Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default I'm taking suggestions for a title for this...

don't guess I could figure out where you were going with that????
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

The "marksmanship and accuracy" that this marker is promoting is great, but even the best marker will still suffer from the weakest link of the equation-the paintball.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

"Really light up your opponent"

These people have got to be kidding "propane, a safe gas used in homes", so let's have people running around spraying it at paintball parks. Can't wait to see their lawyer explain this in court when the static from the nylon clothes sets someone on fire.

real f'in smart.

Alan

ps I work for a welding supply co. and this goes against my safety training, and I know about aerosols that use propane for propelent, read the instructions on one.

Having played the game of paintball once or twice, I was informed that the average paintball will travel at 30feet per second. One word will sum up this monster, OUCH!
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Never played paintball, but I've seen the "damages" that can be caused. I agree with Martin... OUCH!

So instead of an inert gas, lets use something with a relatively low flash point and go tear-*****ing around with it. Hmmmmm sounds like a GREAT Idea to me. (ya right he says, as he heads in a direction not related to where these kids will be playing....)
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by martinm
    Having played the game of paintball once or twice, I was informed that the average paintball will travel at 30feet per second. One word will sum up this monster, OUCH!
    My brother played once and when he got back home, he showed me the bruises from where he got hit. Each bruise was about 2 inches in diameter and looked very painful.

It may look like a lot of fun, but I can think of better ways to spend my days.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Forum Member

Just a slight correction on the speed of paintballs. The average paintball travels at 250 feet per second (which is the max amount allowed by many courses).

I have played many times and it is more fun than you can imagine. Yes you do have some pretty big welts on you. The key is to layer your clothes if you can. I have never really been to beat up after playing. Fat bruises a lot easier than muscle and bone. I am pretty skinny and so I never look to bad, but if you hit some one in the love handles they will be solid purple.

I recommend everyone give it a try. It can get pretty expensive if you just spray and pray, but it is worth it at least once

Default If I may add...

So instead of an inert gas, lets use something with a relatively low flash point and go tear-*****ing around with it.
    That is also heavier than air, so when Junior and Bubba get back to the trailer, pitch the gear in the corner, and pop the top on a couple of cold ones the residual fuel in the cylinder will find a nice low spot and just hang around waiting for an ignition source.

Sounds like fun to me!

Forum Member

Not to mention the 3 dozen or so spare canisters Bubba is carrying around in his trunk.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'm guessing from the looks of the CAD drawings and the explanations that the 20oz cylinders are available all over the place that users will be attaching the cylinders to the bottom of the handle and it will basically stick out the back? I've played a few times and I can't count how many times I banged the various parts of the gun on the ground, trees, props in indoor ranges. Someone is going to snap that SOB off and get a really big and flashy surprise when that can lights up.

I know the propane nail guns have a pretty decent safety record, but no one is running around trying to have a mock battle with them. If they can get that many more shots out of the 20oz cylinder then they should be looking to make the disposable ones like the CO2 catridges so they can be a little more protected in use.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

I'm sure it is one of those, "Seemed like a good idea at the time," kind of things.

On one hand you get a paintball gun that is more consistent and lighter then CO-powered ones. On the other hand, you may accidentally burst into flames. I guess it's all about tradeoffs.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I don't see a problem as long as it's used on an outdoor field. Indoor I can see major problems. I've played paintball for a long time and enjoy it alot. I'll still stick with nitro or co2. Besides this is a pump action gun, those are used very rarely anymore.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Exclamation Flammable???

As a paintball fan I have done some quick research on this. The propane is actually ignited in the gun. There is no actual flammable gas coming out the end of the gun. It uses the same technology or pretty close to the nail guns used in construction witch have been around for years. I am sure that the Ttippmann’s engineers and board of lawyers have thoroughly considered all the stupid things one might try with this gun and all the saftey issues before they released it for sale.

That being said ..... Tippmann should have given it to a bunch of fireman. Being a fireman playing paintball with a bunch of fireman I know that if it can be broke, tweaked, abused, rigged as a joke, modified to be used in a joke, or any other thing that might be done to cause harm or a lawsuit we can figure it out.
    DixieFire53, Deputy Fire Chief FF/EMT-P, Local 272

Forum Member

Hmmm...

If the propellant is being "exploded" in the gun...at what point does it switch from being an air gun to being a firearm?

I honestly don't know! (I do recall my dad had a pistol permit as part of his job with the phone company so he could use the old pistol blank nail guns back in the 70s).

As for liability...I suspect that's easy enough to get around. I don't know anything about Tippman.

If I was going to set something like this up, make it almost a post office box corporation. Outsource the manufacturing to China where you have a snowballs chance in hell of actually getting money from the "manufacturer"; carry bare legal minimum insurance; sell the design for the gun to some offshore holding company (China again?); sell them by drop shipping them to the store / consumer, declare a quarterly dividend to the shareholders to get the money out of the company as quick as possible.

Being sued for liability generally requires two things: 1, at least half a case you did something wrong, and second and unfortunately usually most important, having enough assests or insurance to intere$t a lawyer.

"Ok, go ahead and sue us. By the way, if you win, all we can do to satisfy the judgement is hand you the keys to a business you claim sells an unsafe product...which then makes you liable for the on-going sales of said supposed unsafe product "

I've been an avid paintball player for quite a few years now and I definatly think that this is not the most intelligent idea for paintball that I have ever seen. (for the reasons stated above)

P.S.- It's not all that bad, with the adrenaline flowing you barely feel a sting but you definatly have some huge welts later on! Espically when you get caught in the Jugular from about 7 ft away. But I usually only wear BDU's with a t-shirt underneath.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

standard answer for paintball people

Check here for this opportunity -- better targets too.
    http://www.goarmy.com/flindex.jsp
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Paintball really dosn't hurt that much when you're actively in a game, it's the day after that gets me. That's usually when everything starts aching. (Unless you play and don't wear a cup...I'll never do that again. )

The propane gun is a dumb idea, even if it does shoot better. I'll keep my CO2.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

suggested title - job security

Thread Information