1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Habersham County, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3

    Default from probi to asst. chief

    id really like to have some feed back on this one, im a lieutenant for a small fd in georgia, ive been Lt for 6 years now, member since 93, NPQ FF 2,EMT-I, NPQ instructor 2, fire inspector, leadership 123, micto 123, just to name a few. my problem is a guy that works here has just gotten off of probation in april and in may after being appointed by our fire chief is now my asst chief, he does not have NPQ1 which our sop states u will have in the first year while on probation, he is a post certified police officer, and was an asst police chief and then police chief for a combined 3 years, that was my fire chiefs reason for putting him in the position because he had management skills for those 3 years, i guess me being a shift supervisor for 6 years is not the same thing, now remember he was only the boss of 4 people as police officer. He and the chief go way back as friends so i figure im just screwed, he and i were the only two that put in for the job and id like your opinon on if there is anything i can do, or am i just blowing this out of proportion and just go with the flow. oh yeah i cant go to my county manager or human res. because the fire chief has made it clear that we would be fired on the spot. please help hcfd820. you can e-mail me at hcfd820@yahoo.com or here im a member, thanks again for your help

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    42

    Default

    --------------
    Last edited by POWERSLADDER2; 08-26-2007 at 09:18 PM.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    dragonfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Birdsboro, PA
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Maybe he knows how to type using proper puncuation marks and capital letters to start sentences.

    It's hard for anyone to take your seriously when you post like that. Is there any public presentations you would have to do? Having one big run-on sentence could be embarrassing to the department.

    Are you really Instructor 2? Don't think I'd like to see your power point presentations.

    I hope that if you put your complaint in writing you'll use this constructive criticism before you write it.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Habersham County, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3

    Default Thanks Alot

    Hello Mr. English Teacher, I would be honored if you would like to rewrite my story. I would also like to say just because I was ****ed off and could not put my emotions on paper does not mean i cannot do my job so dont insult me. The point of the story was not to be on the writting but on the B/S that is going on here and it actually got posted before I could edit it. I would like it very much if you would share your knowledge and tell me how to edit my post or tell me how to remove it so it can be rewritten.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    DFW Metroplex, TEXAS
    Posts
    21

    Default FYRE is spelled with an I

    HCFD820

    I will not be grading your essay today.
    Although dragonfyre does have a point...administrative positions usually require well-spoken and gramatically correct "brothers", I am sure that point is not valid here in a ONLINE FORUM.

    Anyway I am sure that you can spell better than him (fyre is spelled f-i-r-e).

    Just kidding. I am not about tearing a brother down...let's build each other up.

    I don't know all the legal in's and out's so I won't touch on that.

    What I do know is frustration.

    We cannot always understand or agree with the decisions around us. Sometimes they seem unfair and NOT RIGHT.

    I was once a young firefighter with large aspirations for the fire service. I felt hopelessly stuck in a small fire department desperately looking for a larger, busier, more progressive, just overall better fire department. I felt that I was "better" than that small place.
    I had a chance to get hired on a VERY WELL KNOWN and HIGHLY RESPECTED big city fire department...made it all the way to the last interview...but didn't get hired. I was, for sure, more passionate and qualified than my three other friends who got hired. I could have done just as good if not better job than anyone they hired...I had more qualifications and experience then most of them. I felt that I was more "deserving" of being a firefighter THERE.

    My point is this:

    Everything happens for a reason...sometimes the reason is outside our grasp AT THAT TIME. Looking back on my situation, I think it was an opportunity to hit the reset button on my pride and remember that I became a firefighter to make a difference...and I can do that ANYWHERE I am - even where I don't want to be.

    Perhaps in the GRAND SCHEME of things you are more needed in your current position at this time. That may not be what you want to hear (it wasn't what I wanted to hear either) but it may be true. You can and are making a difference where you are at right now. Keep your chin up and keep up the good work.
    Remember that our job is to do the best we can, WHEREVER we are.

    Another thing: If your chief acts that way, he may not be someone you want to work DIRECTLY under (and maybe for???) anyway.

    Hope this helped.
    John

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hcfd820 View Post
    Hello Mr. English Teacher, I would be honored if you would like to rewrite my story. I would also like to say just because I was ****ed off and could not put my emotions on paper does not mean i cannot do my job so dont insult me. The point of the story was not to be on the writting but on the B/S that is going on here and it actually got posted before I could edit it. I would like it very much if you would share your knowledge and tell me how to edit my post or tell me how to remove it so it can be rewritten.
    I used to teach and I still tutor on the side. I can send you my hourly fee and I can help you out. We can start with "dont" it is what is called a contraction. It is a combination of DO and NOT and is spelled DON'T. When presenting a formal paper I would suggest not using contractions at all.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Come on, give a brother a break on the english lessons. No one is perfect.

    I've been here 5 mins and I can already see a rather snakey side to some of the replies at hand... Are we not all meant to be on the same team here ?

    *rolls eyes*

    - To try and provide some answer to the initial question.. - It seems like a tough situation. Obviously causing a fuss doesn't help, however I guess you *personally* have to weigh it up.. Unfortunately one of those situations that you will have to decide yourself.. - However I don't believe you could be fired for consulting with your HR member, which should be confidential anyway..


    *My apologies if I mis-spelled, keyed the wrong button, or failed to structure a sentence correctly... I'm only Human.. *
    Last edited by FF49STN; 05-14-2007 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Add point.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    dday05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hcfd820 View Post
    my problem is a guy that works here has just gotten off of probation in april and in may after being appointed by our fire chief is now my asst chief, he does not have NPQ1 which our sop states u will have in the first year while on probation, he is a post certified police officer, and was an asst police chief and then police chief for a combined 3 years, that was my fire chiefs reason for putting him in the position because he had management skills for those 3 years
    Maybe this person gained all of his fire ground experience from years of sitting in his patrol car eating donuts, watching the firefighters do their job while he blocked traffic? This sounds like not a good situation.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    dday05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hcfd820 View Post
    i guess me being a shift supervisor for 6 years is not the same thing, now remember he was only the boss of 4 people as police officer. He and the chief go way back as friends so i figure im just screwed, he and i were the only two that put in for the job and id like your opinon on if there is anything i can do, or am i just blowing this out of proportion and just go with the flow. oh yeah i cant go to my county manager or human res. because the fire chief has made it clear that we would be fired on the spot. please help hcfd820. you can e-mail me at hcfd820@yahoo.com or here im a member, thanks again for your help
    I'd say keep doing what you're doing and watch out for your fellow firefighters. Even though you didn't get the position should be no reason why you still don't do your job and make sure everyone comes home. From what it sounds (which I think we need some more info) with this joker being your Asst. Chief your firefighters are going to need you to be there for them because he sure in the hell is'nt going to be. We need more info on this please.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    dragonfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Birdsboro, PA
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyatdfd View Post
    HCFD820

    Anyway I am sure that you can spell better than him (fyre is spelled f-i-r-e).

    Just kidding. I am not about tearing a brother down...let's build each other up.
    Smith/Smyth Liar/Lyre

    Couldn't get dragonfire when I went on line years ago so I took the fancy version.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for a word that begins with M...
    By Dalmatian190 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-21-2006, 02:45 PM
  2. FYI in CA
    By hootman in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 12:04 AM
  3. Asst. Chief Thomas E. Andersen
    By MikeE-631 in forum Line of Duty: In Memory Of
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2002, 03:08 PM
  4. DAMN Asst. Chief (PLEASE READ)
    By FLAME5 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2001, 11:14 PM
  5. Delaware Asst. Chief Dies in Exercise Flashover
    By webteam in forum Line of Duty: In Memory Of
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 05-06-2000, 10:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register