Future Firefighter

Default What are the different positions/jobs and how are they assigned?

I know this is a stupid question but at what point in joining a certain fire department do you find out what you will be doing in that department? Well besides cleaning and doing whatever your told. I mean like on a call. Who is going to be on the hose and who is going inside and so on...Is it assigned to you before you even join? Does the Captain or Chief make the call? Or do you get to choose? Is it determined on scene? Sorry, I'm just trying to learn some more about the different roles within a fire house.

Forum Member

That would all depend on the departments rules and/or procedures. Some departments have a setup where the guys get on the truck and then decide for themselves who is doing what. Some department wait until they get to the scene and then the IC tells each guy what they will do. Some departments have set procedures on what positions are to be filled, what the responsibilities of that position is, and who it will be assigned to (whether by seniority, choice, etc). Some departments will even go and ask "What are positions/assignments"?

My department has positions and responsibilities assigned by how the vehicle is responding, whether as a 1st due engine, 1st due truck, 2nd due, etc. The positions themselves are assigned by seniority, with the officer having the ability to re-assign people. Most times, the guys in the back will quickly decide who will do what position. Everyone is trained on each position. Each guy knows where he is strong/weak and will adjust to that.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

i like that way better than how we do it. we dont always have an officer on a truck (or in gear). and 3 of 4 trucks only carries 2 guys so when we roll first truck, the oldest guy usually runs the pump and the younger guy will stretch the line. unless the older one is an officer then its vice versa. then when an officer is 10-23 he will sometimes re-assign positions depending on manpower and severity of the incident.

Forum Member

Realistically, it depends on the department.

The full time department I'm on.....we have assigned seats and tasks.

The call department I'm on ..... it's grab a tool, or nozzle, or whatever you want.

Again, it really depends on the department you are going for.

Forum Member

Cool MY FD's RIDING ASSIGNMENTS

Engine Co Riding Assisgnments:

Riding Positions
    1 - Driver
    2 - Officer
    3 - Nozzle - Behind Driver
    4 - Irons - Behind Officer
    5 - Break - x from Nozzle
    6 - Hydrant - x from Irons

Driver -
    Stays with the pumper and operates the pump. Also performs breakman's functions if position is vacant.

Officer -
    Assigns specific duties as required. Oversees interior operations.

Irons -
    Forcible entry into the structure in the absence of a truck company. Otherwise assists with line placement and advancement. Functions as hydrant if position is vacant.

Nozzle -
    Pulls and advances the attack line.

Hydrant -
    Layout supply line. Makes hydrant connection if second due engine is delayed. Then reports to the officer for other duties.

Breakman -
    Assists pump operator with connections and hose appliances. Then reports to officer for other duties.

TRUCK CO RIDING ASSIGNMENTS

Riding Positions
    1 - Driver
    2 - Officer
    3 - OVM - Behind Driver
    4 - Irons - Behind Officer
    5 - Roof - X from OVM
    6 - Can - X from Irons

Driver -
    Stays with the ladder and operate the unit. Sets up lights and fans. If aerial device is not being used, he assists the OVM and Roof with their duties. Driver assumes the roof duty if vacant.

Officer -
    Assigns specific duties. Oversees the overall interior truck operations.

Irons -
    Forcible entry for the engine company. Ventilates the fire floor and searches for victim in the fire floor and floor above.

OVM - SFD (Single Family Dwelling):
    Ladder building, vent windows on the fire floor ahead of the engine company. Then vents windows on the floor above the fire and enters and searches for victims. If the fire is on the second floor or above, vent ahead of the engine company and assist in roof ventilation.

OVM - MFD (Multi Family Dwelling):
    Vent, enter and search the floor above the fire. If fire is on the top floor, then ladder roof and assist with ventilation.

Can Man -
    Assist engine company by venting fire floor and search for victims in the fire area. Begin overhaul and extension check.

Roof - SFD (Single Family Dwelling):
    Operates with the OVM to vent ahead and above the engine company. If fire is on the second floor or above, ladder the roof and begin ventilation.

Roof - MFD (Multi Family Dwelling):
    Makes access to the roof of fire building. Vents natural opening first, then if fire is on top floor begins to open roof with saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    HOLD THE TRUCK... RETURN THE ENGINE... WE GOT IT WITH THE CAN..

Forum Member

Trkcoemt.....you run 6 per engine and 6 per truck?

Where are you?

I'm jealous!

Forum Member

Like a lot of vollie departments,it depends on how many guys show up,which side of the district the call is,and who is capable of doing what.
    My old department doesn't have a true ladder yet,no building being higher than 2 stories,so until they do,the first in rig does the engine work and second arriving,does the truck work.
    First in is decided by where the call is as I was on a hyphenated department split by a river.If it was on one side,they were the engine,we were truck and vice versa.
    Like I said,job assignments are decided by the officer on who can do what and who he trusts to be able to figure it out on the fly.
    The point there is a lot of times,you'll just have to make do with who and what is on scene.In those cases,you might not be able to call for mutual aid but even if you can,you'll have to do the job and be as careful as you can.

Forum Member

Talking Not Tennesee... LOL :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by TrainingNut
    Trkcoemt.....you run 6 per engine and 6 per truck?

Where are you?

I'm jealous!

We are vollies. We have a unique program that is popular on the east coast and that being we have a firefighter/emt live in program.

We are 15 miles east of the city of pittsburgh, pa GO STEELERS !!!

Check out our website for further information. www.mvfd5.com

Stay Safe !!!

Chris
    HOLD THE TRUCK... RETURN THE ENGINE... WE GOT IT WITH THE CAN..

Future Firefighter

Thanks for all the info guys! Very helpful!

Thread Information