1. #51
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    16

    Talking

    FFFRED - You do have me laughing. You have my ultimate respect though. I did not know you were from where you were from. I kind of read that later and thought "nice move, stupid" of myself. I intend no disrespect for you and your point of view. My house is busy but does not hold a candle to anything that the guys in FDNY do. Your slowest house probably handles what my department does. Then again though, it has little to do with Heffner....

    Still believe that hills worth dying on are not made out of the pages of PB. Or Enquirer or anything stupid like that. Since it is our city's fire department, ran by the City Manager/council through our fire chief, stuff like this is not debatable. Sure, it is if you want to take it the Supreme Court... Sometimes you have to chose your battles. Maybe I just haven't been around this FD block long enough so I humbly submit my opinion to you...

    I did get a degree but didn't learn much because I was so addicted to porn most of the time. I just recently have cured myself so I can go to work without being late. Still have a hard time leaving Ms. Plastic Sleeping buddy in the car though.

    And I never ever would encourage burning your porn.... You just never know when it could come in handy!

  2. #52
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Exactly my point.... I kind of still have that dow-eyed, fresh opinion that firefighters are the good guys. The guys that all people can come to and trust. What people do in the privacy of their own lives is one thing but when we start getting out arguing our right to read PB or worse, I just think it goes against what our image is.

    Then again, I just watched this weeks episode of RESCUE ME and realized that I am behind the 8 ball in what we should be doing. Gavin is showing me what a real firefighter should look like....Long way off from the Island of Malta.

  3. #53
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Somewhere cold in MI
    Posts
    401

    Default clancyxdogg

    so you are knocking me because i work at denny's? wtf? so because i go to school and 2 jobs my opinion is less then yours or ironmint's. because my hard work is my vice. just because i have a humble beginning doesn't mean i don't know what i'm talking about. ironmint was wrong and you re wrong. just back off.

  4. #54
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    16

    Talking

    I actually produced a low budget porn at a Dennys so I am not knocking it one bit. You may have seen the still pics in last months Playboy!

  5. #55
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    16

    Wink

    FFFred,

    I am not knocking your consitutional right to look at whatever you want. Really. Just remember that because you have a constitutial right to do something doesn't always make it the most appropriate thing to do

    I have to go because the midget, donkey and whipped cream strippers just got to the station!

  6. #56
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Somewhere cold in MI
    Posts
    401

    Talking

    so whats next strippers on the firepoles? how about this. we get some strippers and we get called to a fire. first thing we do we let them out then hose them down in white t-shirts. sounds like a good call to me.

  7. #57
    Forum Member
    clancyxdogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45
    so you are knocking me because i work at denny's? wtf?
    No, I'm knocking you because you're an idiot who can't string two words together.
    so because i go to school and 2 jobs my opinion is less then yours or ironmint's.
    Again, the only reason your opinion is worth less than anybody else's is because you're stupid. (HINT:Throw an extra English class into that GED program.) I also work two jobs and go to school.
    just because i have a humble beginning doesn't mean i don't know what i'm talking about.
    Well, you're right there. It's the fact that you type stupid, childishly written things on internet forums that shows you don't know what you're talking about.
    just back off.
    Back into THIS. (Can you guess where I'm pointing?)

  8. #58
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    posted by "theacrobat"...

    "Your living quarters"? I hate to tell you this but just because you work 24 hour shifts (as I do), it isn't yours! It is your station that those who hired you empowered you to be responsible for....This is a job where YOU work for the citizens of your community. You come across like everyone owes YOU... WHAT IS IN IT FOR "ME"... "WAAAAAAA,,, they want to take away my Playboy or my P***Y Party magazine!" Get over it! Don't you come to work to be a FIREMAN? Want something to read in your "downtime", why not read Firehouse??? Go out and train on something. Go drive around... Do something short of getting your rocks off (oh, sorry, reading articles) between calls....Bet you already know everything already though.
    We used to give tours of our entire HQ station, with the exception of the bunkroom area. The living quarters side of the buidling is now off limits to John and Jane Q. Public and their kids... why?

    Because after a tour of the firehouse by a group of Webelos scouts, some self righteous bible thumping mother made a complaint to the Fire Chief and City Hall about the "pornography" that adorned the walls of the weight room and what she saw on the kitchen table

    What was the "pornography" in question?

    The female firefighter's calender for the the Burn Foundation. I guess she felt that women in t-shirts, tank tops and turnouts is obscene...

    Posters from fitness magazines showing different exercises and the proper way to do them... I guses she would rather pay for IOD's...

    And in the kitchen... A brochure form a cruise line that had what appeared to be a newlywed couple sitting in their bathing suits by the pool!

    Another complaint we got was from a taxpayer, who, after getting the tour of the firehouse stated, and I kid you not, that "since my taxes paid for your gym, I have the right to come in and use it whenever I want"....

    If the station and the appratus is the "property of those who hired us, pand pay the taxes that fund our salaries "... then where the hell are they when it's time for housework and washing the rigs?

    PS: a "grateful citizen" in our fair city purchased a series of magazine subscriptions for the stations, as he or she put it "for your enjoyment while waiting for the next call"....... among them....

    Maxim, FHM, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Forbes, Field and Stream, Newsweek and CondeNast Traveler.

    PS: forgot..he/she also got us Firehouse, Fire Engineering and FireRescue magazines
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 06-27-2006 at 12:54 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  9. #59
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    The living quarters side of the buidling is now off limits to John and Jane Q. Public and their kids... why?
    We also do not take tours through the living quarters side of the station (bedrooms, locker rooms, offices, and gym). How many kids come to the station and say, "Let me see your bathrooms..." I've had zero say that, most just want to see the truck and the lights flashing and then after that they could care less what we show them. Being that we live at that station for 10 days out of the month, we should be allowed to our own privacy and the public generally understands and respects that. We tell them, "Out of respect for my fellow firefighters privacy, we won't go into the bunkroom area." No one ever questions that, and if they do, all we have to say is, "That is where we go for a 'quiet area' of the station.. whether we need to study or take a private phone call, etc." I agree that the station was paid for by taxpayers, but I'm yet to find one taxpayer who won't respect our privacy.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

  10. #60
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Somewhere cold in MI
    Posts
    401

    Angry clancyxdogg

    please stop insultng me. this is unprofessional and you are not acting like an adult. please knock it off.

  11. #61
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theacrobat
    In fact, someone use to bring their stash of Playboy and leave them in the restrooms (even though we have a policy against it)... 10 year old boy came with the tour and needed to go the bathroom (which of course we allowed him to do) and guess what he came out with!
    See, we eliminate the possibility of that happening by having a "Public" restroom on the other side of the station. It's all about C.Y.A., obviously no one did a walk through of the station before they brought the tour in.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

  12. #62
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    16

    Smile

    We tour kids through everything but the locker room/bathrooms. Surprisingly though, I have had two kids on different tours ask to see the toilet! Apparently gifted students!!!

    One kid was at the station once and asked to use the bathroom and of course, he was allowed to but the firefighter handling him didn't think about all the snuff stuff in the stall. Kid came out with eyes wide open and a nice story for mom. Everyone then was put on lock down. Needless to say, no more of those floating around outside of someone's gym bag.

    No problem with it though. If the policy is such then we either fight to change it or live by it. It just isn't a big issue for our department. Fighting something like this would not do much for us in our community nor with our city administration. We pick our battles and this is just one not worth fighting. It is a city wide policy, not just a FD thing. Sure we could get into the "domicile" thing with them but what do we stand to gain? Reading PB in the station meanwhile our community looks at us like a bunch of pervs,,,,that we are I might add! Not worth the damaged image of our beloved fire service....Once again, we pick our battles!

  13. #63
    Forum Member
    clancyxdogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45
    please stop insultng me. this is unprofessional and you are not acting like an adult. please knock it off.
    Is this your idea not being insulting and acting like an adult?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45
    i know why your name is iron mint, it is to cover the smell reeking from your pie hole. don't be trashing volleys. the city they work for either doesn't have enough calls to justify having guys 24/7 in a hall. or they can't afford it. if he wants to be a professional firefighter off the clock more power to him. stop believing that volunteers are unprofessional, there are some very good firemen out there that don't get payed to do it. just out of curiosity have you ever been a volunteer? then you would know how hard it is to volunteer. did you ever haveto leave christmas dinner to help someone? how about a kids baseball game? please remove the foot out of your mouth and apologize. nuff said
    Actually, that's good advice for you. Please remove the foot from your mouth and apologize.

  14. #64
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theacrobat
    We tour kids through everything but the locker room/bathrooms. Surprisingly though, I have had two kids on different tours ask to see the toilet! Apparently gifted students!!!

    One kid was at the station once and asked to use the bathroom and of course, he was allowed to but the firefighter handling him didn't think about all the snuff stuff in the stall. Kid came out with eyes wide open and a nice story for mom. Everyone then was put on lock down. Needless to say, no more of those floating around outside of someone's gym bag.

    No problem with it though. If the policy is such then we either fight to change it or live by it. It just isn't a big issue for our department. Fighting something like this would not do much for us in our community nor with our city administration. We pick our battles and this is just one not worth fighting. It is a city wide policy, not just a FD thing. Sure we could get into the "domicile" thing with them but what do we stand to gain? Reading PB in the station meanwhile our community looks at us like a bunch of pervs,,,,that we are I might add! Not worth the damaged image of our beloved fire service....Once again, we pick our battles!
    Name one organization other than the military that lives in their workplace...

    Name one other organiztion other than the military that has as part of it's duties the responsibility to clean their workplace...

    Name one other organization that has to babysit it's members becuase some of them don't have the common sense to keep their pieholes shut and their brains engaged....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  15. #65
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    715

    Default

    .................
    Last edited by firetruckred; 09-22-2008 at 11:57 AM.

  16. #66
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Hmm I was gonna stay outta this one.... but .... firefighting is a para-miliary organization. It is also a public service organization. I am sure that no government office has pornographic material either in place or ALLOWED. At least in Canada I know this is true. Even on the ships (which I have sailed on both before the ruling came in and after) it is not allowed. {there is a funny story of one such event that I'll tell in a few...} Anyhow, as a para-military organization and a public service organization that habitually opens its doors to the public, such material should be anywhere EXCEPT the Firehouse. Ok.. Rant Off.

    Funny Story Time: HMCS CALGARY was my last regular ship that I worked on and when I boarded, the non-porn rules had just taken effect, because we were one of the first West Coast ships to receive female officers. Anyhow, I was bunked with the Electricians and Hull Technicians (see where this is headed? LOL). My Divisional Officer was a very nice lady but she was only about 5'1' when she wore her high heels. Our bunks are 3 tiered, with the bottom of the middle bunk about mid chest height for most people EXCEPT Lt(N) Supply Officer, where she could see the bottom of the middle rack without stooping. Well an enterprising young Electrician who "lived" on the lowest rack had a Soryana (excuse spelling) Playboy print taped to the bottom of the mid rack. Apparently it had been there for almost 2yrs. She was conducting Officer of the Watch Rounds and I had the "Mis"-privilage of reporting rounds that night. I can only say that I dont know who's face was more red. Hers for finding it and realizing what it was, or me for not knowing it was there.

    As it turned out, she was a good sport about it and other than politely directing that "Perhaps that should be taken down before someone else notices", nothing more officially was said. Although it did make the rumour mill and the XO conducted rounds the next night. I heard that he specifically looked underneath to confirm and then made a humour remark about it. Of course the print had "migrated" to another location by then.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

    "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

    "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

    Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

    impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

    IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

  17. #67
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Hmm I was gonna stay outta this one.... but .... firefighting is a para-miliary organization.
    That means it is organized like the military and it is similar to the military...however it isn't the military. Also is porn not allowed on a military base? (don't know just asking) Big difference between civil service jobs and enlisted military and Military laws.

    It is also a public service organization. I am sure that no government office has pornographic material either in place or ALLOWED. At least in Canada I know this is true.
    Perhaps in Canada this is true...we however are talking about the United States of America and the laws and rules that govern it. And we have this little thing called the 1st Amendment. Voluntary employment doesn't (in this country anyhow) automaticly remove you from your inalienable rights.

    Too many of you simpletons are focused on the so called "porn" issue. You'd rather use these hot button words rather than discuss the true nature of this topic which is censorship and interference with 1st amdendment rights. However no one has cared to address the issues with other materials and why those are permisible and who can determine why they are and who made them the superior judge on what adults can read during their down time.

    Don't be so easily led with sensationalistic notions as Porn and focus on the real issues.

    FTM-PTB

  18. #68
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    Also is porn not allowed on a military base? (don't know just asking)
    When I last visited friends on base, at the barricks, there was plenty of porn around. I'm not exactly sure what the rules are about it, but it certainly was in their rooms. Also, a lot of Maxim/FHM type pictures up.. but I do not consider that porn, some people do.

    Just out of curiosity, what size departments do ya'll work for where the administration actually has time to care about what you're reading in the john.. or in the bunkroom.. or what pictures you have up in your locker.. etc.? I'm not putting down any departments, I'm just curious.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

  19. #69
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Somewhere cold in MI
    Posts
    401

    Default English and grammer

    since we are on the topic this might be interesting.

    http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictu...roven+Research
    Last edited by mcfd45; 06-28-2006 at 12:23 AM.

  20. #70
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Somewhere cold in MI
    Posts
    401

    Default a ? from a friend

    i am asking a question on behalf of a close friend. if no other occupation allows for porn at work why are firefighters so special? would it be ok for a teacher to read the playboy while taking a test? firefighting is a profession, name one profession were it would be ok to have pornography at work. my friend says if you want to play with your hose wait til the end of your shift.

  21. #71
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Not so much a matter of censorship as it is bascially common decency based on the fact that a firehouse is open to the public, and it is a mixed gender environment. I think this is one of those times where potential sexual harassment might trump 1st Amendment rights.

    Basically it comes down to this one question: "What would PrudentMan say in this situation?"

    The story has already been related where vistors to one Firehouse had a wee one use the "facilities", came out with the Big Eyes and promptly told Mommy all about his adventure. That story alone should be enough for any prudent person to say "Hmmm..." and take appropriate action.

    My comment about "In Canada" was pertaining to what we call S.H.A.R.P. training - watered down it translates to taking harassment awareness training. It is mandatory for the Armed Forces and most large civilian corporations seem to have something similar, although I am not sure what acronym they use.

    Ya sure, we spend more than half our time living in the Firehouse, but ya know like mcfd45 said:

    would it be ok for a teacher to read the playboy while taking a test? firefighting is a profession, name one profession were it would be ok to have pornography at work. my friend says if you want to play with your hose wait til the end of your shift.
    Is it gonna kill ya to wait 24hr? If so, maybe you should check in with a Therapist....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

    "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

    "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

    Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

    impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

    IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

  22. #72
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,678

    Default

    When the teacher is in their classroom teaching, I care what they are reading. Just like when a FF is on a call.

    When the teacher is on their break in their lounge, I don't care what they are reading. Just like when the FF is on their "downtime".


    and it's their right (both of them) to read what they like.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  23. #73
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,678

    Default Saw this and thought it was partially relevant.

    Awkward Moments Abound in Penis Pump Trial
    By SHAUN SCHAFER
    Associated Press Writer

    BRISTOW, Okla. - Serving on the jury in an indecent-exposure trial unfolding in this conservative Oklahoma town has been a giggle-inducing experience.
    Former Judge Donald D. Thompson, a veteran of 23 years on the bench, is on trial on charges he used a penis pump on himself in the courtroom while sitting in judgment of others.

    Over the past few days, the jurors have watched a defense attorney and a prosecutor pantomime masturbation. A doctor has lectured on the lengths the defendant was willing to go to enhance his sexual performance.

    The white-handled sexual device sits before the jury box for hours at a time. Occasionally an attorney picks it up and squeezes the handle, demonstrating the "sh-sh" sound of air rushing through the contraption's plastic tubing.

    The jurors sometimes exchange awkward looks and break into nervous laughter when the testimony takes a lurid turn.

    Thompson, 59, is charged with four counts of indecent exposure, each punishable by up to 10 years in prison. If convicted, he would also have to register as a sex offender, and his $7,489.91-a-month pension would be in jeopardy.

    Thompson's former court reporter, Lisa Foster, wiped away tears as she described tracing an unfamiliar "sh-sh" in the courtroom to her boss. She testified that between 2001 and 2003 she saw Thompson expose himself at least 15 times.

    "I was really shocked and I was kind of scared because it was so bizarre," said Foster.

    She testified that during a trial in 2002, she heard the pump during the emotional testimony of a murdered toddler's grandfather.

    The grandfather "was getting real teary-eyed, and the judge was up there pumping on that pump," she said. "It was sickening."

    The allegations came to light after a police officer who was in Thompson's court heard pumping sounds and took photos of the device during a break in the proceedings.

    Thompson took the stand in his own defense, saying the device was a gag gift from a longtime friend with whom he had joked about erectile dysfunction. He said he kept the pump under the bench or in his office but didn't use it.

    "In 20-20 hindsight, I should have thrown it away," he said.

    The R-rated testimony has produced occasional outbursts of laughter and surreal scenes. A man who once served as a juror in Thompson's court testified that he never saw the device, but figured out what it was based on movies he had seen.

    The comment sent sidelong glances through the courtroom.

    "It sounded like a penis pump to me," Daniel Greenwood testified. He said he had seen such devices in "Austin Powers" and "Dead Man on Campus."

    Dr. S. Edward Dakil, a urologist called as an expert witness, repeatedly prompted laughter from the jury when discussion turned to the penis pump. Dakil defended use of the device after defense attorney Clark Brewster said it was an out-of-date treatment for erectile dysfunction.

    "I still use those," Dakil testified.

    Brewster paused.

    "Not you, personally?" he asked.

    "No," Dakil responded as jurors laughed. "I recommend those as a urologist."
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  24. #74
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45
    i am asking a question on behalf of a close friend. if no other occupation allows for porn at work why are firefighters so special? would it be ok for a teacher to read the playboy while taking a test? firefighting is a profession, name one profession were it would be ok to have pornography at work. my friend says if you want to play with your hose wait til the end of your shift.
    Ask your "friend" to "define" pornography...

    For some people, it's raunchy magazines like Hustler and Club, for some it's Playboy... for others it's the swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated or the lingerie pages of the JC Penney catalog.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  25. #75
    Forum Member
    HeavyRescueTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    just out of curiosity, if a female firefighter in the firehouse gets offended by Fred's reading of the playboy/hustler/Juggs, can she file a sexual harrassment complaint? and if so, would she have a valid case?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

    FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fire in our firehouse...
    By 911brad in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 04:32 PM
  2. Will Bronx firehouse close?
    By FFFRED in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 10:00 AM
  3. Cleanest Vol. Firehouse Kitchen Awards
    By NJFFSA16 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 01:38 PM
  4. Atlantic County Firehouse up in Flames!
    By mdoddsjffhnfc in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 11:15 AM
  5. Atlantic County Firehouse destroyed
    By mdoddsjffhnfc in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 10:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register