Forum Member

Default Wow...a pic that speaks words for what the scene had to be like...

State DEP Contractors cleaning up following a quintuple fatality MVA in Berlin, CT.

(Photo above from Hartford Courant; info below is a synopsis from multiple news reports I've heard / read since yesterday...call was well away from my area, in the central part of the state)

At 0330 Saturday 5/27, a Honda traveling northbound crossed the centerline, hitting a tree on the southbound side of a 2 lane, undivided state highway. Car split in half, four ejected, one trapped in car that burst in flames fed from broken gas tank. One of the ejected victims was thrown 75' into bushes, and not found until 2 hours later despite an on-going Fire & Police search of the area. All victims where presumed on scene.

Simultaneoulsy, a southbound Volvo went off the southbound side and rolled over about 200' north of the Honda. Blood was found in the Volvo, but all it's occupants fled the scene prior to arrival of services.

In addition to the accident reconstruction, and extensive search was mounted for the Volvo occupants. The highway was re-opened to traffic at 1030.

The two cars didn't contact one another...the "relationship" between the occupants is being investigated.
    Last edited by Dalmatian190; 05-28-2006 at 06:39 PM.

Forum Member

Ummm..Damn...That sounds pretty wild
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I just read about that on channel 8's website. It sounds like all the occupants of the car were teenagers or early 20's. That is horrible.

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

FIGJAM

I was OIC for a an MVA a while back that had seven occupants, 4 of which were fatal.

3 were ejected and killed upon impact with trees and the ground.

The 3rd was ejected out the back window and trapped and killed between the car and a fence which it came to rest on.

The other occupants were all in various states in the remains of the car including one that was draped unconscious over the hot muffler and exhaust system.
    Luke

Truckie

If you get a;
    Wow...a pic that speaks words for what the scene had to be like...
    from Dal, you just have to look...
    And, DAMN.....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Three guys in bio-hazard gear carrying bio-hazard bags and spatulas........

all I can say is YUCKY!!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey
    Three guys in bio-hazard gear carrying bio-hazard bags and spatulas........

all I can say is YUCKY!!!!
    It has been a long running joke in my FD with our members about getting a spatula for the ambo. We have in the past gotten calls where that would be needed. Thankfully I havent been on them.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2Capt
    It has been a long running joke in my FD with our members about getting a spatula for the ambo. We have in the past gotten calls where that would be needed. Thankfully I havent been on them.
    Yup, been on my fair share of em. No sir, don't like it. I've almost gotten numb to it over the years so now it doesn't really bother me. Not pretty but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Just remember to keep an eye on the younger guys in your group and if you have to get a stress debriefing going right away.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Public Story......

This story went public awhile ago..........
    A group of teenagers are travelling southbound on a local highway, when the driver decides to pass a long line of cars. As the full size Chevy pickup goes around a curve in the road, a tractor-trailer coming northbound is unable to get out of the way.............
    When the vehicles collide, the percussion could be felt from as far away as a half mile......... we know this to be true because our Duty Chief was the R.P. and felt the ground shake. The Chief immediately started a second alarm T/C assignment, knowing that atleast one person had to be dead........
    To make a very long call short.............
    Five teenagers had burned to death, beyond any recognition. The most ironic part of this story is that the driver was about to get court-martialed from the Marine Corp for arson............

I didn't sleep for 5 days from this call, on the 6th day I remember coming home from a partial shift and sitting down on the couch and watching Jeopardy...... the next thing I remember is my wife waking me up and telling me I had been asleep for 28 hrs. Sometimes I can still smell the scene..... it's been about 4 yrs now, and I would not wish this type of call upon anybody.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

One word will sum up reason for this collision. SPEED.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Playing a game of Chicken?
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

It's still not clear from the news reports.

The driver of the Volvo was the ex-boyfriend of the driver of the Honda (and father of her son)...and one of the occupants in the Honda made a phone call they where being chased by someone the driver knew (hmmm, next time you're being chased, maybe call 911 instead of your friends?)

Sure sounds like the makings of a mobile domestic

Leather Forever

My girlfriend lives next door to a Berlin firefighter. He has 20+ years on the line. He said this makes the top three as far a horrible calls go.The impact actually ripped the seatbelts out of the B and C posts. The buckles never came undone Berlin has had its fair share of bad wrecks. If Im not mistaken they had a fatal with 17 casualitys in the early or mid eighties.

Stay Well, Stay Safe
    Matt Firestone
    Signal 50 Industries
    www.signal50.com

Forum Member

Driver of the Volvo has been charged with manslaughter for causing the incident:

BERLIN -- A New Britain man was charged with five counts of manslaughter today for allegedly causing a May 27 car crash that killed five people.

Kevin Cales, 32, was also charged with second-degree stalking, two counts of first-degree reckless endangerment, making a false statement, interfering with police, reckless driving, evading responsibility and other counts. He was held on $1 million bail, and his next court date is June 20.

Cales has been in jail since May 30, when the Department of Correction took him into custody for driving with a suspended license, a violation of a re-entry program he had been in. He was also charged Friday with second-degree criminal mischief for allegedly slashing the Honda's tires four days before the fatal crash.

FIGJAM

I guess that's stuffed his life for years to come. (Not to mention the obvious ones of those he killed and their families)- in a way I really feel sorry for the younger ones that do this....
    Luke

Forum Member

Alrighty then...

You can't make this **** up.

The Volvo was chasing the Honda.

When the Honda crashed, the Volvo shot by it...he then backed up @ 60mph, and lost control...

Forum Member

The only thing that I am wondering about is according to the picture the honda hits its brakes and then lost control. OK so how is this the guys fault that she was speeding and then hit the brakes and lost control? I understand he was chasing her and trying to pass her but I mean let him pass and when he stops and gets out of his car drive away from him. But the guy is an idiot for backing up at 60 mph.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Wet roads, and 120mph in a Honda fleeing from someone will tend to do it.

Forum Member

Well I mean if you were going a 120 wouldnt you think to just let off the gas and then apply the brakes slowly. I mean maybe there was a reason for what she did no one will ever know.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Most people being chased by someone they're in fear of aren't rationally thinking. Nor have they've been trained in high-speed vehicle handling...never mind drilled with it enough that such actions are automatic.

Forum Member

True but in my own opinion I think common sense would say if your going very fast and its wet out(bad idea to begin with) dont slam on the brakes. And yes I understand some idiot psycho boyfriend was chasing her...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Thread Information