Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Exclamation SCBA Cylinder Safety WARNING

This is my first post here, so let me introduce myself.

Dana Lewis
    DOD Firefighter/HAZMAT Tech
    Niagara Falls Air Base Fire Rescue
    Niagara Falls, New York

I received an email few days ago about some SCBA cylinders that weren't properly tested. I run my dept's "Unofficial" site, where I posted the message about the affected SCBA cylinders. There are several mfg's with serial #'s that are affected. Too much to list here as there are over 3000 cylinders, almost 4000 actually. I've been surfing around to all the fire forums and boards I can to pass this along. Hopefully this can prevent an injury, lost work time, or a LODD.

I have all the SCBA cylinders (mfg's and serial #'s) posted on my dept's unofficial website:

http://nfabfirerescue.pbwiki.com

Click enter or the picture, then look for "SCBA Cylinder Safety WARNING" in bold red, click that, your there. All the mfg's and serial #'s are listed, as well as a Word doc file that you can download/save. Print it, email it, post it where you fill your bottles, and pass it along where-ever. The widest dissemination, the better! The email was distributed by the U.S. D.O.T.

Some mfg's that are listed may look foreign to us, as firefighters, that's because some of the cylinders are for paintball guns, and aircraft evacuation (inflatable) slides. Most are SCBA's.

Be safe.

Crash

just curious, but who was the email from? And what "testing" was not properly done?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I think the thread is related to this notice from NIOSH and DOT.

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/news/SafAdv70fr-54444.pdf

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Its actually about a problem at Luxfer with bottle testing. Luxfer is one of the largest OEMs for SCBA bottles. Over 6,000 bottles did not receive all the tests that are DOT required.

This would be for new SCBAs. Several SCBA manufacturers source their bottles from Luxfer. Survair is one of the affected brands. Don't know about others. I only know because the Rural department in our town bought 25 new SCBA's last year (50 bottles total) 100% are affected by this recall.

Ok, if that is the same list that was mailed out a few weeks ago, from the top of my head, it affected Survivair, MSA, Scott, Interspiro, and National bottles.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Ok, if that is the same list that was mailed out a few weeks ago, from the top of my head, it affected Survivair, MSA, Scott, Interspiro, and National bottles.

the list is on his website............by the way...very nice website...I drive by there almost every time i am in WNY visiting family.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the comment on the site RFRD..

Some of these cylinders are for paint ball guns, and some for aircraft inflatable slides. But most are SCBA cylinders. Our dept does alot of SCBA cylinder filling for our neighboring dept.'s, either here at our station or with our mobile air trailers.

I'm not sure who all received this email, but I thought I'd help out spreading the word, so somebody doesn't get hurt.

Forum Member

Default SCBA Warning

My apologies Bones42,

The message came from the U.S.D.O.T. - Pipeline and Haz... Mat...Safety Admin...

Yes, Luxfer (California) distributed them. The message was on May 1st, 2006.

I don't believe any Interspiros are affected. From the message, it's mostly Scott, MSA, Survivair, and PMI. Others such as Goodyear are for aircraft inflatable evacuation slides.

Probably none of these bottles are defective at all. But, something may have happened which makes them want to do the testing.

Be safe!!

Crash

crashcrew, not a problem. I received a package in the mail and was just curious if it was the same. It appears that it is. (I'd rather have gotten an email).

I got the same email from the IAFC. I hope to look through all of our stock shortly (we just ordered 10 packs and 25 cylinders). I am hoping that we dont have a problem since there is quite a lead time on Scotts cylinders.

crashcrewmarine
    You should come out and drill with us some time. We can cut cars and stuff.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Good grief, couldn't they have given the serial numbers as 1243200-1243600 instead of listing each and every one? Makes my eyes cross.

Birken

MembersZone Subscriber

We had quite a few of those cylinders, glad we got that notice and put them out of service.

Forum Member

Default We could do that

Hey Lewiston2,

That would be awesome to come over and cut some cars with you guys sometime. We have a lot of environmental issues when we do it here on base. They had to of gone through alot of red tape when they did the traffic fair here. Drop me an email, and we can sort out the details. In addition, we just did some work on our search trainer, you guys are more than welcome to come over and do some training on it. Also, you could use our ARFF trainer and get some live fires in. That isn't entirely up to me however, there's some cost involved because of the propane use. Even we are limited to the fires we have with $$ in mind. Not sure if you can see it on here, my email is crashcrewmarine AT gmail DOT com.

Marcus, I'm curious to know how many cylinders you guys had. Was there alot?

Thanks,
    crash

Email sent
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Default none

Bones42,

I forgot to ask, did you receive some cylinders that were affected? It'd be nice to get some kind of number of which were found. Can't probably narrow it down to an area, as they could be anywhere in the country, or out of the country for that matter. LOL, hopefully Bin Laden ordered some.

crash

Forum Member

FWIW, we use the 3000 psi MSA and it doesn't appear we have any on the list. I would be interested to learn specifically what the bottles affected were.

Birken

Thread Information