Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber HenryChan's Avatar

Default Living off of health/energy bars

Has anyone discussed the ability to go through the day and workout while eating mainly health and energy bars? At the moment my schedule is pretty hectic so I've been eating a Cliff Bar and coffee for breakfast then an Odwalla Bar for lunch with a ton of water. In the late afternoon or evening I eat food

But, is it healthy to live off of bars with the variety they have now? I'm not talking about Balance Bars either, I'm talking about real bars that give actual nutrition.

Thoughts?
    Local 2068

Ive done the same thing several times recently mainely in the area of working out, but seems I burn up most of the energy pretty quikely as compared too real foods. I also drink tons of water along with this and it seems to help quite a bit.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fresh raw fruits and vegetables..

Have vitamins and minerals in their natural state, complex carbohydrates (as they were made by mother earth- unprocessed) and even digestive enzymes to help your body absorb the nutrients. Plus they are full of water. Processed food is just not the same to the body... lots of simple carbs/short chain sugars...

I could go on about protein, and the pure form that is bioavailable in lean fish, poultry, and meat.... but I would sound like your mother.

Those bars may not be as BAD for you, as McDonalds or anything (Go see that crazy movie "Supersize me!" for more info) but contrived foodstuffs are not the same as whole food. For a short period of time, you will be fine, but balance is everything. These types of bars might have some good stuff (Vitamins and minerals) in them, but they will be missing alot of things.

I say eat real whole (organic if possible) food. Whole grains. As many types and colors of vegetables and fruits as you can... as they all have different nutrients.... silly...

I would also suggest that if you are not having time to eat, that either time management or overcommitting might be a problem for you. Maybe sit down and start lopping off things that aren't absolutely necessary? I consider eating, well necessary, (sleeping and exercise are right up there), and say mowing my lawn in the middle, and washing my car at the bottem... We all have busy lives. I was a student (in class 40 hours + studying 20 per week) at one time too. While our life has different priorities at different times along it's continuom... good food HAS to be a top priority. Take the time. Food is fuel.

Dr. Jen
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 06-02-2006 at 01:32 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wouldnt do it. The bars are NOT a good source of nutrition, especially replacing two meals a day with them. They are full of simple carbs and sugars and most do not contain nearly enough calories or protein to be replacing a meal. Starving all day and then a big meal at night = fat storage and a slow metabolism.

The body needs a steady supply of nutrients throught the day. This will keep your energy levels up and keep your metabolism burning in high gear. I eat six meals a day and try to take in around 400 calories per meal.

I'd say its better than not eating anything all day long but I dont understand why you arent able to eat until late in the day??

Everyone is busy, working out and eating are things I MAKE time for.

Just my .02 cents

MembersZone Subscriber HenryChan's Avatar

I do make time for meals and snacks, but some days and weeks work is just so crazy that I'm on the road for six or more hours and it's very difficult to maintain a steady diet. But, recently I've been able to maintain a good steady diet and I use bars as a filler when needed.

Thanks for the feedback.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some other good snacks to eat if you cant refridgerate are: tuna in water or in the packets , beef jerkey, almonds, natural peanut butter, whey protein in water and raw vegetables and fruit.

Thread Information