Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alf Problems??

Default Alf Problems??

Does any fd have a ALF, that when you start it it has no lights,emerg lights,radio etc? Our truck had alot of problems when we first got it (my shift would be over before I could type all of them) anyway this last year it's been working great just like it's suppose to,so the other night we had a camper fire and the truck started acting up again. I was just wondering if anybody else had this type of problem. We called the company that takes care of our warranty work but they can't work on it until the end of this month or early july wich I think is BS, so we called the plant and they think it's the battery switch so they are mailing us one and we have to put it in ourselves. I think when you pay almost 400,000 for a truck it would be more reliable and put together better than what it is.BE SAFE

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe you should've been tied with the other dept that had problems in the parade last night as the comical unit!!!!! haha

Forum Member

We have a Horton ambulance that does something similar. Start it up, no lights. But as soon as you get on the street, they come on and work fine. We identified it as a function of the load shedding system. Low battery voltage after starting the engine, even though it's plugged in. Load shedder sees low voltage, doesn't allow the lights to come on. As soon as the alternators start turning above idle, the voltage comes up and everything's fine.

Anyone check for loose connections between the batteries and the battery switch? At one time we had bad experiences with radio installers doing sloppy work making their hook ups. After changing installers, the problem went away.

What alternator(s) does it have? What's the output at idle? Too many truck builders don't want to use alternators that have high idle output. They cost big $$, and present installation challenges. So they convinced NFPA to require load shedders instead. Big cop-out.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default alf problems

Load shedders arn't supposed to shed main emergency warning lights or headlights or tail lights etc. But does sound like you had a low battery voltage when truck was started or maybe a loose ground to the chassis! A loose ground cable will cause intermittant problems.

Forum Member

Exclamation Fix your Horton

Chiefengineer11-

The problem you discribed with your horton is a Ford that should have been addressed by Horton during production. Ford has a work around for this issue. I would check with your Local Ford Dealer.

It's not a load shedding issue but rather a protection feature of the electrically/alt. that Ford has built in to protect it against startup loads.

Good Luck
    GB

Forum Member

To 640 at the North Pole - thanks very much for that bit of info. It may well be operating as Ford and Horton intended. As long as the lights come on predictably and reliably, I'm going to leave it alone. But I will continue to monitor it for any change. At least, now I know where to go with it if there is a problem. Thanks again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11
    To 640 at the North Pole - thanks very much for that bit of info. It may well be operating as Ford and Horton intended. As long as the lights come on predictably and reliably, I'm going to leave it alone. But I will continue to monitor it for any change. At least, now I know where to go with it if there is a problem. Thanks again.

GB: If you are from the North Pole where am I from???? considering I am the next town NORTH

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Simular incidents.....

We have had simular problems with our Departments American LaChance...... per our Vehicle Services Division Chief our Department is done dealin' with them. Our trucks are brand new and they have refused to do the repairs under the warranty.

This may be an isolated incident but so form your own opinion.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefDog
    GB: If you are from the North Pole where am I from???? considering I am the next town NORTH
    True north / Magnetic north

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department had a problem with just the cab lights not working. The problem was a bad ground block.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have an 04' Eagle. After spending the first year sending truck back for work it is mostly ok. Problems we still have are the paint falling of the back, letters on one door peeling, air horns only work part of the time, and a parking light not working. But the truck functions well for the most part.

Thread Information