Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Light Towers

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Light Towers

Looking for some insight into the light tower world. Let me me know what you have and the pros and cons. Mostly looking to compare Command Light and The Will Burt Tower. Please Give me more then "Its Junk"

Thanks
    Dors

Forum Member

We have a Command Light Shadow RT on our rescue, everyone loves it. Did have some problems with the upper control arm getting stuck, first time through it was shipped back to the factory for inspection and rebuild. The second time it happening, they shipped us a entire brand new unit and the dealer changed it out, no charge. Have not had a problem since. This all happened about 18 months after we had purchased the tower. VERY happy with the way they stand behind their product.

Forum Member

Default Night Scan

We have a Will-Burt Night Scan with individually tilting heads, 3-1500 watt lights per head. It replaced a Night Scan with 4-1500 watt lights, not individually tilting. Generally, they've been good. I do have to say that the reason we're on the second unit is because the first one came up out of its stowed position while the vehicle was on the road, and took out a traffic light. We have never determined the cause, but I understand that Will-Burt now has a fail-safe device to prevent that. Jeff Milligan or Roy Cowger at Will-Burt could surely fill you in on that.

They do have some magnetic sensors to make sure that each function operates properly. The adjustment can be touchy and has to be just right or they will give you fits. Once you get them right though, they don't seem to change. Like so many other components on a truck, installation seems to be the biggest problem. OEM installers either don't know the correct procedures, don't follow instructions and/or aren't given enough time to set them up correctly.

We did have a major wiring issue with our second unit. It was past warranty, but we had the head assembly removed and sent back to Will-Burt for repairs. They fixed it and sent it back, no charge. They even paid for the labor to remove it and re-install it. A year later, the same thing happened again. This time I took it apart and identified what I thought was the problem. I devised a wiring change, then contacted them about it. After a couple of weeks of back and forth between their engineers, the light fixture manufacturer's engineers and me, they all agreed to the change. The only cost to the fire company was my labor (free) and train fare to Long Island to take the fixtures to the factory for rewiring.

It's all back together and working fine. But a year's not up yet, either.

I don't have any experience with Command Light, but I can't say enough about the way Will-Burt and their supplier (FRC) has supported their product with us.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

I think both brands have something good to offer, or they wouldn't be in business. We've had issues with one of our Wil-Burt units that likes to auto-stow for no apparent reason, whenever it feels the need, but the other unit (the same thing) has been trouble free. No telling if the issues with the autonomous auto-stow fits/spasms are a builder defect or something internal to the light tower.

I know you were asking opinions on the two brands you mentioned, but I think Alan Saulsbury's new venture, Tempest-Fireco looks promising as a third choice for a light tower. I would seriously consider looking at their warranty and pricing and see if you're willing to try a newer product here in the states. My understanding is that most of their products are already well-proven overseas, and you can mount whatever standard lighting you'd prefer at the top of the mast.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good input. Thanks For all the thoughts

We have a will burt tower on an engine and it works great, very versatile and compact, my only advise is to protect the light head with some kind of bunker for it to rest in, our heads come down right next to an LDH hose bed and the hot lamp melted the LDH on a couple of occasions, if the light came down into a box it would be ok. Other than that no complaints! I do prefer the telescopic towers to the folding towers as they are more compact and less exposed while driving.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department has a 6kw wil-burt it has been a excellent asset our chief wont by another truck without one. We have had no problem with the wil-burt but like anything they need to be maintained. The only thing I would do different is buy the dual tilt option.

Thread Information