Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green Roofs

MembersZone Subscriber fireslayer1237's Avatar

Default Green Roofs

We just got a green roof in my district and there are alot of questions i have about them. i have no clue on how to fight a fire in this building there is no way to vent it. also all of the heating duct work is under the floor. it has a completly open space under the floor allowing for unlimited amount of fire travel if anyone coul give me some advice that would be great

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure what you mean by green roof. Do you have any pictures of the building you could post?
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber fireslayer1237's Avatar

what it is is a roof with with concrete then 6" of gravel followed by a few inches of topsoil then some grass and plants

Forum Member

Random Thoughts / Questions:

1) There aren't any skylights or other built-in vertical ventilation structures?

2) Was there an intent by the architect / engineer to use the HVAC for smoke removal?

3) Part of "Green" buildings are windows that open so you can take advantage of natural winds and minimize using AC. If that is the case for this building, that would be an advantage in horizontal ventilation normally not seen in commercial buildings with non-opening windows.

4) Can you include in your budget for a Crane and Bobcat w/backhoe attachment

5) When in doubt, JetAxe. <-- Ok, that's only something I wished I had been around long enough to play with

Forum Member

I saw that on one of those PBS gardening shows awhile back and it made me think. Not only does it provide issues in terms of ventilation, but it also makes you question the entire concept of even starting interior operations. The extra weight of the soil and plnats on the roof, combined with the loss of structural integrity as the fire progresses would certainly make me think long and hard about entering the fire building.

I doubt we will ever see that here, so in all honesty, it's not something that I have given a tremendous amount of thought to. Would seem to me that vertical ventilation would require a "digging out" of the dirt over the area that you want to vent, plus the use of a heavy duty K-12 type saw to work through the additional layers of construction materials under the dirt. From what I remember from watching the program, the soil depths on most of theses green roofs range from 8" to 16". I can imagine by the time you remove the dirt then make the cut, the roof will have become very unstable and unsafe due to the increased weight. Seems to me like operations in this building requires a department discussion as to what level of involvement will stop offensive operations.

Fireslayer... residental roofs do not use concrete but often use a neoprene type material or membrane to keep the water from sinking on in. There is often an additional alyer or two of plywood to support the weight as well.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-03-2006 at 06:30 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lets see, firefighters and explosives (JetAxe). What could possibly go wrong?

I suppose you could use the Strongarm for the buildings lacking proper points for ventilation,

-------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

LA's post for some reason tickled my memory cells...

While not at the scale of a commercial building, my town has at least two "underground homes" similiar to this:

built during the last energy crisis.

Probably the only thing that will save us from a re-birth today is everyone seems to want 2,500 s.f. and up. (Side note, love to see their finances this winter of some of those new super-sized houses when their mortgage interest rate and heating costs are both up significantly from last year!!!)

Essentially, we would have to treat it like an occupied, walk-in basement fire.

At best, these houses only have casement windows on three sides, with the only full size windows on the southern exposure; hopefully another door on the northside. Still, limited ventilation oppurtonities.
    Last edited by Dalmatian190; 06-03-2006 at 09:00 PM.

From the sounds of it this building sounds like it would be a oversized oven if it were to catch fire. I would bring hot dogs and have a cookout then you know your people will go home safe! There's a underground house not to far from where were at but I think it's vacant on a lighter note, good luck and hopefully we won't have to deal with anything like that around here.BE SAFE

MembersZone Subscriber

We have one of these "under ground" houses in our distric, I went through it while it was being built, concrete walls floor and roof. There are no windows and a small vent, it would be a nightmair to try to search or fight a fire.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

Okay...thread two...I vote for JetAxe.

I'm going to make a shirt that says....

"bring back JetAxe"
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Thread Information