast" schedule (pls don't ask why...)

oooowowowowoooooowowowowoooo etc. I like it, 4 days vaca and 17 days off, and the 6 days off is nice. Though for some of those on a busy engine/medic, the 4th day can get a little long.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Default Schedule

October of 2005 we changed from the xoxoxoooo schedule to the 48/96. I would hate to go back to any other schedule.

Forum Member

We currently do the 24/72 schedule. To my knowledge we have been on this schedule since the mid 80's. Before that it was an 8 hour rotating shift schedule. We are a 21 man full time dept with 4 crews(platoons). My opinion it is the best schedule ever!
    Local #10

Charles Stephen
    Eric Jeffrey
    Born 7/24/07
    My new twin boys that I love even more than being on the job!

Forum Member

My opinion it is the best schedule ever!
    Amen brother
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

1,-1,1,-5. 4 shifts 42 hours. Love it.

Forum Member

Mine is almost the same--
    one on, two off, one on, four off.
    Great schedule.

Forum Member

ABABCDCD
    1on
    1off
    1on
    5off

Something called a debit day, wherein the city pretends you owe them money and you either go to work or get sick.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum
    In St. Paul, we work what has been termed a "west coast" schedule (pls don't ask why...)

oooowowowowoooooowowowowoooo etc. I like it, 4 days vaca and 17 days off, and the 6 days off is nice. Though for some of those on a busy engine/medic, the 4th day can get a little long.
    ?
    How many shifts?

Forum Member

I work the same schedule you are asking about. 4 on, 4 off, 4 on, 6 off with a day off beteen each work day.....aka the West Coast schedule. It's a 3 platoon system.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 12 hour work day

Here is a pretty kick *** work schedule for 12 hr work days.

3 on, 3 off, 3 on, 2 off, 3 on, 3 off, 3 on, 8 days off.

Thatís a full month schedule, you can actually plan out the days you work from now until retirement. You work 1 Saturday, and 1 Sunday a month. And have 8 full days off every month.

Another variation of that schedule that I actually work is:

6 on, 8 off

2 weeks off a month, but you work every other weekend..

Forum Member

We work a 10-14 split schedule, 4 platoons. That means I do 2 10 hour days, then 2 14 hr night shifts....followed by 4 days off. Shifts are as follows:

AB AB DA DA CD CD BC BC

Those of us that trade work an even better schedule.....I trade 2 shifts with 2 seperate guys, one working my first day (me working his last night), then with the other guy I work his first day, he works my last night. THat equals 48hrs on and 96 hrs off. Doesn't get any better

Forum Member

My department currently works the 24/72 schedule. It equates to a 42 hour work week. I think its the best shift ever. Imagine having a three day weekend every shift you work. It also gives you more opportunity to work a second job if you care to. I work as an O & C investigator for insurance companies on the side and occasionally have to go out of town over night. I don't think I would be able be as flexible without the 24/72 schedule.

Forum Member

Default 4-shifts

we work a24 hour shift off 24 then work 24 off 5 days straight.I have also heard of 48 hours on 96 off .

Thread Information