MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Golf Nut....eerrr I Mean Golf Cart Safety

GOLF CARTS

How to Keep Them on a Safe Course. By Catherine Jones

Weíre two days from tee time for the 2006 U.S. Open. So letís dedicate this issue to golf cart safety.

Golf Carts Arenít Just for Golfers

I donít play golf. Nor, I suspect, do a lot of you. It doesnít matter. This story isnít just about golf. Thatís because golf carts are no longer just on golf courses. You see them all over ó on campuses, large plant facilities and in warehouses. Theyíre also typically used as work vehicles to transport workers and equipment from one building or job site to another.

Golf Carts Arenít Toys

Safe use of golf carts is an important topic. This is especially true when you consider that workers have a tendency to view them as toys and ride around on them without worrying about the danger.

But golf carts are dangerous. They can tip over, tumble down damp hills and collide with other vehicles. Golf cart fatalities have involved strangulation, drowning and head trauma.

Safety Tips

Share these golf cart tips with your employees to help them protect themselves, their passengers and their co-workers.

a. Before You Drive. Make sure the horn, brakes and lights work. Check the back-up alarm, tire pressure and battery fluid. Before packing up, ensure the area behind you is clear of all obstacles, including vehicles and pedestrians.

b. When You Drive. Drive only in designated areas and stay off city streets. Drive beside pedestrian walkways (not on them). Observe all standard rules of the road, such as coming to a complete stop at stop signs, signaling before a turn and keeping to the right, except to pass. (M27 Note: that means no "Bump-to-Pass" ) Yield to other vehicles and pedestrians. Donít drive faster than a quick-paced walk. Slow down in wet conditions, on steep slopes, when approaching corners, intersections or blind spots, and in areas of heavy pedestrian traffic. Slow down for speed bumps and uneven pavement. Keep off curbs. To avoid tipping, drive the cart straight up and straight down slopes Ė not on a diagonal. Donít drive while distracted. If something other than driving the cart has your attention, stop the vehicle. This includes eating, talking on a cell phone or jotting down notes.

c. Passenger Safety. Observe passenger limits. Only two people should ride in a two-person cart and four in a four-person cart. Wear the seatbelt and make sure passengers wear theirs. Donít stand up in a moving golf cart and donít let your passengers either. (M27 Note: I've never seen a cart with seat belts)

d. Stopping and Parking. Donít park in front of emergency exists, fire hydrants, fire lanes, sidewalks, ramps or doors. When parking, set the brake, place the cart in neutral and remove the key. Secure the parked golf cart with a cable or other locking mechanism.

e. Transporting Goods. If the golf cart is used to transport equipment, there are some special safety rules to consider:

Transport materials during periods of low traffic and pedestrian activity

Donít overload the cart. Take only the bare minimum.

Make sure the materials are securely fastened.

Loads should not extend more than a foot from either side or front of the golf cart.

Use brightly colored material to flag any loads that extend more than three feet (one meter) from the rear of the cart.

Conclusion

Of course, these tips also apply to golf cart recreational use. Treat a golf cart as you would any motor vehicle ó with care and attention.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

The only reason I go golfing is to drive the golf cart like an idiot...otherwise golf is just like fishing...boring as hell and frustrating!
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

It's funny that you should mention this as I almost killed one of these the other day. Myself and a friend were out golfing and put a little too much abuse on the cart to say the least. By the end of the round we had to shift into Neutral, floor it, put it in reverse to start moving, then shove in in forward!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

So you're saying that playing "Golf Cart Polo" is not safe?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    So you're saying that playing "Golf Cart Polo" is not safe?

Safe: maybe.....Fun: YOU BET YOUR *** IT IS!

360's and control slides and going into a creek can't be good for them either......and that's just the beginning.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not guilty of this, but I know some Hull Technicians that I sailed with some years ago who were: taking a cart and 4x4ing and creek fording at the Admiral (?) Golf Course in Miramar, CA.

Oh and Golf Cart Polo is fun.... just don't get caught!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

You know I wish I would have read this a couple years earlier. I went golfing one morning and the grass was still wet and I had to back the cart up going down a small hit well somehow I turned the wheel and I slide out of the cart and it started to roll away so here I am running after this golf cart down this hill...

The only reason I go golfing is to drive the golf cart like an idiot...
    EXACTLY lol
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

When I grow up I want one of these
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

When I was in high school i worked for a grocery store and they had those "mart-carts" for like older people and people who want to take all the work out of walking. If you charged them up to full you could get them to do wheelies by going as fast as they can possible go backward then slamming it into forward! translation: go about 2 miles an hour backward and slide the "throttle" as quickly into rabbit as it would go. They have a little lip in the back so once you got them up they stayed up and you could tool around with them. We would also do burn outs in the store when it was rainy or snowy out and the floors were slick. It really wasn't as much fun as im trying to make it sound but when you weren't old enough have a license and you hated your after school job its a lot of fun.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

And some people say that today's youth have no ingenuity or motivation
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

You should have seen the excitement on our faces when one of us idiots accidently discovered we could do that. That poor store is probably still recovering from me. I can remember when they got sick of me doing wheelies all over the place and transferred (stuck) me in produce. One day they left me all alone in the produce prep room with a knife and a never ending supply of stuff i could ninja chop in the air. This was fun for about a 20 minutes until the store manager/produce manager/grocery manager walked around the corner as I was mid swing to send an orange to meet its maker. It was really hard to explain why it looked like a produce massacre. There was also the going the distance shots with all of the glass recyclables, basically trying to through a glass bottle the length of the warehouse into the containers we were supposed to carefully place them in. GOOD TIMES!!! Man I miss high school, work sucks and college is hard.

Forum Member

Did you know if you flip the seat up you can use a golf tee to stick in the governer of the cart. Boy will those things fly! I mean honestly they pervoking us to do by making a golf tee the perfect size to fit in the hole.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Just take along the leatherman and reset the governor, that way the throttle change is permanent and no one can figure out what was done to the cart until they bring in the service guy. Fixing small engines as a teen has its advantages.

Won't talk about some of the fun moves you can do on the driving range while the dew is still on the grass, instead of shagging the balls. Like hanging off the back and trying to shag while someone else drives... Yes the good old days, young and indestructible in our own minds.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thinking of things "Golf", on the ride in this morning I saw a personal licence plate that read:

TYM4GLF

Thread Information