Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Post Seagrave Concorde Chassis ?

Are there any fire departments running engines or aerials with the newer Seagrave Concord Chassis , it is my understanding that the " Concorde " is $ 20,000 less in cost than the Maurader chassis built from stainless steel . One of the fire departments in Raritan TWP, New Jersey is having there Mack / Baker Aerialscope rebuilt by Seagrave fire apparatus with a new " Concorde " cab & chassis and maybe the first one on the east coast with a seagrave concorde aerialscope ! ... Please post your likes or dislikes with the concorde chassis.

Forum Member

The departments I know running the Concord are:

Baltimore, MD 100' Rear Mount Ladders
    Rockaway Twp, NJ Pumper
    Marquette Twp, MI Tanker
    New London, WI 100' Platform
    Layton, UT 100' Mid Mount Platform
    Roslyn Highlands, NY 75' Rear Mount Aerial
    Taunton FD Buffalo, NY 75' Rear Mount Aerial (Meanstick)

I think there are a few more but I don't know them off the top of my head.

This is one hell of a truck if Specd with the right engine! Other great features you can use a small raised roof and be comfy in the back while getting up, extremely quite interior (you can sit in the rear while going down the road and talk to the driver without shouting)! Very low engine tunnel perfect vision & ergonomics. Big cab step wells (wide & deep), low first step up in. Awesome turning radius, while I had my demo I went up against 4 other mfg's (Nameless to prevent I'm picking on them) who the truck could out maneuver, some even had shorter wheel bases & the demo did not have IFS. Nice access to the fluids, headlights, etc.

Down side I thought the message center could be better positioned. I also thought there was too much plastic inside. Granted I think everyone has too much and the Concord is probably less than others. BUT I HATE PLASTIC INTERIORS!

Now before I get called out, I used to work for a Graves dealer. Before I found out I could sell, but not get paid by him!! Found out later he's stiffed several past employees.

Overall if the dealer in your area is decent. I would give her a serious look! Of course if you compare it compare it to the other guy's top line trucks.

Hope this helps.

Kris

MembersZone Subscriber

My understanding is that they are not offering that cab anymore. I have not been able to confirm this yet but if someone can that would be great.

Forum Member

Fire26, last I heard from some of the people I know at Graves is the cab will be discontinued eventually. It will then return as an FWD over the road semi-cab.

The Attacker is being reworked into a hard wire only truck. In the past it was multiplexed.

My contacts said the cab would be discontinued, But after all the work and marketing I find it hard to belive if it's not going to be changed for over the road industry why not still offer it?

I know the new Graves web site still lists it as available.

Kris

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dcmkris
    Fire26, last I heard from some of the people I know at Graves is the cab will be discontinued eventually. It will then return as an FWD over the road semi-cab.

The Attacker is being reworked into a hard wire only truck. In the past it was multiplexed.

My contacts said the cab would be discontinued, But after all the work and marketing I find it hard to belive if it's not going to be changed for over the road industry why not still offer it?

I know the new Graves web site still lists it as available.

Kris
    I think Seagrave Fire Apparatus discontinued the " Attacker " chassis cab last year , and are building the ( Commander II, Concorde , Maurader ) at this time! Anyone have any up to date information on there chassis line ?

Forum Member

"One of the fire departments in Raritan TWP, New Jersey is having there Mack / Baker Aerialscope rebuilt by Seagrave fire apparatus with a new " Concorde " cab & chassis and maybe the first one on the east coast with a seagrave concorde aerialscope !"

To clear this up... Relief Hose Co #2 of Raritan BORO (Somerset County) is having it's 1980 Mack/Baker rebuilt. This is not the TOWNSHIP of Raritan (Hunterdon County) that surrounds Flemington. I am a past member of BOTH departments.

Relief Hose is looking to keep this rebuid as CHEAP as they can! First the fire station is old (cicca 1870) and the height of the door will not allow larger rigs. 2nd the Town wants to keep the budget low and not raise taxes - BUT the town just approved a new apartment building that will increase the towns population by 20%... Should have made the builder fork over some money for the Fire Protection of this 3-4 story wooden building. 3rd the membership is mostly 30+ years old or OLDER. They are less then progressive and refused to discuss any other options for replacement apparatus. There are many ladder trucks in towns near Raritan (less then 5 sq miles).

Just because this might be the FIRST of its kind on the East Coast - should not mean to look at it for a department that wants a new rig. Somerville, NJ next to Raritan Boro, just took delivery of a Concord 100 Foot Tiller rig. Look to them to see how they like the ride.

Forum Member

Do you know how much the Aerialscope rebuild is going to cost ,We have the same problem with our yearly budget and would like to re-chassis our truck in the near future !...

Forum Member

Ask Baltimore what they think of their Sea-Frances or La Graves, take your pick.

Forum Member

You can save about $100,000 with the remount. A new Aerialscope 75' will be in the mid $800,000 We had a truck we have been very happy with, we just wanted it updated and knew it had to have an enclosed cab. http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html...ty/Raritan.htm
    We are municipally funded volley NJ dept. Money is extremely tight. You must have your facts & figures together and be prepared to back up everything you say. The process is filled with stops, starts, and delays. Put together a good committee (you know who the members are that get things done) we took a ride to Bethpage LI, NY http://www.bethpagefd.com/bfd3.htm to see their remounted scope in action at Nassau County training academy. They could not have been more helpful and are very happy with the new truck. Your Mack / Baker Aerialscope 75' on a single rear axle would not comply with federal motor vehicle standards if built today. The feds lowered the max Lbs. per axel. Our 1979 scope just took its last ride to Seagrave (June). The aerial device is being removed, rebuilt and mounted on a new Marurder II chassis. The new truck (due Sept.) MUST fit into the same Historic 1883 Firehouse the Mack did. A new Aerialscope will not fit. A new firehouse is out of the question. Low door height (cannot be modified) and a short steep apron from the door to the street have kept this project interesting. Good Luck, Lou

Forum Member

To : rfdlou, what is the major change between a new Aerialscope & a older model that will make the apparatus taller and not fit in your house. Also what O.A. L. will your rebuilt scope be , Our Mack is 38' in O.A.L. now and can not exceed 40 ' to fit in the engine bay!... We must spec the shortest cab to be under the 40 feet ?

Forum Member

To: NewJerseyFFII The structure that mounts the boom to the turntable is larger on the new ones. I am not sure but I think it is the same one used for the 95’. O.A.L. is 512.12” puts you little more than 2 ½ feet over. Should not be too hard to trim it down. Front bumper to end of cab 153.13”. You may not need the front jacks and can save space there. Rear compartment overhangs the basket also. Put in the bid specs that it must fit in the firehouse. Best of Luck, Lou

Forum Member

Question

To : RFDLOU, The F.D.N.Y. just got a new 75' Aerialscope last month from Seagrave sales & service in East Brunswick, NJ . The O.A.L. of there apparatus is 496 " from the front bumper -to- the rear of the bucket, that truck was built on a commander II chassis cab of 74.50 " long from the center wheel to the back of cab !...That is a little over 41 feet long, I was told by a fire department that had a scope rebuilt that the only way to shorten the apparatus is by using a smaller cab & by getting 3 section 35' ext ladders so you can shorten the rear compartment overhang where the platform rests ?
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-06-2006 at 07:41 PM.

Forum Member

Default 1Truckie

The Concorde will not be available anymore. The Attacker is coming back with some additional options. I am told the Marauder II is the future cab to replace the current Marauder. I saw one in Harrisburg. The truck went to Mansfield Twsp in N.J. Had alot of room. It looked like a nice package.
    Aerialscope will be available on the fixed "Commander II", and the full or split tilt Marauder II. Both are stainless steel cabs. Talk around town is saying the front jacks are no longer needed on the 75'. You will get full capacity at any angle with the 2 outriggers and the rear straight down jacks. I believe the Raritan remount is a M II. The new Scopes are longer because of tandem axles. There was no choice. OAL will depend on which cab length is chosen. As you know, the boom is the same no matter what. With the M-II, there are choices on OAL. The loss of the front jacks will probably save some space also. My Dept. is running a 75' on a 1980 Mack. We do everything we can to keep it. Awsome truck.

Default Seagrave Concorde

I'm sitting at work with a Seagrave Concorde out the bay about 40 feet from me. Overall I don't really care for the look of it. Jim Hebbe really went all out to make his own version of the Eagle chassis on this one. The other day when I couldn't find something on the chassis, I just thought about where it was on the ALF Eagle at my part time gig, sure enough, there it was! Who would have thunk it....

As a driver, I like how the truck drives and rides. It handles like a pick up truck, has a nice tight turning radius and a comfortable set of front seats. It is nice and quiet up in the cab and unlike some other trucks you can hear yourself think. As somebody else stated, I don't care for all the plastic and I don't like where the message center is located.

As a jake who has to sit in the back, I really don't care for it at all. Our truck is a standard MFD with an 8 inch (I think) raised roof configured with two rear and two forward facing seats in back. I'm 5'09", so not very tall. When I sit in the forward facing flip down seats my knees are crammed against the doghouse. Put any more than two people in back and getting dressed on the way to a call becomes quite the pain in the rear. There are no good places to mount equipment, ie radios, flashlights, hand tools, in the back and most of the stuff you want quick ends up in compartments outside. The roof mounted air conditioner hangs down quite a bit inside the back of the cab and nearly cuts off the front seat people from the rear. Where I volly, and part time we've got trucks with a Spartan and HME chassis. Neither are as pretty inside, nor nearly as quiet, but they've got lots of room and a lot less plastic to get broken by guys banging around.

Overall, I'd give the Concorde a 6 on a scale of 1-10, scoring my HME at a 7 by comparison, because of room in the cab.

Brad

Thread Information