Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Platforms Pierce vs E-one

Our department is in the processof purchasing a new tower ladder it is coming down to the 95ft E-one and the 100ft Pierce What are your experiences with these trucks.

BOOM!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

you might try a search...only if you want.

mid or rear mount?

how much $?

MembersZone Subscriber

We are looking for a rear mount we have budgetwed $850,000

Forum Member

We have two E-One Ladders. An '85 110ft ladder and a '90 95ft rear mount platform. Both are great trucks and the guys love them. My biggest complaint with these particular trucks would be the cramp angle, or lack of, in the front axle steering. I'm sure a newer chassis would have improved steering geometry. The E-One has a few key features that no-one else comes close to, that being the frame on their chassis and the short spread of the stabilizers. The frame is aerial specific. If you get a chance, crawl under one. Believe me, you'll be impressed. As far as stabilizers go, if you can open the drivers door, you can fully deploy the stabilizers. That's how narrow the spread is.

Forum Member

Both make a good truck. I happen to like Pierces body construction better than E-Ones.

My first question would be who has the better local service & support. When I say that, it means who comes out and takes better care of you at the firehouse not the shop? I know quite a few people that are impressed by nice new buildings for shops but then are shocked that the in field service is horrid or non-existant. Since both build nice rigs the number one questions hsold be who's going to take better care of us when the inveitable happens and something goes wrong.

OK now beyond that:

The Pierce has a platform rating of 1000#
    While the E-One has a rating of #1025

I sure like E-Ones jack spacing beating Pierce by almost 4'

Beyond that it's my experience that the E-One ladders seem to hold up better over a longer period than the Pierce does. This comes from in field experience selling against them in the Midwest.

A local department that has all Pierce engines purchased a E-One when it came time for their platform. The FF's said they liked the rungs, handrails, basket layout, jacking, and overall stability of the basket better than the Pierce. When I asked if they would by another E-one or go back to Pierce they said E-one ladder all the way and Pierce Pumpers!

If you want I can e-mail you some contact info for them. Just let me know.

Kris

Raise your budget. Department just received a new Pierce 100' TL. Looks to be an excellent truck and we expect it to be. It's only a couple weeks old so we don't have any real world experience yet. Last price I remember hearing was $890k.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Does the 850K budget include loose eqipment or just the truck itself? If it is just for the truck you should have plenty.

Ours was truck only, added equipment was more.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Truck only Equipment is seperate

MembersZone Subscriber

E-Ones quality has been steadily dropping over the last few years. Our recent Pierce was a nightmare for about a year and a half till all of the electronic BS was removed.

I'd look at them all before making specs. ALF has a simmilar jack spread to e-one, and if you have 850 k then I'd look at a seagrave / aerialscope

MembersZone Subscriber

We have 2 E-One TL's. A mid 90's 95' rearmount and a 2003 95' midmount. I am much more familiar with the midmount, so I shall comment on that. We were #6 off the production line for the HP95 Midmount. Although having quite a few problems in the first few months, the great majority of the problems have all been worked out. E-One and our local service center sent representatives to our location to preform some of the work. This truck also has a 2000GPM Hale Pump and 280 gallon water tank. I want to say we were under 850,000, but I dont know the exact price. Another local department received their 2003 Pierce Midmount. They has so many issues (I dont know exactly what they were) that the truck was sent back to Pierce. They paid just under 1 million. They do not have a pump on their truck.

I think what I am trying to say is that anything new is going to have problems. It just so happened that we didnt have to send our truck back to Ocala. E-One seemed to take care of the issues in a timely manner. You may want to look into the safety of the trucks. E-One has never had an aerial failure. Additionally, Pierce seems to be very high priced. I feel you get more for your money with E-One, hence the 2000GPM pump and water tank. Also, WHO WANTS A PAINTED BOOM? The swirled aluminum is so pretty........

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lthardy410
    Our department is in the processof purchasing a new tower ladder it is coming down to the 95ft E-one and the 100ft Pierce What are your experiences with these trucks.
    Your department needs to narrow down the material that the ladder & platform will be made from, do you like steel or aluminum , total weight , outrigger spread , rear mount , mid mount , both companys build great tower ladders but service after sale is the most important thing to keep in mind !... Good luck with your new truck & stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have three Pierce platforms all front mount. We have had computer issues but they have been worked out. We our specing another 100' Pierce platform right now. Just a word of caution, we were looking out a mid-mount until a couple of our guys were back at pierce and saw how many were back for repair from having to bucket damaged or ripped off it's just alot of over hang back there.

Forum Member

Smile E-One

The city of Perth Amboy, N.J. has a new 2005 E-One 95' mid mount platform in service with a 2000 gpm pump and cost about $ 900,000 . The trucks is very long at over 48' O.A.L. !...

Forum Member

Anyone here ever use the Pierce Skyarm? I think its kind of Pierce's answer to the Bronto used by E-one. Does having the jib that will go down over paraphet walls really come in handy? Im sure they are very pricy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lthardy410
    If you still need some info shoot me a PM with you Email. My department went through this process and took delivery in January 2006. E-One and Pierce were the front runners. Reach was a big factor in our decision. E-One 95 Platform is 92' high at 80 degrees elevation and has a reach of 82' 5" at zero degrees. Yes the E-One has a narrower outrigger spread and to some localities thats a plus. The Pierce 100 PAP that my department purchased is 104' High at 75 degrees elevation. The cost on our platform after the discount for paying in full was ~$660k not including loose equipment.

Here is a link of what we purchased.

Forum Member

Gotta love those Roto-Rays! Good luck!

Some Guy

Bones,

I have been meaning to ask, does your new truck have a pump? Is it like Tom's River's new one?
    This space for rent

Yes, has a pump. 2000gpm. Also a tank of 350gals. About 800' of 5", 2 200' 1 3/4" crosslays, 1 200' 2 1/2" crosslay.

Thread Information