Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Heroism in Virginia

I'm sure gonna **** off some FF's from Virginia, but it's amazing to see how many were recognized in Firehouse magazine for making rescues. Must be the only place in the country where grabs are made. I am not taking anything away from the brothers, (we need the recogntion), but that must be the only place where rescues are made. Where I am it's a grain of salt, a pat on the back for a job well done and personal pride. Must be that the ink quill in Virginai is muh mightier than the nozzle. Oh, did I tell ya about the SFD we had last shift which was food on the stove? Despite untenable conditions we managed to rescue all three occupants and remove them to safety, despite potentially detriorsting conditions? Managed to salvage the dinner and I'm gonna put us all in for a unit citation for saving this family 5 dollars.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah, Right..................

Duck!!..............

INCOMING!!..............

Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

The last edition I got my hands on (April I think) had a lot of faces from Fairfax Co. Even though I a member of FX Co, it still makes me wonder. Maybe VA gets the coverage it does because they actually submit their stories? Just a thought, because I have no factual information to back that supposition.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thumbs up Good Point, Rick.........................

Truth of the matter is, every department has an event each year where a member should be nominated for an award of some kind. And sadly, most departments don't care enough to take a few minutes to write a letter or something to see that their people receive the recognition that they deserve. We are one of the departments that does try to get the word out when our people do something above and beyond, and I see no good reason why all departments should not do this.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I agree if its not "reported" who is going to know? A few of us from house were discussing the green cross that Hurst will give. Our chests would like a 4 star general if we were "nominated". Also, notice how all most all of the awards listed are also full timers?

Forum Member

My favorite then I'm out....Cliff Sweeney-Fairafax County F/R...Without PPE and while off duty found a multi-vehicle accident. Climbed into most damaged vehicle and stabilized victim's C-spine. Assisted in removal of victim" WHAT A HERO. Got to go puke, beat me up men but that makes me sick. Please give me 200 bucks fire house you morons, I did that 3 days ago. What a load of crap. Webteam please delete me if you are associated with this crap.

You have got to be kidding me that you even started a thread like this. What are you a glory rider who is just jealous because someone else gets recognized? If thatís why youíre in the services then you really need to reevaluate your situation.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wag11c
    I'm sure gonna **** off some FF's from Virginia, but it's amazing to see how many were recognized in Firehouse magazine for making rescues. Must be the only place in the country where grabs are made. I am not taking anything away from the brothers, (we need the recogntion), but that must be the only place where rescues are made. Where I am it's a grain of salt, a pat on the back for a job well done and personal pride. Must be that the ink quill in Virginai is muh mightier than the nozzle. Oh, did I tell ya about the SFD we had last shift which was food on the stove? Despite untenable conditions we managed to rescue all three occupants and remove them to safety, despite potentially detriorsting conditions? Managed to salvage the dinner and I'm gonna put us all in for a unit citation for saving this family 5 dollars.
    I think I smell a bit of... jealousy...

My favorite then I'm out....Cliff Sweeney-Fairafax County F/R...Without PPE and while off duty found a multi-vehicle accident. Climbed into most damaged vehicle and stabilized victim's C-spine. Assisted in removal of victim" WHAT A HERO. Got to go puke, beat me up men but that makes me sick. Please give me 200 bucks fire house you morons, I did that 3 days ago. What a load of crap. Webteam please delete me if you are associated with this crap.
    Go do your job. If you make a save and need recognition, ask for it. If you think that the lives you may save is recognition enough, be happy. Wasting time on whether or not someone else in some other place gets an award is a waste of good energy.

Forum Member

you are right about the green crossess from hurst. I have a draw full of them at my house. AS far as the Heroism awards. Have your department submit them and stop crying!!!! There is a reason for submitting them. Firehouse Mag goes nationwide and it is a good recruiting tool to have a lot of your firefighters recognized.

a good recruiting tool
    That one I'm having a hard time grasping.

Let me see if I have this right, I read in a magazine about a department that recognizes a guy as a hero because he stopped at an accident and helped, so that makes me want to move there?

IMO, it's a few wasted pages in a magazine each year. But hey, some people go for that so it's not really a big deal to me.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

BFD:
    Lay off Bro: if you read my post I stated that it's nice that we get recognition, my guess is that you are a volly in NJ witha full deck of light bars on your POV. I've got 25 years paid in Fire and never once did I ask for a thank you or a pat on the back. The job is what it is, eventually you may learn.

Forum Member

BFD:
    Lay off Bro: if you read my post I stated that it's nice that we get recognition, my guess is that you are a volly in NJ witha full deck of light bars on your POV. I've got 25 years paid in Fire and never once did I ask for a thank you or a pat on the back. The job is what it is, eventually you may learn.

So why do you care if these guys get some recognition? I say good for them. Maybe next time, it will be your turn.

BFD:
    Insulting your brothers is a hell of a way to win friends and influence people... who ****ed in your cornflakes?
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 06-08-2006 at 09:51 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

BFD:
    You've never asked for recognition? Well, this thread makes it sound like you are.

25 years or not you still sound like a jealous cry baby.

I guess the truth hurts sometimes huh. Been paid and am still a volly and what I stated applies either way.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

BFD:
    WOW! 25 years!

So your years of service match your IQ. Cool!

Talking Oh Boy.....................

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    WOW! 25 years!

So your years of service match your IQ. Cool!
    Guess my 48 years pales somewhat in comparision.............
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Well if you convert my 22 years into degrees celsius, I'm at least a comfortable room temperature.

Forum Member

FatGeorge: Why must you always turn your posts into personal attacks, as usual you missed my point. Go investiagte the fire down the street-your wife says hello and hopes you are out all night.

Thread Information