Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber evfd3100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    I've never heard of a SCBA with an automatic bypass. Anyone have more info on that?
    neither have I....can't see how that could work really. kind of defeats the purpose.
    Assistant Chief
    Elberta Volunteer Fire Department
    http://www.elbertafire.com

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

MembersZone Subscriber

Having taught for a number of years I've seen most makes of airpacks from the SCOTT 2A to the belt mounted MSA, Drager, Cairns, survivair, ISI ranger, to most of the modern packs.
    When a candidate has a problem it usually goes back to maintenance. Some air packs are more durable and user friendly like SCOTT, MSA and Survivair, but well maintained they all work.
    If your department is having problems look to your ba maintenance guys. Also every company comes out with junk from time to time (just look to MSA's first integrated pass)
    Interspiro does make some quality products, Look at the Divator MK 2. Maintenance is the key, I use and love the SCOTT airpak 50 but with no maintenance they break too. That is why you must put the pack on a machine annually.

Alright, this has been bugging me. I looked back at the pictures from my academy class. The ones I think I'm thinking of are Cairns pioneer SCBAs.
    Can anyone confirm?

I didn't trust the bypass either, that's why I grabbed a Scott on equipment issuing day.
    Last edited by ffexpCP; 06-06-2006 at 05:34 PM.

former FH.com member

Default A sight for sore eyes.

Well, we put the new Scotts on the Truck today. It was like shaking hands with an old friend. Smell ya later Interspiro.

SAFD46Truck- Such a good feeling, huh?

former FH.com member

Why yes, yes it is.

Definitly. Good bye and good ridance junkers! Hello Scott's again.

Scott makes SCBA's for NASA.....that's how they started actually.

Guess if it is good enough for NASA, good enough for me.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Dickey
    That's not saying much when everthing they buy is (the lowest bid).LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CpaceEng1
    Hey Dickey
    That's not saying much when everthing they buy is (the lowest bid).LOL
    Think about that everytime you get into an elevator, It was built by the LOWEST bidder.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bones42
    I've never heard of a SCBA with an automatic bypass. Anyone have more info on that?

Scott has that concept don't they? Their SCBA has two first stage pneumatic systems. If the first stage fails it goes into the vibra alert doesn't it?

Yes, goes to vibralert, but that isn't the same as going through the bypass with unrestricted freeflow. IF that is what the above poster meant, I mistook it for something else.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey
    Scott makes SCBA's for NASA.....that's how they started actually.

Guess if it is good enough for NASA, good enough for me.

I believe NASA uses SCAMP, about 10 grand a piece and you need a specialized system to fill them. A look at the future fire service pack, at some point we will probally be switching over to super critical technology.

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/science/scamp.html

http://www.nasatech.com/Briefs/Nov99/KSC11683.html
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Quote Originally Posted by SamsonFCDES

I believe NASA uses SCAMP, about 10 grand a piece and you need a specialized system to fill them. A look at the future fire service pack, at some point we will probally be switching over to super critical technology.

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/science/scamp.html

http://www.nasatech.com/Briefs/Nov99/KSC11683.html
    Without a doubt, if the Feds mandate this for all FD's under the guise of "interoperability", they will say "sorry, we're broke" when it comes time to fund or assist in the upgrade....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

The Scott dual redundant regulator is an automatic bypass for the most part. The Scott regulator is a 2 stage unit. If the primary stage fails you get the vibralert regardless of pressure. That is a signal that you are on the 2nd stage.

From the Scott specs:
    In lieu of a manual by-pass, the pressure-reducing regulator shall include a back-up pressure-reducing valve connected in parallel with the primary pressure reducing valve and an automatic transfer valve for redundant control. The backup pressure reducing valve shall also be the means of activating the low-pressure alarm devices in the facepiecemounted
    breathing regulator. This warning shall denote a switch from the primary reducing valve to the back-up reducing valve whether from a malfunction of the primary reducing valve or from low cylinder supply pressure.

Forum Member

Yes Gonzo...

But by then they'll be no firehouses left in America if you let us jakes loose with liquid oxygen fired grilles

http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    Yes Gonzo...

But by then they'll be no firehouses left in America if you let us jakes loose with liquid oxygen fired grilles

http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/
    As Bart Simpson would say...

Aye carumba!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default SO what was the exact problem

SO what was the exact problem with the interspero packs in Texas...

My paid department uses them...I would like to be able to watch for problems. The biggest issue I have had with them is during a rit drill the cylinder got turned off dragging my fat *** across the floor.

The volly department I run with in my home town uses Scott and we have had nothing but problems. The cylinders leaked charging the pack and arming the pass... Nothing like getting a call from the cops to go the station at 2 am to turn off 26 pass alarms. They changed out the valves three times untill it got fixed. The most recient problem is masks breaking where the regulator snaps in.

Forum Member

My paid suburban department has used interspiro for about five years. In those five years there have been many different problems. This is in a wealthy suburban area with not nearly enough fire. That is probably all that has kept anyone from getting killed.

-i'm an ex paratrooper/ light infanteer and had 65 lb rucksacks on my back for weeks at a time, 20 mins with interspiro and I want to throw it across the fireground
    -my Lt has had his regulator pop off his face mask twice during training in simulated hazardous environments
    -another Lt has had his fall off preparing for entry
    -we've had several mask/regulators fail prior to entry
    -one size fits all mask that doesn't (too pass fit test I have to pull the straps so taught there is no more strap left and huge divots in my face after)
    -o-rings that blow
    -pack to bottle connectors that have been screwed down so tight to prevent o-ring failure that they are impossible to unscrew with sweaty hands
    -once at training our drivers mask was missing the screw that holds the mask together on the one side, went to get the spare off the apparatus and the little plastic lip that holds the regulator on was peeled off
    -fully bunkered and involved in fire ground activity many of us will have air being forced out the side of the mask because the straps have slacked off a little
    -ambient air is somewhat restricted resulting in increased work of breathing similar to a cartridge filter mask
    -several bottles have been removed from service due to wrap damage to the point of presenting safety concerns
    -so many packs are out of service a Lt had to cancel a trip t o fire rescue east, we didn't have a pack to spare

I could go on

Forum Member

i've been reading over this thread and how old are the interspiro packs that are giving you people who despise them problems?
    We use them and last year purchased the latest that they have and have had no problems whatsoever. And all the problems I have read about sound like what we were experiencing with our older (10+ years old) packs that we replaced.
    Last edited by Firefighter2230; 06-25-2006 at 10:54 PM.

Thread Information