Forum Member

Default 85'

could you put pierce's 85' RM tower on a single rear axle. I saw boston, and the double axle looked like overkill. I think the 85 is a good bet for people who want a tower, but dont want it to be the size of a large crane.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8
    could you put pierce's 85' RM tower on a single rear axle. I saw boston, and the double axle looked like overkill. I think the 85 is a good bet for people who want a tower, but dont want it to be the size of a large crane.
    I don't think I've ever seen one. They might do it if you had no pump/tank, the smaller bucket and the chassis and body were aluminum, keeping the weight down. I wouldn't bet on it though, but it would be a fairly compact truck if they could. Even more compact if it were a 4 section ladder rather than the 3 section it is now.

Temporarily Inactive

In 1968 Warren, Ohio took delivery of an ALF 900 series gas-powered Aero-Chief on a single axle with no pump, no tank, all steel not aluminum and a 90 foot articulating pre-piped boom with platform.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with what was already said. Determine the material you prefer 1st. That will narrow down your decision quite nicely. LOL.

As for E-One quality, it has slipped over the years. But I would still take pick their aerials. Our 95' RM LT has been damn near flawless. 2000GPM pump, 300GWT, 2 crosslays, front bumper trash line, 2 platform monitors, 2 deck guns, etc.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 90' Alf

You mean like this telephone pole knocker! Does not appear real practical to me! This was 90' Aero-Chief for Syracuse NY. Go to the web site and read history of this particular unit. Not Good!

There is a web site devoted to the history of the Aero-Chief at www.aerochief.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Temporarily Inactive

AS to practicality the Warren, Ohio rig never amounted to much....It served as a regular in-service unit for a very limited time. Then it was put on special-call only. At its decomissioning in 1992 it had a mere 3700 miles on its odometer.

In neighboring Youngstown , Ohio their similar but NOT identical unit was front-line till the late 1980s when it was severely damaged at a fire. The rig was rebuilt by ALF as a 100ft rear-mount /quint { having been an Aero-Chief quint previously] and was in service till it was decommissioned and sold for $100,000 to a smaller Pennsylavnia dept. and the money received used to obtain 2 new Pierce Dashes each at $130,000 back in February 1987.

The Niles, Ohio Aero-Chief remained on the roster till it was replaced by a Lance Tower-quint with all-steer option.
    Last edited by oldestwiseowl; 08-30-2006 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo

Thread Information