Forum Member

Question Gettin hired at 19 vs. Navy corpsman

By the end of this year, I will have finished my EMT-P and FFI FFII and was a little concerned about a few things. At 19, I'm obviously a lot younger than almost everyone and I'm concerned about being able to get hired and fit in at such a young age. I'm seriously considering joining the Navy as a corpsman if my age (and lack of life experience) has a negative effect, on what I want to be, my lifelong career. So, what's everyone's opinion on this? Try and get hired and let my work ethic shadow my "youngness" or join the Navy as a corpsman?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SouthFlaHopeful
    By the end of this year, I will have finished my EMT-P and FFI FFII and was a little concerned about a few things. At 19, I'm obviously a lot younger than almost everyone and I'm concerned about being able to get hired and fit in at such a young age. I'm seriously considering joining the Navy as a corpsman if my age (and lack of life experience) has a negative effect, on what I want to be, my lifelong career. So, what's everyone's opinion on this? Try and get hired and let my work ethic shadow my "youngness" or join the Navy as a corpsman?
    I have been trying since July of last year, to get hired by ANY Virginia Fire Dept, and I landed Fairfax, which is the department I wanted. I start in 3 weeks. The only opinion I can give you is take every test that is out there. I have must have spent over $2000.00 in gas and hotels in the past year driving back and forth from NY to VA, and well worth it.. You have ALS Cert, that is a biggie right there. It also depends on where you want to go. Try and look outside of FL. There are alot of big dept's out there, that pay better then most FL departments and will take you in a heartbeat just because of your ALS. Just don't give up. I almost did, but got what I wanted in the end, and so will you. And being young is not such a bad thing, that just means that you don't have any bad habbits yet. Or if you do, they can be broken (can't teach an old dog new tricks). I would think twice about the Navy. Unless it's something you really want to. Don't join the Navy just because you feel you have nowhere else to go. Remember, the Marines don't have medical, they use the Navy. You will be the first ones in if poo-poo hits the fan. Good Luck.

Cheers

MembersZone Subscriber

If it helps you out any. I was 18 and had my FF 1/2 and my paramedic patch. I was hired on 3 months after turning 19. I am now 21 and got two years it. At first, you had to prove yourself, like any new guy but a little more was expected out of you. Just watch your mouth and work hard and thats all they want. Do that and you got no problems.

Just, when you interview make sure you tell them: I may be younger than most, but I hope that by example, it shows that I am more mature than other people my age. I have worked hard to get where I am at now and I do not act my age. Something along those lines. It worked for me.

Forum Member

I would continue trying to get a job and then as a last option I would say join the Navy but if your not 100% then you shouldnt join.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Thanks for all the responses. I guess its unanimous...get hired!

MembersZone Subscriber

I disagree with the above posts. Let me preface by saying that I got hired at 20 years old and if I had it to do all over again I would have joined the military or gone to college and earned a 4-year degree.

There is so much more to life than pursuing and getting hired on the fire department. At 19 years old you have your entire life ahead of you.

Many department will think twice about hiring a 19 year old. I can tell you that I recommended a 21-year old for hire when I sat on the Chief's orals a couple of months ago but overall young people cannot compare with older candidates. Of course there is always an exception to the rule.

My advice:
    Join the military, serve your country, learn about yourself in the process you have become a candidate we all want to hire.

Good luck,
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

You serve your country both ways. Do what you want to do deep down.

And remember..... i'm looking at retiring at 39 making 80% of my base salary. Leave that, and go work another twenty and draw in two retirements. If your dream is to go fire, then do it. Get hired on and get your college paid for. But, if you want to go around the world doing whatever, then do it.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the responses. I guess its unanimous...get hired!
    I think you should do what YOU want and what YOU feel is the right decision. I dont think you should let a few people on a forum decide what you should be doing with your life. Yeah you can see what everyone has to say about it but ultimately it comes down to you. The only thing I would consider about the military is what if your in for a while and you dont want to do it and I mean with a passion want to change your mind well by then its a little too late.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY101TRUCK
    I think you should do what YOU want and what YOU feel is the right decision. I dont think you should let a few people on a forum decide what you should be doing with your life. Yeah you can see what everyone has to say about it but ultimately it comes down to you. The only thing I would consider about the military is what if your in for a while and you dont want to do it and I mean with a passion want to change your mind well by then its a little too late.
    Of course it's my decision, but it's nice to get an outside opinion.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Join up

Just to add my two cents.....I joined the Navy at 18 served for four years 68-72. I was hired by the Fed's as a Firefighter till 76 then was hired by the City of Long Beach. I was able to retire @ 50 and move to Idaho. I did not regret one minute my decision to join....And it was during Viet Nam.
    You do what your heart says and you'll never go astray... I hope this helps

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire

Forum Member

Get hired if you can. The younger you are the better. It is a young mans job. The job field is so competitive and you got to take the job offer when you can. I took me over 5 years to get a job offer. I didn't get hired until age 32 and won't have my 25 years until 57. Hopefully my health will be ok and will be able to start another career. If your situation doesn't look promising in the near future, then join the military. Preferbly the air force. They seem to have the best lifestyle. You could even use your paramedic skills as a Pararescue jumper. The military is a good option.

MembersZone Subscriber

Two things of advice
    1. I was 20 and in the same boat as you. I took the military road (or somewhat military road some would say, ha ha) and went in to the Air Force, knowing that I would get out in 4 years. I spent those 4 years knowing my job, but also preparing myself to get a job as a firefighter. It worked well for me. I was well on my way to getting hired at age 20, but just wanted the life experience. I feel that it has helped me big time in my department where I work. Getting along with guys, sharing stories with some of the older vets. Remember a lot of guys hired 20-30 years ago were vets.
    2. IF you do decide to try and get hired now at age 19, understand your situation. Many of the 19-20 year olds I know that have been hired are quite immature. And mostly they just don't shut up. But someone like you who has gone through medic school has already shown some initiative so that is a bonus. But on the flipside, you are a very young and I would guess inexperienced medic.
    Good luck though and either way you will make a good decision.............

Forum Member

Why not do the best of both worlds? I would think joining the AF would be the way to go! With your certs you would be able to get a guaranteed job as a firefighter.The AF life is a whole lot better than the other branches IMHO and the other fire training will be second to none. After 4 years you will have a butt-load of IFSAC certificates (all paid for by the AF) that will help huge when you want to be a civilian and work for a muni or even Fed fire dept. I'm talking airport firefighter, driver-operator everything, haz-mat Tech and I/C, and depending on your motivation even some of the officer/inspector/instructor certifications. Add to all of this a chance to see some of the world, a free place to live, and a paycheck! Another thing to remember is that a lot of municipalities (as well as the feds) give veterans preference points when applying. Also, a good military record shows any potential employer that you have discipline, have gotten some great work experience, can follow orders and have been exposed to leadership traits. Plus you can get an associates degree in fire science with the AF community college. And you can get a GI bill for any further advanced classes you want. I'd go into a whole range of other cool veterans benefits but am trying to stay on the fire side. No, I'm not a recruiter but I am an Asst. Chief for a fed dept.

Thread Information