Forum Member

Default a few questions (background)

hey, im new here so..

i just have a few questions about becoming a firefighter.

-is the background check as extensive as the background check to become a police officer, ive heard lots of stories of small things that disallow someone to become a cop, and i was just wondering if firefighting is the same, or if they are more leniant in some areas
    -are the physical tests extremely hard? i was a decent athlete in high school, and i have kept in shape (im not obese) but im in no way really athletic (i get tired after running about half a mile), do you think with a little more work i would be sufficent enough to pass?
    -in high school i was immature and did alot of things like taking pictures up girls skirts, and stole a few things (less than $100 worth) but since that was about 3-4 years ago at least, do you think that would still affect my application?
    -i heard that it really helps if you have had alot of jobs in the past, but i only worked at a fast food place for a little less than a year my senior year, and havnet held a job since (ive been in school). Of course i do plan to become a EMT and such, do you think this fact will hurt me?

thank you

Forum Member

Default Need help

Sounds like you need to mature and get your head streight. I would get a steady job hit the books and take college classes. i.e. Fire Science and see if you really want to be a Fire Fighter. The amount of jobs is not critical as to being stable and can take care of yourself. Take it one day at a time and quit with the juvinile antics.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire

MembersZone Subscriber

Well said Jay.

Yes, the background investigation is every bit as comprehensive for fire as it is for PD. In fact, oftentimes the PD will do the backgrounds for fire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley
    Sounds like you need to mature and get your head streight. I would get a steady job hit the books and take college classes. i.e. Fire Science and see if you really want to be a Fire Fighter. The amount of jobs is not critical as to being stable and can take care of yourself. Take it one day at a time and quit with the juvinile antics.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    i have goten my act together since then, i was just wondering if mistakes i made in high school would affect my chances in this career. right now im enrolled in fire science at a local community college, as well as taking college classes.

Forum Member

Default Problems

Problems in the past do come back to haunt you. When asked by a background investigator about your past transgressions....be honest and do not hold anything back. If you do ...trust me there are people out there who when asked will drop a dime on you in a heart beat.
    I can say we all do things we wish we didn't do. You just have to own up to them when the time comes.
    Good luck in the future.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Ddudley, Retired

Thread Information