1. #51
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bones42
    I've never heard of a SCBA with an automatic bypass. Anyone have more info on that?


    Scott has that concept don't they? Their SCBA has two first stage pneumatic systems. If the first stage fails it goes into the vibra alert doesn't it?

  2. #52
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,694

    Default

    Yes, goes to vibralert, but that isn't the same as going through the bypass with unrestricted freeflow. IF that is what the above poster meant, I mistook it for something else.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  3. #53
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SamsonFCDES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickey
    Scott makes SCBA's for NASA.....that's how they started actually.

    Guess if it is good enough for NASA, good enough for me.



    I believe NASA uses SCAMP, about 10 grand a piece and you need a specialized system to fill them. A look at the future fire service pack, at some point we will probally be switching over to super critical technology.

    http://www.nasa.gov/missions/science/scamp.html

    http://www.nasatech.com/Briefs/Nov99/KSC11683.html
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

    -Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

    -Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

  4. #54
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES


    I believe NASA uses SCAMP, about 10 grand a piece and you need a specialized system to fill them. A look at the future fire service pack, at some point we will probally be switching over to super critical technology.

    http://www.nasa.gov/missions/science/scamp.html

    http://www.nasatech.com/Briefs/Nov99/KSC11683.html
    Without a doubt, if the Feds mandate this for all FD's under the guise of "interoperability", they will say "sorry, we're broke" when it comes time to fund or assist in the upgrade....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  5. #55
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Halligan84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Blackwood NJ, USA
    Posts
    816

    Default

    The Scott dual redundant regulator is an automatic bypass for the most part. The Scott regulator is a 2 stage unit. If the primary stage fails you get the vibralert regardless of pressure. That is a signal that you are on the 2nd stage.

    From the Scott specs:
    In lieu of a manual by-pass, the pressure-reducing regulator shall include a back-up pressure-reducing valve connected in parallel with the primary pressure reducing valve and an automatic transfer valve for redundant control. The backup pressure reducing valve shall also be the means of activating the low-pressure alarm devices in the facepiecemounted
    breathing regulator. This warning shall denote a switch from the primary reducing valve to the back-up reducing valve whether from a malfunction of the primary reducing valve or from low cylinder supply pressure.

  6. #56
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Yes Gonzo...

    But by then they'll be no firehouses left in America if you let us jakes loose with liquid oxygen fired grilles

    http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/

  7. #57
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    Yes Gonzo...

    But by then they'll be no firehouses left in America if you let us jakes loose with liquid oxygen fired grilles

    http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/
    As Bart Simpson would say...

    Aye carumba!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  8. #58
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    141

    Default SO what was the exact problem

    SO what was the exact problem with the interspero packs in Texas...

    My paid department uses them...I would like to be able to watch for problems. The biggest issue I have had with them is during a rit drill the cylinder got turned off dragging my fat *** across the floor.



    The volly department I run with in my home town uses Scott and we have had nothing but problems. The cylinders leaked charging the pack and arming the pass... Nothing like getting a call from the cops to go the station at 2 am to turn off 26 pass alarms. They changed out the valves three times untill it got fixed. The most recient problem is masks breaking where the regulator snaps in.

  9. #59
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    31

    Default

    My paid suburban department has used interspiro for about five years. In those five years there have been many different problems. This is in a wealthy suburban area with not nearly enough fire. That is probably all that has kept anyone from getting killed.

    -i'm an ex paratrooper/ light infanteer and had 65 lb rucksacks on my back for weeks at a time, 20 mins with interspiro and I want to throw it across the fireground
    -my Lt has had his regulator pop off his face mask twice during training in simulated hazardous environments
    -another Lt has had his fall off preparing for entry
    -we've had several mask/regulators fail prior to entry
    -one size fits all mask that doesn't (too pass fit test I have to pull the straps so taught there is no more strap left and huge divots in my face after)
    -o-rings that blow
    -pack to bottle connectors that have been screwed down so tight to prevent o-ring failure that they are impossible to unscrew with sweaty hands
    -once at training our drivers mask was missing the screw that holds the mask together on the one side, went to get the spare off the apparatus and the little plastic lip that holds the regulator on was peeled off
    -fully bunkered and involved in fire ground activity many of us will have air being forced out the side of the mask because the straps have slacked off a little
    -ambient air is somewhat restricted resulting in increased work of breathing similar to a cartridge filter mask
    -several bottles have been removed from service due to wrap damage to the point of presenting safety concerns
    -so many packs are out of service a Lt had to cancel a trip t o fire rescue east, we didn't have a pack to spare


    I could go on

  10. #60
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Richfield, NC
    Posts
    618

    Default

    i've been reading over this thread and how old are the interspiro packs that are giving you people who despise them problems?
    We use them and last year purchased the latest that they have and have had no problems whatsoever. And all the problems I have read about sound like what we were experiencing with our older (10+ years old) packs that we replaced.
    Last edited by Firefighter2230; 06-25-2006 at 11:54 PM.

  11. #61
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickey
    Scott makes SCBA's for NASA.....that's how they started actually.

    Guess if it is good enough for NASA, good enough for me.
    NASA was approached by Scott to make a smaller, lighter SCBA at the request of the nation's fire service (mainly the larger east coast departments). Scott had been in business for many years prior to the deal with NASA. Just another trip down memory lane.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

  12. #62
    former FH.com member

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    860

    Default from todays news....

    City Sues Interspiro Over Firefighters Supplies

    LAST UPDATE: 12/5/2006 6:08:16 PM
    Posted By: Katy Camp
    This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.

    The City of San Antonio has filed suit against Interspiro, the company that first supplied San Antonio firefighters with their breathing tanks.

    The lawsuit was filed in State District Court today.

    The city paid $2 million for the tanks in 2005.

    But once the fire crews got them out in the field, they failed multiple times. This prompted San Antonio leaders to demand the city’s money back.

    They ordered new breathing tanks from a different company.

    The city hopes to replace the money they spent on the devices and cover the costs of the hassle involved.

  13. #63
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I'm from Sweden and I've only used Interspiro SCBA:s. Most of my instructors at Revinge Rescue College (former SRSA College Revinge) had MSAs and only one of them (a hazmat instructor, btw) had Interspiro. Don't know what they use at the other college (Sandö)... yet .

    The FFtrainees at Revinge use SpiroLite flasks (a lot lighter than the steel SpiroMatic flasks). When you start running out of air you have to flick down a switch on the regulator in order to use the air reserve. It doesn't give you any alarm except from the feeling that you suck your mask in and out that comes when you have less than 50 bar left (and by that time you should already have gotten out of the building minutes ago, I've learned).

  14. #64
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
    I'm from Sweden and I've only used Interspiro SCBA:s. Most of my instructors at Revinge Rescue College (former SRSA College Revinge) had MSAs and only one of them (a hazmat instructor, btw) had Interspiro. Don't know what they use at the other college (Sandö)... yet .

    The FFtrainees at Revinge use SpiroLite flasks (a lot lighter than the steel SpiroMatic flasks). When you start running out of air you have to flick down a switch on the regulator in order to use the air reserve. It doesn't give you any alarm except from the feeling that you suck your mask in and out that comes when you have less than 50 bar left (and by that time you should already have gotten out of the building minutes ago, I've learned).
    Roland, love you brother, I even read Steig Larsen's books, but this thread is four years old.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  15. #65
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Roland, love you brother, I even read Steig Larsen's books, but this thread is four years old.
    Plus it has rotten in the grave as well.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  16. #66
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I do remember when the then new Scott 4.5 SCBAs came out in the mid/late 80s. Tough, simple and worked well.


    Some of us were SMART enough to stay with 'em. T.C.

  17. #67
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by choad33 View Post
    SO what was the exact problem with the interspero packs in Texas...

    My paid department uses them...I would like to be able to watch for problems. The biggest issue I have had with them is during a rit drill the cylinder got turned off dragging my fat *** across the floor.



    The volly department I run with in my home town uses Scott and we have had nothing but problems. The cylinders leaked charging the pack and arming the pass... Nothing like getting a call from the cops to go the station at 2 am to turn off 26 pass alarms. They changed out the valves three times untill it got fixed. The most recient problem is masks breaking where the regulator snaps in.
    Nothing like responding to an OLD post BUT: If you're breaking masks at the regulator opening,YOU ARE DONNING THEM WRONG. ONLY thing that will cause the problem, You're ****ing the regulator and twisting which hyperextends the Lexan and breaks it. Cut and dried AND DOCUMENTED. T.c.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. If they are afraid to get burned, they're on the wrong job!
    By sconfire in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 12:34 AM
  2. If You Are Afraid Of Wolves, Do Not Go Into The Forest
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 03:12 PM
  3. Interspiro SCBA
    By loxfire6016 in forum International
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 04:43 PM
  4. Anyone Afraid of Heights
    By Probey11CVFD in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-29-2002, 11:26 AM
  5. Ever been afraid?
    By E229Lt in forum Fireground Tactics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-03-2000, 06:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register