Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

gotta love yackin about new units ........nice looking rigs ...........Bones got any pics ?>
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

"This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Another thing to consider is your demographics. What type of streets will this be used on, narrow, windey, access. Here's why, although the E-one's have an short jack spread which is nice in tight spots, you cannon short-jack the truck, which can be done with a Pierce. You can short-jack a Pierce (if you know what you are doing) and still fit it in the same amount of space as an E-one.

http://www.ugfd.org/2006TOWER.htm

Forum Member

Post 70' - 75' Midmount

Why does'nt the " Pierce Fire Apparatus " & " E-One " offer a 75' midmount platform apparatus, they would most likely be a good seller for fire departments that need a smaller truck . The only builders selling 75' midmounts are Aerialscope , Alf , Rosenbauer , Seagrave , Sutphen . Also a 81' is sold by Kme !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-23-2006 at 11:02 AM.

I'm coming late to the discussion, but my $.02-worth is to agree with someone earlier who said to keep your options more open. For my money, a Sutphen is hard to beat in a tower ladder. Their SPH100' doesn't leave the bucket hanging down on the street to get hit by traffic or swung into things by an inexperienced driver, and it has a fairly short length for a mid-mount 100' tower of 45'9".

Granted we don't know much about your dept. If you are running a quint-like general purpose tower-ladder, than the Sutphen (and most mid-mounts) are going to be a little short on space (you'll have to sacrifice in at least one of these categories: compartmentation, water tank, or hosebed). Maybe that's why you've already specified a rear-mount...

NewJerseyFFII - I agree. A 75', either rear- or mid-mount will accomplish almost all of the tasks of a 100'. I grew up around 1950s & 1960s ALF mid-mount aerials, and I'll always have a strong place in my heart for that lay-out.

Forum Member

Default 85'

could you put pierce's 85' RM tower on a single rear axle. I saw boston, and the double axle looked like overkill. I think the 85 is a good bet for people who want a tower, but dont want it to be the size of a large crane.

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8
    could you put pierce's 85' RM tower on a single rear axle. I saw boston, and the double axle looked like overkill. I think the 85 is a good bet for people who want a tower, but dont want it to be the size of a large crane.
    I don't think I've ever seen one. They might do it if you had no pump/tank, the smaller bucket and the chassis and body were aluminum, keeping the weight down. I wouldn't bet on it though, but it would be a fairly compact truck if they could. Even more compact if it were a 4 section ladder rather than the 3 section it is now.

Temporarily Inactive

In 1968 Warren, Ohio took delivery of an ALF 900 series gas-powered Aero-Chief on a single axle with no pump, no tank, all steel not aluminum and a 90 foot articulating pre-piped boom with platform.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with what was already said. Determine the material you prefer 1st. That will narrow down your decision quite nicely. LOL.

As for E-One quality, it has slipped over the years. But I would still take pick their aerials. Our 95' RM LT has been damn near flawless. 2000GPM pump, 300GWT, 2 crosslays, front bumper trash line, 2 platform monitors, 2 deck guns, etc.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 90' Alf

You mean like this telephone pole knocker! Does not appear real practical to me! This was 90' Aero-Chief for Syracuse NY. Go to the web site and read history of this particular unit. Not Good!

There is a web site devoted to the history of the Aero-Chief at www.aerochief.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Temporarily Inactive

AS to practicality the Warren, Ohio rig never amounted to much....It served as a regular in-service unit for a very limited time. Then it was put on special-call only. At its decomissioning in 1992 it had a mere 3700 miles on its odometer.

In neighboring Youngstown , Ohio their similar but NOT identical unit was front-line till the late 1980s when it was severely damaged at a fire. The rig was rebuilt by ALF as a 100ft rear-mount /quint { having been an Aero-Chief quint previously] and was in service till it was decommissioned and sold for $100,000 to a smaller Pennsylavnia dept. and the money received used to obtain 2 new Pierce Dashes each at $130,000 back in February 1987.

The Niles, Ohio Aero-Chief remained on the roster till it was replaced by a Lance Tower-quint with all-steer option.
    Last edited by oldestwiseowl; 08-30-2006 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo

Thread Information