Forum Member

Question Professional Curtsey???

Ok, the other day, we responded to a hazmat incident. 3 a.m. call out for an Ammonia leak from a tanker trailer. Enough said about this incident, the last thing I want to do is tell war stories. What Id like to do is as a question...

Have we forgotten how to be professionals?

I'm not sure how this will be taken. But, since we are brotherhood I thought I'd get your points of view...

After returning from the call about 11 a.m. my "fun" starts. 8 a.m. is roll call/shift change. So now I'm at plus 3 hours. We were relieved by the on-coming shift. We took the command vehicle back to the station. I was driving and I'm a little tired, especially after being on the entry crew. Anyone who has ever been in a level A suit will understand. Anyways, I parked the command vehicle in the front of the building. So we get out and make a small mistake, we entered the station and walked down the hallway in our bunkers. A Crew chief stated out loud, "hey, don't were your bunkers in the station, we eat here." I would have thought that maybe if anything we could have been given a little lenience. After all, we weren't thinking to clearly, the only thought was to go home, maybe get a shower, maybe even sleep.

But, as if things couldn't get worse, I was personally attacked about what I was wearing underneath. Shorts and a T-shirt, and I werent the only one. What gets me is I was singled out. Another crew chief yelled at me in front of the rest of his shift that I wasn't in the proper attire. I did not fight back. I felt I should have said something, but I let it go. So I had time to get ****ed.

Well, if you've been following along, I'm finally getting to my point. I thought everything over, a rerun of the incident, if you will. I felt as if I were singled out. I've only been in this station about 1 year (I have over ten years total service). Other guys on my crew weren't yelled at even though they were in shorts and T-shirts also. I know that I'm not working here looking for a friend, I have enough. I also know that respect has to be earned, I'm new here so I can get used to it. Only I have a new problem, I feel as if I lost respect for this crew chief. I feel that if you are in a position of leadership, there should be a higher standard of professionalism. How hard would it have been to pull me aside and explain things? Or contact my crew chief? Or contact my A/C?

This guy, the crew chief (25+ years of service), who yelled at me asked why I wasn't wearing a nomex jump suit. I never got a chance to defend myself. I felt like he thought I was going to lie to him.

1st - I never received a jump suit; they have been on order for a long time.
    2nd - Ammonia could be "wicked" into cotton/nomex, causing a larger chemical burn
    3rd - Cotton/nomex is for station wear. That is to say cooking, truck checkout, etc. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG.
    4th - As I stated before I was in a Level A. Humidity 90% Temp in the high 80's. Enough said.
    5th - I had on my bunker pants/boots while not in Level A.

As I said before, I'm looking for your points-of-view. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I still am. I don't know.

V/R
    SlickAllDay

P.S.
    Don't get me wrong, this is not about old-timers vs. new guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just so I make sure I understand the full drawn out story, were you wearing leather bunker boots, or rubber?
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Permanently Removed

"....Was the before or after you noticed you were standing in a puddle of gasoline?!?!"

Forum Member

Now here's a professional curtsey.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Close, Clancy. But that's a bow. Curtsey is when the chick does it
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

On a side note, if you can't think clearly enough about what you are wearing, should you really be driving?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Sounds like to me the day shift had someone pee in their oatmeal or something...
    I'd wait a few days and just straight ask them "What was up you the other day?" If they have the same attitude towards you then you can probably figure out there is some other "issues".

MembersZone Subscriber

You guys are missnig the point.

If we are forced to curtsey, how far does it go? To just Chief Officers? Or company officers as well? What about when visitors come into the station? Does EMS have to curtsey when they recieve the pt.?

The ramifications here are enormous. And you are treating this like a joke. Man, you guys make me SICK!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

If we are forced to curtsey, how far does it go? To just Chief Officers? Or company officers as well? What about when visitors come into the station? Does EMS have to curtsey when they recieve the pt.?

The ramifications here are enormous. And you are treating this like a joke. Man, you guys make me SICK!

In the words of some of my brothers, "this joke is a job"

And another good one I heard Wednesday night, "The job has ruined many a hard working man"
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yup!!.........

Man, you guys make me SICK!
    OK GUYS, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    OK GUYS, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!.....
    As Kevin Meaney says:

"THAT'S NOT RIGHT"!

MembersZone Subscriber

if you have the time, i would hang around after shift, or go in during their shift, and just you and those involved, sit down and talk about it.

everyone has had bad days and un-knowingly ( or knowingly but not meaning to ) get rude with someone over something trivial.

on the same token, you were wearing incorrect attire, and apparently did break a rule. but it probably could have been handled far better by not singling you out, and speaking to all that were included.

Forum Member

Now I'm horribly confused...I didn't know there was a difference between a "professional" curtsy and a "casual" curtsy!

Someone please help me! I may have been doing it wrong all these years!

Oh, the shame of it all!!!!!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949
    Now I'm horribly confused...I didn't know there was a difference between a "professional" curtsy and a "casual" curtsy!
    Are you trying to turn this thread into a "professional curtsey vs volunteer curtsey" argument?!?!?!
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949

Someone please help me! I may have been doing it wrong all these years!

Oh, the shame of it all!!!!!

Kevin
    It's like anything else...you'll know it when you see it.

Permanently Removed

I remember always having to curtsey before a session of "a-round and round...doo-see-doo-see your partner."

F*ck I hated square dancing. Explains the mental mess of today.

-Bou, now together with Mini-Me
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 06-09-2006 at 02:44 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

And while waiting for the thread to load, I was picturing a female officer doing the "female bow" before writing him a speeding ticket.

SlickAllDay, don't ya wish you could go back in time and proofread your title ?!?!
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Bravo!!!

I clicked on this thread based solely on the misspelled title, knowing in my heart that no decent firefighter on here could let that slip by, and I was not dissapointed.

VERY entertaining replies....

I especially like the "career curtsey vs. volunteer curtsey"

Good stuff.

And sorry to the poor guy who was apparently trying to start a serious thread. Better luck next time.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well..................

Deep in the dark recesses of some peoples minds, there lurks a singular thought.

THIS is another thread that is cursed to linger on, year after year, bringing despair to the author.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Deep in the dark recesses of some peoples minds, there lurks a singular thought.

THIS is another thread that is cursed to linger on, year after year, bringing despair to the author. :
    ...And notice that he has yet to reply to any of our thoughtful comments.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

I doubt it, if the webteam has a heart they will save this guy and shut it down. And sickallday, your best bet is to go to the SOP's and do some reading. Chances are all of this should be covered to some extent and will either show you your wrong or give you some ammo to get everything set straight.

Forum Member

OK I think I have this one figured out.

I guess I'll stay volunteer, cuz this would do serious damage to my back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    "....Was the before or after you noticed you were standing in a puddle of gasoline?!?!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LMFAO!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2 choices

Quote Originally Posted by 38ffems
    I doubt it, if the webteam has a heart they will save this guy and shut it down. And sickallday, your best bet is to go to the SOP's and do some reading. Chances are all of this should be covered to some extent and will either show you your wrong or give you some ammo to get everything set straight.
    hahahaha. "sick"allday. Instead of "slick"allday.

I agree. Let a few days or weeks pass. When the right time comes be lighthearted about it, admit you messed up, then make your statement (or argument). You have to chose your battles.
    You might be better off to let it go. Over time you will see if he respects you.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

LOL. George I haven't laughed that hard at one of your comments since the bus to Kentland thread

I did a Google Images search on "curtsey" and found this curtsey....PROFESSIONAL drag artist curtis CURTSEY
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Thread Information