Thread: Fishers IN.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Fishers IN.

Could anyone tell me about the Fishers IN. fire dept. I am at the interview stage of the testing process and I havent heard much about them other than what I can find on their web-page. How many are they hiring? What do they pay? Are they Paramedics? Any information is better than none. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Only know a little; they are a young and progressive department, their training staff in heavily involved at a state level in improving fire service qualifications and standards. they don't want for money as much as some departments do b/c of a strong tax base, and i hear the pay is good for the area. i also know they have had some turnover from guys going to larger departments in the area.

Forum Member

Apparently they're not hiring for awhile either.

http://www.fishers.in.us/department/...n.asp?fDD=8-50
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

I'm in the interview process also. Not sure how many will get hired, if I remember right 7 or 8?

Starting in January if I remember correctly....

MembersZone Subscriber

The best way to learn about any department is to go to the stations and ask. Do yourself a favor though and DO NOT ask how many stations, how many calls they run or any other basic information that you can get from the fire department administration. I promise the firefighters will quickly see you as someone who is expecting THEM to do your research for you.

Here is a list of questions you should know the answers to BEFORE you go in for your interview.

I promise you that you will be glad you took the time to prepare. Good luck to you!

1. How long is the probationary period?

2. What can I expect from the academy?

3. How is the relationship between the fire department and the community?

4. How many firefighters are going to be hired and how long is the eligibility list?

5. What desirable qualifications is the department looking for? (You will have
    already read the job description flyer, but you are looking for the “inside information.”)

6. What are the strengths of the department?

7. What are the opportunities for advancement down the road?

8. What can I do to make a good impression on the oral board?

9. Is the fire department active in the community? (e.g. teaching first aid and CPR courses, public service day, CERT Training, etc.)

10. What do you like about the department?

11. What additional projects or assignments are firefighters able to get involved in? (e.g. fire prevention bureau, hazardous materials team, confined space or technical rescue, and paramedic program)

12. What are the different areas of the community that the fire department services? (e.g. airport, marine, wild land interface, freeway, commercial, high-rise industrial, residential and beaches)

13. What special community projects is the fire chief planning to implement? (e.g. CERT Program, train a certain percentage of the community in first aid, CPR and AED, immunizations for the community)

14. What is important to the fire chief? (e.g. experience, education, mechanical aptitude, living in the community)

15. Is the city or county planning to add or delete fire stations?

16. For the new firefighters who have done well on probation, what qualities do they possess that have made them successful?

17. Where is the department headed in the future? (e.g. hazardous materials teams, weapons of mass destruction task force, immunizations for the community, add a BLS ambulance transport system)

18. What are some of the biggest morale boosters for the firefighters that have occurred in the last couple of years?

19. What projects has the department completed in the last few years? What projects are still in the works?

20. If you were in my position and you wanted to work for this department, what would be your next step?

21. Is there anyone else that you would recommend I speak to?

Most firefighters are very proud to be a member of their department. They want to be sure that the ones who follow feel the same way. A wise fire chief once told me, “The fire department ran well for 100 years before you became a member. You can bet it will run for another 100 years after you’re gone. It’s up to us to make sure we leave it in the hands of competent people.”
    As you can see, when you show up to the stations the firefighters are unofficially deciding if you are worthy of being a member of the department. It is imperative that you leave them with a positive first impression.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

bump.ttttttt

Forum Member

What does it cost to live around there? Is it like Carmel?
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are plenty of places in Fishers and around it where you can find affordable housing. It's the traffic you need to worry about.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IFDFFENG20
    There are plenty of places in Fishers and around it where you can find affordable housing. It's the traffic you need to worry about.
    Any idea how many guys the plan to hire out of this process?

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry, I have no idea. I know they have some turnover and they have plans to expand in the next few years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IFDFFENG20

You shoudl see here at certain times -- 45/50 minutes to go 9 miles

MembersZone Subscriber

How did everyones interviews go? Seems like there is a good chance for about 23 people to get hired. Best of luck to everyone!

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone get letters back yet with their rank?

Forum Member

What rank are you?

I'm 29.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm 26th. Guess we will have to wait and see what happens!

MembersZone Subscriber

im #20, they said they will contact me in the fall.

Forum Member

Is this the first hiring process you've gone through?

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah, and the longest one too. soo excited though. the chief told me in the interview, im sure to everyone else to that even if your #30 not to be scared cause it may take that many to get 25 people. so no matter wehre your at on the list keep your hopes up, with a growing city like this a 2 yr. list can go by quick.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did the chief tell you that they would probably use the top 30 people? What did your letter say about contacting you in the fall?

MembersZone Subscriber

he just said that it might take to number 30 on the list cause some people wont pass the lie detector test and background checks. the letter said they would just contact me in the fall, thats all it said.

Forum Member

He told me the same stuff about using the top 30 people to get the 23 or so they'll need. My letter just said I'm #29 and the list still has to be approved by the merit board.

Joe

Forum Member

Any news/updates?

Joe

MembersZone Subscriber

nope not yet, they just told me they would contact me in the fall. thats all i know. when i get a letter or a call ill let ya know. im just waiting on that now and thats all i got. keep me posted if you hear any news. about their academy, if their building a station, etc...
    thanks
    Greg

MembersZone Subscriber

any new and exciting news or anything??
    just checkin in

MembersZone Subscriber

I have heard that a few people didn't make it through the first round of interviews but I don't know how much truth it holds. I talked to a couple of FF/Medics from Fishers and they said if you are in the top 30 you have a great chance of getting hired. Also with some of the other area FD's hiring it might take some of the list away. I know Lawrence Township is starting a process soon and a couple others have recently hired people. I guess only time will tell.

Thread Information