MembersZone Subscriber

Default How would you answer this one?

CaptBob, dmfireschool...How would you answer a question posed to a candidate that was testing for Lt. and has made it to the 3 person panel of their peers and is given a few questions. One of the questions could possibly be "What do you think of the current selection of fire officers?"...Do you answer positively, no comment or give an honest opinion? Ie. cookie cutter answer, shoot yourself in the foot, or shoot yourself in the foot?...

MembersZone Subscriber

You need to give more background for so we can give you an answer. What is your current selection process? Are you referring to the rule of 3 or 5? We need more information before we can give you an answer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Assesment Center etc.

We do an assesment center which includes a written test, tactical portion, management portion and then a brief report on the tactical operation. Tactical includes candidate using a portable radio and the center showing a fire scenario with the candidate transmitting on the radio as the first-in officer, assumption of command and MBO with various incoming units. Usually, fire goes out quickly if candidate makes various correct or best situation decision's.
    Managment consists of the "new" Lt. coming into his assigned station and sitting down with a senior and probie ff regarding various items ie. training on equipment, bulletin, etc. and see how the Lt. deals with the firefighters with various distractions like pagers, phones, reading the paper, lack of interest in the informal meeting etc.

After scores are in, top 8 are usually interviewed for upto about 3-5 position's. Presently, the interview panel consists of 3 officers (B/C rank or higher and usually department personnel not outsiders) I believe a chief's interview follows the results of the panel interview for final selection and acceptance.

Forum Member

Default Dicey

Quote Originally Posted by Salman1
    One of the questions could possibly be "What do you think of the current selection of fire officers?"...Do you answer positively, no comment or give an honest opinion? Ie. cookie cutter answer, shoot yourself in the foot, or shoot yourself in the foot?...
    As you have already figured out this can be a dicey question. If you were asked this question today how would you answer it? How have successful candidates in your department answered this question?

You can PM or e-mail me your answer.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 06-11-2006 at 09:56 AM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I was recently one of three members to write my departmentís Battalion Chiefís exam. The format you are describing is almost exactly the one we used. I agree with the format your Training Division us currently using for the Assessment Center.

Spending the energy to utilize a tactical with role players and radios is quite a commitment. Doing a role playing scenario with an unmotivated crew is very realistic. So far so good.

I understand your challenge of the interview question. We stopped doing anything that involves your peers and elected for evaluation by outside raters for exactly the reasons you would think. Evaluations by your peers can quickly develop into a personality contest. We all have friends in the promotional process. This system runs the risk of playing favorites.

On a positive note for the department, the officers are able to choose someone they want to work with.

I would answer the question illustrating the proís and conís but I would be tactful in my responses. Part of being an officer is being able to share your opinion with tact.

Good luck,
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information