Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Bill 123 Nova Scotia

As many of us know that when responding to a call with our personal vehicles
    (volunteer dept) the aggravation faced by us from other motorists when on our way to the hall.

Bill 123 was introduced by Stephen MacNeil (only made it to the first reading)
    Which would allow us to have flashing green lights installed on our personal vehicles for responding to emergencies.

I spoke to the Minister of Public Works and Transportation (Angus MacIssac' s) office, and was told that a letter of support from other departments would very much help to get this bill passed. I am waiting for a return phone call from Mr. MacIssac's office, to get the name and address to send the letters to. When I receive this information I will post it.

Thanks,

Jason
    Shelburne Volunteer Fire Department

Forum Member

Default Copy of Bill No. 123

BILL NO. 123
    Private Member's Bill
    1st Session, 59th General Assembly
    Nova Scotia
    52 Elizabeth II, 2004
    Motor Vehicle Act (amended)
    H. Stephen McNeil, MLA
    Annapolis
    First Reading: October 5, 2004

Explanatory Note
    This Bill permits a volunteer firefighter to display a flashing green light on the firefighter's vehicle when proceeding to a fire or other emergency.

An Act to Amend Chapter 293 of the Revised Statutes, 1989, the Motor Vehicle Act
    Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:

1 Section 179 of Chapter 293 of the Revised Statutes, 1989, the Motor Vehicle Act, as amended by Chapter 31 of the Acts of 1993 and Chapter 25 of the Acts of 1994, is further amended by adding immediately after subsection (5) the following subsections:

(5A) Where a fire department determines that a flashing or revolving green light is to be used by its volunteer firefighters, a vehicle being used by a volunteer firefighter of that department may display such a light while the firefighter is proceeding to a fire or other emergency but, for greater certainty, subsection (1) of Section 109 does not apply to such a vehicle.

(5B) Notwithstanding subsection (5), no vehicle may display a flashing or revolving green light except as provided by that subsection.

(5C) Where a fire department determines that a flashing or revolving green light is to be used by its volunteer firefighters, the fire department is responsible for the cost of installing and maintaining such a light.

(5D) In this Section, "green light" includes a green reflector or other device that gives or is capable of giving the effect of a green light.

Oddly enough Jay...As weird as this will come out..I have to disagree with my relative here..lol...Yes I know its weird

I see enough bad driving going on within the Annapolis Valley (and I'm sure it goes on elsewhere) without lights..Although they probably would help things out I can see them as being a very dangerous choice for the NS Fire Service....I see it enough with Chief Officers driving at high speeds the last thing we need is to unleash the whole NS Fire Service with little green lights..

As Well Fire Association Of Nova Scotia doesn't support it...So I can't really see it going through if thats the case

Heres the link
    http://www.fsans.ns.ca/

its in yellow with green flashing lights..lol
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 05-30-2006 at 08:56 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

People pull over for green lights?

Quote Originally Posted by SHATTEREDDREAMS
    People pull over for green lights?
    Whats your deal man....you honestly must have a secret obsession with me to come into a fourm that has absolutely nothing to do with you, while i'm talking about something that affects my own province

Last night you implied basically I need to get a life...

Maybe you should reconsider that for yourself
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 05-30-2006 at 10:09 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

eh? I wasnt talking to you

Quote Originally Posted by SHATTEREDDREAMS
    eh? I wasnt talking to you
    It makes no difference man...The fact you never touched this topic until I came here kinda spells it out....Good try though....Yah might have been able to fool a toddler with your weak attempt..

Ryan

Forum Member

ndvfdff33

I wasn't aware that the Fire Association Of Nova Scotia didn't support that. Thanks for letting me know and for the link.

I can see both sides of the arguement, and yes there is plenty of bad driving throughout our province. One would hope that if we were able to use these lights, that volunteer fire service men and women would exercise common sense (unfortunately there isn't an abundance of that to go around).

In our case here in Shelburne, where the population is predominatly retired or due to retire, I think the lights would help to let people notice us coming up behind them, far better then 4-ways. I actually had an older couple say to me after a call, that they thought I was turning, and that maybe I was confused on which way I was turning that's why they thought both blinkers were going, and the real scary part about that was, they were genuine about it.

Shattereddreams
    An answer to your query about people pulling over for green lights,
    Doctors use them for responding to emergencies.
    Ever heard a doctor complain about not being able to get to the hospital to save a life ?

Quote Originally Posted by JayTate
    ndvfdff33

I wasn't aware that the Fire Association Of Nova Scotia didn't support that. Thanks for letting me know and for the link.

I can see both sides of the arguement, and yes there is plenty of bad driving throughout our province. One would hope that if we were able to use these lights, that volunteer fire service men and women would exercise common sense (unfortunately there isn't an abundance of that to go around).

In our case here in Shelburne, where the population is predominatly retired or due to retire, I think the lights would help to let people notice us coming up behind them, far better then 4-ways. I actually had an older couple say to me after a call, that they thought I was turning, and that maybe I was confused on which way I was turning that's why they thought both blinkers were going, and the real scary part about that was, they were genuine about it.
    I came across the Fire Association thing just by chance one day surfin the net and with talking with others (mainly my uncle) about it

I agree that if everyone could follow the rules it might be ok..But I know and I'm sure you do too that this wouldn't be the case..Someone would do something stupid and ruin it all for everyone..I would agree it would kick the crap outta usin four-ways which from what I hear is a big no no, although cops are generally pretty leniant about it..Your situation sounds the same as mine in Nictaux with an ever growing population of older generations....We have one guy..Not sure if he's still around or not that I seemed to get stuck behind almost every call we had..And he'd drive about 20 km/h....Mind you generally I waited for straight aways and went around em...But the odd times there was no chance and I just had to stick it out...Mind you if he won't pull over for the Big Red truck with lights and sirens on and airhorns screaming I doubt he'd pull over for a Green Light on a dash

Ryan

I think that would be very interesting to see green lights on a car instead of blue per say (around here vollies have blue dashlights). If I were there and a car pulls up behind me with a flashing green light of course I'm going to pull I mean the only place I have seen a flashing green light on a fire scene is to identify the command post.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Thread Information