MembersZone Subscriber

Default need Help with meeting attendance

Trying to get info on what everybody is doing to get people to attend meetings as well as training. we have training on day a month and meetings one night a month. We currently do not have any requirements on how many meetings that are required, but ask that you attend all if possible. Its come down to the 10% coming to the meeting and 10% answering the calls. If anyone has some ideas it would be appreciated

MembersZone Subscriber

We require that members attend at least 50% of the monthly meetings in order to be considered active for the year. In addition there are monthly minimums on calls and drills that must be met. Only active members are allowed to vote for administrative officers or receive LOSAP credit at the end of the year.

We also have Duty Crews set up durign the week to distribute the calls amongst the members. Everyone is assigned to a shift and that crew is responsible for all calls during that period. They're also required to be at the station and conduct a drill. This help to:
    -- guarantee response
    -- Spread the load (10% of the members are not running 99% of the calls)
    -- Increase training/drills
    The system works really well. Now if only we could get more people to PARTICIPATE in meetings instead of just ATTENDING them.

Forum Member

Our dept recently changed our bylaws to require members to make a minimum of 4 monthly meeting to be considered a active member in good standing, and only active members in good standing have voting privledges as well. One would think this would have helped with attendence, the opposite has happend we actually have less coming now, and many who face the membership status being droped to poor standing. The general opinion from those not attending is, they did not vote for the by law change and feel that volunteer is the key word and should not be required to attend. I think it really comes down to politics, if the members are happy, and like the way the dept is being run, and how it is functioning, u tend to see more people at meetings, calls, trainings, if they dont they either dont come around or when they do, they critisize and bitch about anything and everything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by svfire13
    I think it really comes down to politics, if the members are happy, and like the way the dept is being run, and how it is functioning, u tend to see more people at meetings,...
    I tend to think the opposite. Like with general elections, if people are happy with the status quo, they tend to stay home. When people are angry they come out and vote in droves.

As it pertains to the Fire Company, some of our most attended meetings have also been our most contentous.

In all seriousness, One other thing we do that helps attendence is that we all cook/eat dinner as a Company prior to the meeting. That helps to add a social aspect to it where we're just hanging out with friends before we get down to work. We also try to keep the meetings short, especially during Football season (our meetings are on Monday nights).

Forum Member

Is once a month enough to keep peoples interest?

Seems to me that if the meetings/training nights are so far apart then people will not really make the effort to attend. My station trains 51 weeks a year. We expect the crew members to make 3 from 4 each month. Makes it easy to plan stuff in advance to keep peoples interest, plus we can train all the more. The training night is on Tuesdays, but if there is a big event on (such as the world cup and England are playing), we''ll move the night to accomodate.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

In my time at the firehouse, I have seen where attendance is strong and where it is weak. The strong times are when things are going well and guys are happy. When there are problems and people are not happy, we don't see them.

and feel that volunteer is the key word and should not be required to attend.
    and I remind guys who say that to me that the last time they volunteered was when they volunteered to join the department. At that time, they volunteered to follow the rules/regulations/procedures. They don't "volunteer" to show up when they want. Yes, we lost a couple guys because of that stance, but we gained more and now have a better organization. "Structure" leads to a better organization and better members.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Thumbs up attendance

as far as getting people to coming to trainings,meetings, and calls-we had a lot of problems on my department with that as well. im sure any vol. dept. has that prob.
    now im not saying that every department can do, this but it has made a BIG change in our numbers. to begin with, our department is paid volunteer. you get paid based on your level of training, special teams, years of service, etc. each call is paid on an hourly basis-2 hour min. now along with your monthly pay for calls we have a bonus at the end of the year based on the trainings that you attended. we have 3 trainings a month(station, district & truck check) besides special teams trainings, that we are asked to attend. now at the end of the year if you attend at least 24 trainings you get $500.00 In addition to any trainings you go to over the 24 you get additional $$$ for each training. aahhh yes the ole $$$ factor. like i said not every department has the luxury of spending that kind of cash. but it has made a big change in our training hour numbers.
    plus who wouldnt want a little cash right before christmas for doing something you should be doing anyway.
    Last edited by WESTERNFIRE; 06-15-2006 at 01:59 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Martin, I tend to agree with you on your question about how often to meet. Malahat VFD meets weekly on Thur night, and then at least once per month on a weekend for a duty crew - there are two "shifts" for that. Plus assorted other days as required for special training.

Vienna, and Fairfax in general only meet once per month, but we recently started a program of Operations Meetings, where the Ops staff meet twice per month and do a training session. Sometimes the training is a lecture, as it was this past week on road side safety during MVA events and other times its hands on drills.

Seems to work ok, but I do miss the weekly stuff. But "Hey, when in Vienna, do as the Viennese do." LOL
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chief20rvfc
    Its come down to the 10% coming to the meeting and 10% answering the calls. If anyone has some ideas it would be appreciated
    I'd replace 90%

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief20rvfc
    Trying to get info on what everybody is doing to get people to attend meetings as well as training. we have training on day a month and meetings one night a month. We currently do not have any requirements on how many meetings that are required, but ask that you attend all if possible. Its come down to the 10% coming to the meeting and 10% answering the calls. If anyone has some ideas it would be appreciated

Try paying them

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pfd109
    Try paying them

Wow...how long did it take you to come up with that gem.....?
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

In my opinion and from seeing the numbers of how many people attend I dont think once a month is good enough for everyone getting together. Every monday we meet for a drill except the second monday of each month which is for the monthly meeting. And I disagree with that statement that when things are going bad people show up. I think its the other way around because people dont want to show up when things are bad and people are always arguing. And another thing one of your problems is that you dont have a certain percentage that is required to continue as an active firefighter. Like bones said or has said in the past I hate when people say you cant make them come its a volunteer organization...true but according the rules/regulations/procedures you have to and if you dont like it the door is over there.

Try paying them
    I hope you realized in some places it just isnt that easy considering in my township the township commitee told us straight to our faces they were NOT going to pay to have a paid crew...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

IACOJ BOD

Have to agree with martin

48 weeks of Tuesday Night training. First Tuesday of every month is meeting night.

4 weeks of family B-B-Q's over Christmas break (It is summer down here then)

There is a percentage of trainings and meetings to make each year, or you are gone.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

We meet every monday night. The second monday of every month is meeting night. Members are required to make one practice a month and one meeting every three months in order to be considered a member in good standing. If you don't make the minimum you can't go to calls or vote.

There is an exception to the rule however. If you are taking a Fire or EMS class you are exempt from the practices and meetings for the duration of the class.
    This is my opinion and in no way represtents the opinion of my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have it every Tuesday night.
    1st- fire training
    2nd- fire training
    3rd- ems training
    4th- staff meeting
    5th- extra training or special scenario drill

Probies get state minimum wage until certified FFI- then go to $7.42 per hour. Pay goes up as certifications, longevity, and rank increase.

All are required to attend.
    minimum of 70% of trainings/meetings annually
    minimum of 10% call attendance annually

only excused absences:
    -sick (yourself or family)
    -work
    -school (fire classes or otherwise)
    -vacation or otherwise out of town
    -special things approved by the fire officers

anything else is considered unexcused. 3 or more unexcused and you get taken into the office for a "come to Jesus" talk on why you missed it.

Seems to work fine. Also if someone misses something, they get teased by the body which works very effectively to increase attendance.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

we are POC and there is a union in place that negotiates such deals .......for us it is 75% (or 3 out of 4) drills ..........no call attnedance is noted but the will be coming up in December when the contract expires, we are looking at 30 %.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information