Thread: Hey guys!

Forum Member

Default Hey guys!

Hey guys. I just join the forums and they look good! I just wanted to share my enthusiasm for this job. When I think about this job and how satisfying and rewarding it would be there is just no question. Yes, there is depressing things that can happen doing this job and it is of course very dangerous but I feel it is worth it. I have always looked up to and respected firefighters and the work they do. And now I want to become one myself. Right now I'm going through the fire academy program near my house at the College of San Mateo. I just finished my EMT cert with an 89% so I am very happy about that because I tried and studied really hard and that hard work payed off. I also held up 3 B's and an A in my other classes last semester. I have about another year at my current school to get all my lower division classes done which includes my FF-1 cert so I can transfer to Cal State-LA to get my BS in Fire Science Administration and Technology. I've talked with several Chiefs, Bat Chiefs, and Captains and they are all saying I'm on a great path for getting into a department and moving up in the future. One of my goals would be to move up in the department and with that degree and a lot of determination I could make it happen. My uncle works on a fire rescue boat in Long Beach and he has helped me with advice and said that I'm on the right path. He is there for me whenever I need him and has said he will help me in any way possible. He is one of my idols! And with my family supporting me 100% in my decision I know I can make it happen! Anyway I'm glad to be here and I'm sure you guys will be seeing more of me in the future!

Forum Member

Just like to say that you should learn paragraphs.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD
    Just like to say that you should learn paragraphs.

Well that wasn't the kind of response I was expecting. Oh well, thanks anyway. Guess you can't expect everyone to be friendlly about things.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Wink "If"

If you are successful in your endevours

If you join a career/professional fire dept

If you are accepted by your crew-mates

That little friendly advice about paragraphs, will seem as tho you have been kissed by the Pope, compared to the everyday ribbing and downright rubbishing, that you will get and hopefully be able to give back ,by all of your co-inhabitants of the Firehouse.

Despite the Hollywood projection--firefighters are first and foremost Mr and Mrs Joe Average until they get to work.

Forum Member

Welcome road racer! I usually intordue myself to new people with the message that proper English grammar and puncutation will get you respect, and so on that note, again welcome to the forums. I hope you learn alot.

And DO NOT be afraid to ask questions!

RFRDxplorer
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Red face encouragement

Hey! I just wanted to tell you I share in your enthusiasm. Congratulations on all your hard work. That is great! I am just getting started on my EMT-B training. I would love to attend the Fire Academy here, it is the most elite in the United States they say.I am working on it right now.If you want to chat or compare notes Email/IM me at campfire_cozy@yahoo.com.

I must say although the jab about your paragraph was not what you expected to here after such an enthusastic from the heart thread but it is probably exactly what it will be like on the fireground. Trust me, it is not going to be what you expected out there either. Although my firsthand
    experience is limited but from what I have gathered being around the Firehouse, FF and the military my whole life you need to check your emotions at the door. It is no BS out there and his comment actually is very helpful. Direct but helpful and that is how it is out there. Again I am not talking s**t like I am some buff but just from what I have seen and heard. I have great respect my Father and for all of them because they don't mess around. They get down to business quick! Yeah they are all heart but don't tell them that. ; ) . Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Default Oh No

I needed to edit what I just said but it won't let me so I adding another thread. The error is:

"I am not talking s**t like I am some buff" which should read

"I am not talking like I am an expert"

I reread it and I thought Oh man, way to go. Sounds like I said they talk s**t which I know I would have caught holy hell for. My bad.

Future Firefighter

Thanks for the advice guys! I've spent days reading up and using the search feature which has answered many of my questions! The people here seem to remind me of the guys at the rodeo I ride with...a bunch of upfront, blunt, tell ya how it is kinda people. It's all good. I wrote that first topic up quick and wasn't too concerned about grammar when I wrote it. I just wanted to share some info with you guys even if you didn't want to hear it lol. Anyway I also want to say thanks to the mods/admins who run this website! Lots of great info!

Future Firefighter

Oops I signed in on my brothers account lol. No biggie you get the idea lol

Thread Information