MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Fireboats for NYC

Robert Allan Deisgns Fireboats for NYC

Friday, May 26, 2006

In July 2005, the Fire Department of New York (FDNY) awarded a contract for the design of their new fast response fireboats to Robert Allan Ltd. of Vancouver, BC. The design team has been working closely with the FDNY project team finalizing the functional requirements for the vessel, assessing alternatives, and developing the concept design. In March 2006, the project successfully completed a comprehensive value engineering process, during which a panel of independent marine and fire-fighting industry experts reviewed the proposed design and, in concert with the Robert Allan Ltd. and FDNY design teams, assessed the merits of a variety of suggested options. The design process is now moving full steam ahead to the detailed design stage, which will lead to an anticipated tender call for two new fireboats in the fall of 2006. The new fast response fireboats are designed to specifically address the fire-fighting and rescue needs of the greater New York harbor including responding to CBRNE (Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosive) incidents, and Hazmat decontamination. The pumping system is configured for marine fire incident response, and to support land-based firefighters with a 50,000 gpm total pumping capacity (at 150 psi) connected to a system of hoses capable of supplying water up to 5 miles inland.

LINK: http://www.marinelink.com/Story/ShowStory.aspx?StoryID=203248

Some Guy

That is the same company that built Los Angeles Fire Departments. It should be quite impressive. Fire boat 2 in LA is massive.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman
    That is the same company that built Los Angeles Fire Departments. It should be quite impressive. Fire boat 2 in LA is massive.
    Will look a lot alike, but the FDNY boat will have a conventional drive system, unlike the funky system used in LA
    http://www.ral.bc.ca/news/2006_05_23.pdf
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

what's the call volume like for Fire boats in FDNY?
    New York State EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BruenRescue2003
    what's the call volume like for Fire boats in FDNY?
    Runs/workers/hrs operation
    MARINE 1 489 489 453
    MARINE 3 186 186 138
    MARINE 4 164 164 102
    MARINE 6 411 411 376
    MARINE 8 187 187 124
    MARINE 9 262 246 240

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

and worth every penny....
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 06-03-2006 at 11:09 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

I have mixed feelings on the new boats. While the current fleet definitely needs to be brought up to date, and those new boats are certainly incredible machines, I will definitely miss the current ones. I hope when they're retired, they make their way to a museum or some sort. A floating museum, not unlike what a group did with the John J. Harvey, would be even better, albeit very costly.

http://www.fireboat.org

Forum Member

Talking The new Fire Boats

These are going to be some of the most impressive pieces of machinery ever built.

Here is my e-mail from Robert Allen Associates.

The New York fireboats are presently being designed, it is expected that the design will be complete and shipyards invited to bid around September of this year. Contract award is anticipated in January/February of 2007.

Robert Allan Ltd.
    230 - 1639 West 2nd Ave.
    Vancouver, BC V6J 1H3 Canada
    Tel. 604-736-9466
    Fax. 604-736-9483
    www.ral.bc.ca

MembersZone Subscriber

* * Press Release* *
    High Performance Fireboats for New York City designed by Robert Allan Ltd.
    http://www.fdnyfloridaretirees.com/N...ase5-25-06.pdf
    The FDNY fireboats will certainly be the largest and have the greatest fire-fighting capacity of any fireboats in North America, if not the world. The current schedule anticipates delivery of the new fireboats to NewYork in 2008.
    Last edited by BHFF22; 06-19-2006 at 10:31 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BHFF22
    * * Press Release* *
    High Performance Fireboats for New York City designed by Robert Allan Ltd.
    http://www.fdnyfloridaretirees.com/NewsArticles/FDNYFireBoatNewsRelease5-25-06.pdf

The FDNY fireboats will certainly be the largest and have the greatest fire-fighting capacity of any fireboats in North America, if not the world. The current schedule anticipates delivery of the new fireboats to NewYork in 2008.
    http://www.fdnyfloridaretirees.com/N...ase5-25-06.pdffixxed link
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Not sure but don't they run a lot of mutual aid across the river to Jersey when needed also?
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    Not sure but don't they run a lot of mutual aid across the river to Jersey when needed also?
    It's not really Mutual aid. I can't remember where this is written but the FDNY Marine Division is responsible for all of NY Harbor...which includes the Jersey side as well so a ship fire in Hoboken wouldn't be mutual aid...it would just be another fire as I understand it.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

M9 giving us a "safe trip" for our cruise....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman

I think that they were both designed by the same company. IIRC, no decision has been made as to who is going to make the FDNY boat. The LA boat was made by Nichols Bros. Boat Builders in Washington.

http://www.nicholsboats.com/la_fireboat.htm
    http://www.nicholsboats.com/PDF/S-14...reboat%202.pdf
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

In Jersey City we took delivery of a 57ft fire boat. Several members are finishing up training. Right now it's staffed weekdays. As soon as all training is done it will be manned 24/7. Also the city of Hoboken got a smaller boat. So FFFRED if there's a boat fire in Hoboken, Marine 6 will be 3rd due. As long as the little blue ones don't but in.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

June 18, 2006 -- The Fire Department is spending $30 million of Homeland Security funding to build two state-of-the-art fast-response boats, equipped for the age of terror - complete with triage units, nuclear and biological decontamination showers, and anti-toxin air filters. The 140-foot-long vessels are scheduled to launch in 2008, replacing archaic firefighting tubs built between 1938 and 1954. The new ships will have names that commemorate 9/11, officials said. One will dock on Staten Island; the home base of the other has yet to be determined. "We're one rusty boat away from disaster at any time," said FDNY Marine Division Chief Jim Dalton, who said finding parts for the outdated boats is difficult, and that cutting-edge technology is required for a new mission that deals as much with "port security" as fighting waterfront blazes. "There's $180 billion each year in commerce that goes through the port of New York," Dalton said. "If a ship goes on fire and stops up the ports, you will be in effect stopping several billion dollars of commerce." He added that the boats will be equipped to protect New York's ferries, as well as handle any kind of chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive incident. Interior spaces on the boats will be able to be sealed and have an air-filtration system similar to what the Navy uses to keep out biochemical or nuclear agents. The boats will also feature decontamination showers, a triage area and a command center that will allow the crew to communicate with cops and other law-enforcement agencies. The boats will have a top speed of 20 mph - twice as fast as the old fire boats - and boast 11 high-pressure water cannons, including one that can deliver 17,000 gallons of water per minute and spray 700 feet. The boats also can be used to pump river water to firefighters on land. The boats can pump 50,000 gallons per minute up to five miles inland. "The boats are going to respond faster and be more capable when they get there," said Derek Moon, project manager for Robert Allan Ltd., the Canadian ship designer hired by the city. "They can handle a whole range of tasks. It's really bringing the fleet into the future." Currently, the FDNY has six large boats and four smaller ones. Of the large vessels, all but one were built before 1961.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

thats some amazing stuff, how many crew staff a boat and is it staffed 24/7?

Forum Member

Well all I can say is that's some more power shiite
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

The 140-foot-long vessels are scheduled to launch in 2008, replacing archaic firefighting tubs built between 1938 and 1954.

Those "archaic firefighting tubs" have done a damn good job over the years. The author of the article obviously isn't impressed

Thanks for the updates. They should be quite a sight to see when they arrive.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

I would like to see pics of the master stream flowing 17,000 gpm.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by emtcsmith
    thats some amazing stuff, how many crew staff a boat and is it staffed 24/7?
    It has varried over the years. Formerly besides a full boat crew and entire Engine Co. was also assigned. This was prior to the 1970s when pier and ship fires were far from uncommon.

Today I think there is one level of staffing for Marine Co. 1 and 9 and a lower level for Marnine Co. 6 due to it being a much smaller vessel.

Staffing is probably about the following:
    -Officer
    -Pilot
    -Engineer
    -Wiper
    -2 Firemen.

I think the Kane M-6 only has 1 fireman.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 06-18-2006 at 10:03 PM.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

FFFRED,

What is a wiper? I've heard the term used but I don't know what their official duties are. Thanks.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    FFFRED,

What is a wiper? I've heard the term used but I don't know what their official duties are. Thanks.
    More or less I've had it explained to me they are "oilers" and keep everything lubricated and running smoothly...the assistant to the Engineer.

perhaps one of our seafaring brothers on here could expand on this topic.

If anyone has experience in that field...I seem to recall seeing it in the civil service papers as an open exam at all times and they will hire you on the spot provisionally for Marine Engineers, Pilots and Wipers. I could be wrong though.

FTM-PTB

Thread Information