MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Unhappy Volunteer Fireman Accused of Arson ...Not again!

http://www.wtva.com/

A Jumpertown volunteer fireman is jailed accused of starting multiple fires in Prentiss County.

24 year old Joseph Myers faces four counts of first degree arson in connection with four fires set over the past month.

Prentiss County investigator Brian Taylor says Myers allegedly set fire to a barn in the Blackland community on May 9th.

Ironically, Jumpertown firemen quickly put that fire out.

Authorities say the suspect then returned and set fire to the same building last week.

He is also charged in connection with another barn fire and a blaze which damaged a travel trailer.

Geeezzzzzzz, when will it ever end.

Can't these people get a life.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

FireFighter arson is a disease that never seems to get cured. About 2 or 3 months ago there were 3 FireFighters arrested from our neighboring dept for setting 8 seperate wild fires in a single day. They burned several hundred acres including some State Park land, so they are facing federal charges. The sadest part is, I knew one of them fairly well and in all honesty, he was a good kid. Just goes to show you that one really bad choice can screw your life forever. Hows that saying go "One oh s**t can erase a multitude of Attaboys"?

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

The original school of thought was that it was only action-hungry FNGs that were starting fires because of frustration over "quiet" lags of time and the desire to test their recent training. In reality, it affects all levels. Chiefs -- guys with years of experience -- have been caught doing it as well. There are few things that can kill the public's image of their department faster.

I can remember as a probie back in the early 80s when someone in the station would joke about starting a fire because we'd been so slow, we'd laugh it off and we wouldn't give it a second thought. Nowadays, such comments would have to be taken seriously and possibly even investigated. How times have changed...
    Proud member of the IACOJ.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you....

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Forum Member

The fire service like other walks of life, reflects society. Bankers steal money from peoples savings, stocks and shares dealers trade illeagilly, police officers assault people. Just a fact of life that some amongst us like setting as well as puttin out fires.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pkfd7505
    FireFighter arson is a disease that never seems to get cured. About 2 or 3 months ago there were 3 FireFighters arrested from our neighboring dept for setting 8 seperate wild fires in a single day. They burned several hundred acres including some State Park land, so they are facing federal charges. The sadest part is, I knew one of them fairly well and in all honesty, he was a good kid. Just goes to show you that one really bad choice can screw your life forever. Hows that saying go "One oh s**t can erase a multitude of Attaboys"?
    Hey ar, want to know why this will never end? Look at this post.

1. FF Arson is a disease.
    2. He is a good kid.
    3. He made a bad choice.
    4. He made one little mistake

(He missed "He had a bad childhood")

That's why.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Hey ar, want to know why this will never end? Look at this post.

1. FF Arson is a disease.
    2. He is a good kid.
    3. He made a bad choice.
    4. He made one little mistake

(He missed "He had a bad childhood")

That's why.
    And the problem with my post would be what? If your going to quote people George at least quote them in the correct context.

I said he "WAS" a good kid, after he set the fires he became a mutt to me.

I never said it was a “little mistake”, arson is a disgusting and inexcusable crime that has way to many victims. I believe my words were “really bad choice” which is correct, it was a REALLY BAD choice that screwed up his life and the lives of others, that is what the point of my post was.

An Encarta definition of disease is "a serious problem in society or with a particular group of people". Tell me George, is FF arson a serious problem with the fire community and the public in general?

Maybe you should try to understand what someone is saying before you start flaming people. Have a terrific day George.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe you should try to understand what someone is saying before you start flaming people. Have a terrific day George.
    You see, that is exactly the point. I understood precisely what you meant. And I pointed out how that line of thinking perpetuates the tacit acceptance of FF arson by a segment of the fire service (I didn't say you accepted it, I said the thinking allowed others to accept it). Then you tried to backtrack. Too late.

Arson is a crime. No matter who commits it or why. It is NOT a disease.

Of course, NOW you say he is a mutt.

It was not a bad choice. It was a calculated, intentional criminal act.

An Oh S(*& is, by definition, a little mistake.

Nice try.

Forum Member

Let's wait for the trial to find out if he is guilty.

That being said, firefighter arson does need to be taken much more seriously then it has been. The reality is, there will always be a segment of the fire service population that wants to cover it up either to prevent thier department or the fire service in general from looking bad. Until we overcome this, it will always be a difficult and divisive issue in the fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    Let's wait for the trial to find out if he is guilty.

That being said, firefighter arson does need to be taken much more seriously then it has been. The reality is, there will always be a segment of the fire service population that wants to cover it up either to prevent thier department or the fire service in general from looking bad. Until we overcome this, it will always be a difficult and divisive issue in the fire service.
    It shouldn't be difficult and it shouldn't be divisive. It is wrong. There is no middle ground. If a FF wants to cover it up, there is absoultely no difference between that person and the person who set the fire.

This is a black and white, right and wrong issue. There is no grey.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    You see, that is exactly the point. I understood precisely what you meant. And I pointed out how that line of thinking perpetuates the tacit acceptance of FF arson by a segment of the fire service (I didn't say you accepted it, I said the thinking allowed others to accept it). Then you tried to backtrack. Too late.

Arson is a crime. No matter who commits it or why. It is NOT a disease.

Of course, NOW you say he is a mutt.

It was not a bad choice. It was a calculated, intentional criminal act.

An Oh S(*& is, by definition, a little mistake.

Nice try.
    Ummm err yeah. So how is life from that high horse of yours looking down upon us peons? You misquoted me and that is pretty much all there is to that. Sure arson is calculated and intentional, that what makes it an especially heinous crime, but it was still choice that he made. The fact that he took the time to think it out and carry through with it makes it that much worse of a choice, but it was still a choice. Believe it or not George it is ok if people see things a little different then you do. Flame away George, I'm not going to change your mind and you sure as hell ain't going to change mine.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Forum Member

George, I never said it wasn't wrong. I thought I made it pretty clear that I feel it is wrong. Maybe I need to come out and state it more clearly. It's wrong. And it should be punished.

However, the reality is that there is still in many quarters of the fire service a desire to cover it up when it happens. This "protecting of one's turf" is human nature, much like there is a desire by some in the law enforcement community to cover up corruption and graft, or the desire to cover up civilian abuses in the military. That's the reality of the situation, and until we are able to change that, there will always be solme that make excuses for firefighter arson. For that reason it is a devisive issue.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just last night we had a girl that was trying to run away from her husband who is a cop. He is beating her and abusing her. She tried to run away last night, but her husband called his cop friends and they picked her up and brought her home. She is scared because she can't go anywhere without the cops finding her and bringing her home to her husband.

Arson Firefighter - media goes crazy
    wifebeater cop - media doesn't care

Forum Member

I think we could all quote examples of illegal cop behavior being covered up by cops .... But that's not the point of this thread.

We all know it happens, and it's probably best to just leave it at that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was not trying to justify firefighter arson by pointing out that other professions have their own skeletons. Just didn't appreciate the way our profession was being looked at from the high horse here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn
    I was not trying to justify firefighter arson by pointing out that other professions have their own skeletons. Just didn't appreciate the way our profession was being looked at from the high horse here.
    Ya know, that is pretty close to one of the worst posts I have seen on this entire website. It smacks of a simple "You need to grow up" attitude, and I'm fairly sure you are already old enough. Just a poor post.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am sorry it appears childish to you, but it just ****ed me off. The media goes so crazy when a firefighter anywhere starts a fire and just love to jump on the oportunity to get some good ratings. But then I deal with a women who is scared to death to leave her husband who is abusing her, knowing that she can't go anywhere without his other friends on the force bring her back home. Her husband beats her and then just drops her off at the ER, doesn't go in with her, just drops her off so she can get bandaged up and come back home. She is alone in the ER, perfect oportunity to leave her husband. But her husband is a cop, all his friends are cops, and they pick her up wherever she is and bring her home to be beaten.

I am NOT mad that the media picks up the stories on Firefighter arson, that is a problem that needs to be dealt with.

I am very ****ed that the media does not pick up the stories of wife-beating cops.

The news are saying that is is bad to start a fire (which it is) but they are giving the green-light on wife-beating.

And THAT is why I am so upset, and if you think that that shows a "you need to grow up" attitude than that is your opinion.

Forum Member

Cops beating their wives is not the topic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Like I said, I am sorry, just had to deal with that last night, and it just made me mad. Needed to vent and obiously did so in the wrong spot.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

No media frenzy here................Just reported like anyone who committed arson.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arhaney
    No media frenzy here................Just reported like anyone who committed arson.
    Same thing here Arhaney. There was a simple little story on the 3rd or 4th page of in the paper and that was the last I heard of it in the media, never heard a word from anyone in the public about it either.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pkfd7505
    Ummm err yeah. So how is life from that high horse of yours looking down upon us peons? You misquoted me and that is pretty much all there is to that. Sure arson is calculated and intentional, that what makes it an especially heinous crime, but it was still choice that he made. The fact that he took the time to think it out and carry through with it makes it that much worse of a choice, but it was still a choice. Believe it or not George it is ok if people see things a little different then you do. Flame away George, I'm not going to change your mind and you sure as hell ain't going to change mine.
    Gee, no flames. Just show me how I misquoted you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just last night we had a girl that was trying to run away from her husband who is a cop. He is beating her and abusing her. She tried to run away last night, but her husband called his cop friends and they picked her up and brought her home. She is scared because she can't go anywhere without the cops finding her and bringing her home to her husband.

Arson Firefighter - media goes crazy
    wifebeater cop - media doesn't care
    Domestic violence is also wrong, every time. Bad cops are wrong, every time.

BTW, just in general, how do you know this? Did you go to IA about it? You have a responsibility as a public servant to report this horrible crime. If you don't, you are no better than the bad cops.

MembersZone Subscriber

Patient refused to press charges, we talked to her, social worker at the ER talked to her. She was too worried to press charges or to go to a shelter. We have her our info for domestic abuse cases and urged her to follow up. Other than that there is not very much we can do.

I didn't mean to lash out at anybody here, abuse just frustrates me, no matter who causes it, just a bad night yesterday.

MembersZone Subscriber

Patient refused to press charges, we talked to her, social worker at the ER talked to her. She was too worried to press charges or to go to a shelter. We have her our info for domestic abuse cases and urged her to follow up. Other than that there is not very much we can do.

I didn't mean to lash out at anybody here, abuse just frustrates me, no matter who causes it, just a bad night yesterday.
    You didn't answer the full question. How do you know that this band of rogue cops took her back to her rogue cop husband so that she could be beaten again? (Your words, not mine: Her husband beats her and then just drops her off at the ER, doesn't go in with her, just drops her off so she can get bandaged up and come back home. She is alone in the ER, perfect oportunity to leave her husband. But her husband is a cop, all his friends are cops, and they pick her up wherever she is and bring her home to be beaten. ).

MembersZone Subscriber

Testimony from the patient. She reported the abuse to us when we aquired about the various stages of healing of the bruises she had. When we offered her help, placement in shelder, etc she stated to us that she has already tried to run away and made it to the shelter. She reported that her husband (who is retired - haven't mentioned that) called old friends that were on duty to look for her. They found her by the shelter and took her home to her husband.

And I officially will make this my last post regarding this topic. I was frustrated and ran my mouth without engaging my brain first. I will close by saying that a big part of the problem is that we herd bad sheep in with the job they have (and yes, I know that I did the same thing with the cop and I am sorry).

A firefighter arsonist is not a representation of the FD: He is an arsonist no matter what his job is.

A abusive cop is not a representation of the PD: He is just an abusive person.

A bad person is a bad person is a bad person, job should have nothing to do with it.
    A bad act should not be made any worse or any better based on the job you do for a living.
    But we are in a job that demands that the public can trust us, and thats why we are under so much scrutiny.

I hope we will hear less of situations like these in the future. Once again I am sorry for failing to keep the safety on the mouth-brain interface.

Thread Information