Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy FDNY Bailout System

Does anyone know anything about the bailout system being developed? I can't find much: Sterling ropes is providing the rope, the anchor hook is an inhouse design. When will it be available?

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

It can be bought at www.allhandsfire.com for 80 bucks. I think the guy that owns that is an FDNY firefighter. The believe the descent device is commercially known as a Gri-Gri.

Units are still being trained on it. And its beign used in the field as we speak. Don't think that you will buy this product if it ever comes on the common market and be able to just slap it on and use it. It takes a-lot of training to be proficent and even more to master it. And it takes time to get use to carrying the system around. It changes your loadout in your pockets and adds weight to your pants. It is a bit cumbersome, and needs getting use to. Bugs need to be worked out before it can be totally perfected....even though its damn near perfection already......

And so far, we are the only ones in the world trained to use such equipment. But give it time....I am sure you will see it in the future. It has been shown at a few of the trade shows....but I expect it will be part of the shows and on the training circut soon. The training of FDNY has to be completed before any of that happens though.
    IACOJ Member

The owner of AllHandsFire is not a FDNY member, although he does teach with some. I've known him for quite a while and will vouch for him and the training his company offers.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    The owner of AllHandsFire is not a FDNY member, although he does teach with some. I've known him for quite a while and will vouch for him and the training his company offers.

Minor confussion maybe.....just stating that commercial training....from what I know (most of the FDNY teaching this program and the ones who developed it are personnel friends of mine) in regards to the PSS, is not available to outsiders......the manuals are still be written and training is still being conducted in house only.
    IACOJ Member

Sorry VinnieB, I did not mean to imply he was offering the training on that device. I was speaking of his company's overall training opportunities. I have no idea what training is/isn't offered for this 1 device.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Couple years ago,my department was talking about a harness made of 5 looped sections of nylon(or some material with too many letters for me to spell)that looked pretty promising as a rescue harness.
    You got four around the arms and legs pulled up close into the armpits and crotch and used the fifth for a drag handle,for example.Some were even discussing if it could be worn under the turnouts or sewn into the bunker coat.I've seen a pop up ad on FH.com with a coat just like that.
    Since few things are invented in a vacuum,could these be similar?

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    Couple years ago,my department was talking about a harness made of 5 looped sections of nylon(or some material with too many letters for me to spell)that looked pretty promising as a rescue harness.
    You got four around the arms and legs pulled up close into the armpits and crotch and used the fifth for a drag handle,for example.Some were even discussing if it could be worn under the turnouts or sewn into the bunker coat.I've seen a pop up ad on FH.com with a coat just like that.
    Since few things are invented in a vacuum,could these be similar?
    I think you are thinking of the MAST harness? 5 ringed loops that are color coded? That is for FAST teams and FF removal stuff. The thing the other guys are discussing is a bag with 50' of rope and a descender attached to your personal harness. At one end of the rope is a hook than can be embedded into a wall, or looped around itself, so you can safely get out a window. (this came directly after Lt. Meyran and John Bellew leapt to their deaths last winter).
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Sorry VinnieB, I did not mean to imply he was offering the training on that device. I was speaking of his company's overall training opportunities. I have no idea what training is/isn't offered for this 1 device.

Oh Ok bro no prob, just some confussion......I would agree that Allhands is a great company.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ Member

Thread Information