Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Interesting about alarms...

Vermont State Police require a $50/annual registration for burgular alarm responses:

http://www.dps.state.vt.us/vtsp/alarms/index.html

Which I offer as an interesting idea since I know sometimes people ask about alternative funding sources.

How I found this is a story in itself...and I'm not sure if this is an example of out-of-control Googling or a Ritalin deficiency...

I went for a Sunday drive this past weekend in the Green Mountains. Saw the Harriman Reservoir, and curious I googled for it, which somehow brought up a link to VT State Police Troop D / Brattleboro...and saw the "alarm link"

See, only three degrees of seperation from "What is that Lake and why is it here?" to knowing the VSP's burgular alarm policy

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    How I found this is a story in itself...and I'm not sure if this is an example of out-of-control Googling or a Ritalin deficiency...
    Don'tcha just love those...?
    I went for a Sunday drive this past weekend in the Green Mountains. Saw the Harriman Reservoir, and curious I googled for it, which somehow brought up a link to VT State Police Troop D / Brattleboro...and saw the "alarm link"
    The Harriman is a great place from what I've heard. A few co-workers go up there every winter for the big ice fishing derby they have...I got invited for next year...something about 15 guys in a few campers and buckets for toilets just doesn't do it for me though....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

The alarm fee really is because of all the pain in the butt false alarms received at the 911 center for unregistered users.... Not to mention people were installing alarms, pointing them to "911" , and then having the alarm hangup which initiates a PD response (at minimum).
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

a good idea, but which would you (as the firefighter) have, a false alarm at 3am, or a fire that has been burning since 3am that has the alarm sounding but no notifications made, being called in at 7am (when the first commuter calls in on his cell phone saying fire showing) with heavy fire showing in a commercial store or warehouse?

we all need to deal with BS alarms, but would you rather not be notified when it is the real thing because a bussiness owner doesn't want to pay the fine?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I agree that it is a sticky line to cross.

I don't like to see a bunch of false alarms either, but we have to expect a significant amount of false alarms for every working fire. That is not a bad thing.

I prefer a system where you are permitted so many automatic responses for free (i.e. 3 per year residential, 6 or more for major commercial), and then you start paying for the excessive calls with an increasing surcharge each time.

It encourgages the delinquint owner to fix a faulty or overly sensitive alarm before it starts to cost him hundreds of dollars in response fees, but doesn't discourage the majority of homeowners or businesses from using thier alarms in the first place.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

There are several municipalities near me that require permits for alarms, and fine those without the permit. The reasoning behind the permit isn't so much a revenue creating one, it helps insure properly installed alarms (they only allow liscenced contractors to install in their town), an idea of how many alarms are actually out there, and keeps an updated contact list available. Prior to these ordinances, a thunderstorm rolling thru would generate dozens of alarms many without a contact number for anyone connected to the occupancy. Since they passed this, the number of alarms during a storm has dropped considerably.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I wish there was a fee charged in the Malahat area. There is one commercial outlet in particular which likely has already had at least one false alarm this season, and will have 3 to 5 before end of summer.

The real problem is the sensors in the "bell" towers. The humidity is (I think) what sets them off. Not a real problem except that Management has directed the Duty Managers to FIRST call off the Fire Dept, TWO, hit the annunciator panel to cancel the alarm and THREE cancel the Alarm Company.

If by chance a truck manages to get to the site before the Manager can call us off, they run to meet us in the driveway and wave us off that way, without allowing a proper inspection. One of these days they are going to do their routine, and the whole place is going to burn down, with full occupancy because they do everything they can to dissuade the patrons from evacuating.

As boring and tedious as it is, I'd rather chase down a false alarm than get there when its well and done too late.

Before I moved, it was my wish and desire to be able to rig a hose line and charge it before the Duty Manager called us off. I made it to the tailboard and hand on nozzle once, but that was as close as I ever got.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Well, you could say that the alarm was an "Emergency Call", and claim your powers of entry under the fire services act.

If you show up enough times and disrupt business with a 20 minute search and inspection (BRT front and center with lights going outside of course), it might be annoying enough to convince the owner to fix the problem.

And Rick, I met Rob the new Malahat Chief at the Fire Chief's conference last week. We had an interesting discussion on the state of the union. It sounds like things are slowly getting back to normal.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Kuul on the Chief's conf Glad to hear things went well. And yes, things back home seen to be settling nicely now, and thats a good thing.

As for the alarm problem, the Managers virtually barred the way in, and essentially would chase us away. And of course in the interests of public relations, we never pushed the issue. There would have been no real gain to do so, unfortunately.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite
    a good idea, but which would you (as the firefighter) have, a false alarm at 3am, or a fire that has been burning since 3am that has the alarm sounding but no notifications made, being called in at 7am (when the first commuter calls in on his cell phone saying fire showing) with heavy fire showing in a commercial store or warehouse
    Apples to oranges. Fire Alarms are handled completely differently then a break in alarm. This is strictly for the State PD to respond to rural alarms in the middle of no where.

Edit: If you read through the linked page.. You would have seen...

Note - If there is a verified emergency at your house/business, the VSP will respond whether or not you have registered your alarm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Thread Information