Forum Member

Default Hazardous Duty Pay?

A few days ago while BS'ing with some of the FF's at the house by my work. I was told that Senate/Congress approved hazardous duty pay for DoD FF's? Now its just awaiting approval from the individual services. Any truth to this?

Not that I know anything, but based on what I have been reading, I would rather them hold the cash for a year and purchase new SCBA for all DoD FF's. All of this reading about the interspiro SCBA's is not making me comfortable.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hazardous Duty Pay

USAFSSGT you are correct in terms of there being a bill passed authorizing Hazardous Duty pay for firefighters. The only thing I can pass on in reference to the bill being implemented is that I have been told by a couple of fire chiefs that the only thing holding this up is the services are trying to work out some technical issues, (ie how to pay the guard and reserve). From what I gather, this bill authorizes guard/reserve firefighters to be paid during drill weekends.

Well we will see what happens with this. If you would like more info, please email or PM me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFSSGT
    A few days ago while BS'ing with some of the FF's at the house by my work. I was told that Senate/Congress approved hazardous duty pay for DoD FF's? Now its just awaiting approval from the individual services. Any truth to this?

Not that I know anything, but based on what I have been reading, I would rather them hold the cash for a year and purchase new SCBA for all DoD FF's. All of this reading about the interspiro SCBA's is not making me comfortable.
    As angfireman stated, yes hazardous duty pay is in the works. And don't worry about the Interspiros as they are going to be replaced with MSAs in the near future. Interspiros are a pain, but they should be gone in a few years (hopefully sooner).

I had not heard about the pay for guard and reserve. It wouldn't be much for a drill weekend. But I welcome any pay raise.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FWIW as a "recent" old man retiree...

First,
    The hazardous duty pay has been supposedly "approved" a few times in the past for DOD firemen... Don't hold your breath on that one

Second,
    Interspiro SCBA's are the biggest POS's that I've ever used. I equate it to strapping a 20lb propane cylinder on my back with the suspension from some cheapo Wallyworld rucksack. I hope you guys infact get the MSA's VERY soon. That would be one of the best things ever done for USAF Fire Protection.
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Medic162
    First,

Interspiro SCBA's are the biggest POS's that I've ever used. I equate it to strapping a 20lb propane cylinder on my back with the suspension from some cheapo Wallyworld rucksack. I hope you guys infact get the MSA's VERY soon. That would be one of the best things ever done for USAF Fire Protection.
    That being said, how well does the rest of the Active Duty Air Force Equipment rate?

MembersZone Subscriber

To be honest with you. It depends on money. My guard unit is based at a Joint Military Base (they are home to Air Guard, Air Force Reserve, Army Guard, Reserve, Marine Reserve{gunnyv}, Navy Reserve and Coast Guard). They have recently, in the past couple of years, gotten a new (1st in the Air Force) Stryker 3000 gallon ARFF truck, a new F450 utility truck, and a new P-32 rescue truck, and not to mention the new cascade unit. Prior to this the unit was hurting for trucks. I am not sure how active duty units rate with there equipment. I think for a guard base, we have it pretty good.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by USAFSSGT
    That being said, how well does the rest of the Active Duty Air Force Equipment rate?
    SCBA was really my only "complaint". I don't know about every single airplane patch out there, but what I saw during my tenure was quite impressive. Example: the structural bunker gear I was last issued was absolutely top of the line PBI/Kevlar with crosstech liners. The issue helmet was a traditional style Bullard if memory serves me, but I wore my New Yorker. Crash gear is crash gear yadda yadda. Not much to choose from on that one. I think the AF contract lies with Globe. Trucks run the spectrum. We had a couple of P-23's, and a couple of the KME pumpers. As the only paramedic on the department, I only ever rode the rescue. Ours was a Pierce Sabre walk around. It was one of the sweetest rigs I've ever had the pleasure of using. Driving it was a breeze - it drove like my wife's Expedition ya had to remember that you had almost 25 feet of firetruck behind you! You won't be let down with your equipment by any means. I'm jealous of you. Like any other job in the AF, there are kids there that didn't want to be firemen. But for the most part, it is one of the best groups of men you'll ever work with. If it wasn't for the fact that civilian employment was so attractive to me, I would've stayed for ever. I just didn't relish the thought of leaving the wife and kids for yet another deployment. I missed enough of them "growing up", and 20 was plenty. You'll be happy with your issued gear. Like I said, it's some of the best stuff money can buy. I just hope you guys can dump the Interspiro garbage and get something good as far as SCBA's go. Keep us posted on your progress at Goodfellow -I'm interested in reading it!!!
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by angfireman
    To be honest with you. It depends on money. My guard unit is based at a Joint Military Base (they are home to Air Guard, Air Force Reserve, Army Guard, Reserve, Marine Reserve{gunnyv}, Navy Reserve and Coast Guard). They have recently, in the past couple of years, gotten a new (1st in the Air Force) Stryker 3000 gallon ARFF truck, a new F450 utility truck, and a new P-32 rescue truck, and not to mention the new cascade unit. Prior to this the unit was hurting for trucks. I am not sure how active duty units rate with there equipment. I think for a guard base, we have it pretty good.
    Yea, but you still got that POS P-4 and the two "watch my wheels go by" P-23s

We may get our P-19 over there for you guys to use when it gets back from overseas.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anything is better than the P-2 and the P-15 that we had. I can remember when we got the P-22 in from depot and the ceiling was falling in. Man that truck was a piece of junk. Probable cost more to fix it and put it into service than what a new one would have cost back then.

Would be nice to have a P-19 around to train our young troops on. Kinda hard to classroom teach on a P-19 and then expect them to understand how to operate it in a field environment.

Forum Member

Default Civilians?

How will this apply for those of us that are DOD civilians? will we get the pay or no? anyone know the plan?
    Mike

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

"8 Nov 05: Well, 1 Oct 05 has come and gone and still no HDIP. Nevertheless, I'm still optimistic that it will come in the not-too-distant future. A large part of the problem is that the AF has been in a money crisis the whole FY05 year and finding the money to pay HDIP (about 8 million) has been made more difficult. As you probably know, HDIP was AUTHORIZED but not funded. That means the Services decide if they will pay it and if they decide to pay it, they have to find the money for it since the Congress didn't appropriate any money.

What can you do? I'm so optimistic that the AF will find a way to pay it so I don't think you need to do anything at this point. I know it is frustrating...for all of us. We've been working this for 30 years and will work it another 30 years if we need too; we will never give up. I will keep you informed so you may decide for yourself when to write your elected representatives. They are responsible for this situation by not appropriating money for it -- it's not entire the AF's fault. "

...As i heard, initially, the HDIP will only be paid for AF FF that work Ops or Prevention. They only want to pay the guys that are actually in a potential hazardous duty... prevention because it is notorious for them to be pulled from 8 hours to cover for low manning. As far as upper management and command level personnel, I don't think they will be getting it initially (whenever that is). As far as DoD Civs? I don't know. HDIP is a special pay for miltary members to enter hazardous career fields. You can check out the Air Force Sergeants Association's website for info as they are they guys that have pushed this for us. http://www.afsahq.org

Forum Member

Default HDIP for Air Force firefighters

Hello;
    I'm Bryant Jordan, a reporter for Air Force Times. I'm working on a story about HDIP for firefighters. Here's what I know: authorization for HDIP was approved and signed by the president in Nov. 2004. But it was not put into the appropriations budget for FY 05 or the current year. Now the AF has told me it chose to use bonuses, instead, to attract and retain firefighters, but I also found that the AF stopped offering SRBs to firefighters in April 2005.
    I'd like to hear what AF firefighters think of this. What is or will be the impact on recruiting/retention without HDIP or SRBs? If you like, you can call me at 800-424-9335, ext. 8113 or 703-750-8113, or email me at bmjordan@airforcetimes.com.
    Thank you very much.
    Bryant Jordan

Forum Member

What about the reserve side of the house, any news on that?

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out dodfire.com

That might help you out.

Mikie

Forum Member

Good place to find a job; thats where I found mine. Looks like it sucks to be in the reserves.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default All For IT!

I am all for DoD firefighters getting Danger Pay... pro-rated to the amount of minutes they are on a call.

So a total of $225.00/month divided by the number of days available-

225.00/3 Shifts (A,B,C)= 10 days per month available or $22.50 per shift.

In the one fire they see in 6 months... I would support paying them the $2 or $3 for that fire.

Become a volunteer... we get more than smells and bells.

Don't write me any upset responses... I worked in the firehouse with DoD firemen for 15 years. BORING!

Thread Information