MembersZone Subscriber

Default October FDNY Written Test

I know there's a thread on the current FDNY hiring list, but this doesn't pertain to that entirely; so here it goes.

I'm a junior at the University of Texas (Hook 'Em!). Right now I'm at my 2nd Fire Dept. in a combi dept. I know that without Military and Residency Points it's damn near impossible to get on with FDNY, and even if you do it's usually 2-3 years waiting. How many of you that are on/are close to Probie school had none of the points? Also, I don't understand this animosity to guys starting out in EMS and "promoting" over to the fire side. I actually am considering that as an option if it means cutting down the period of waiting. Any thoughts/opinions?

When does FDNY typically announce details for the written. Right now, I know it's scheduled for sometime in October, but when could I expect to have more concrete info? As far as testing goes, I've only taken one test for a paid dept., and that was Austin, Texas. It was a bizarre, subjective, personality biased test. In July, I'll take San Antonio's written which is a typical Civil Service Exam from what I gather. The FDNY test is civil service correct? Any details as to the nature of the written would be great.

That's a ton of questions I know, but I appreciate any and all help I can get. Thanks.

Forum Member

I am just starting probie school now. I had no extra points. I missed one on the written and got a 100% on the physical. My list number is in the 2400's. It's not impossible to get hired from out of state, you just need to get a 100% on both written and physical. The filing for the test will be in October with the test in December (probably). The test is civil service. Study the Baron's firefighter book. The written will consist of a memorization portion and the rest are multiple choice.

The reason the guys object to EMS promotions is that it is a "back door". The FDNY is big on honor and doing the right thing. Come in the front door. You are doing EMS a disservice also by just buying your time until you can get out. Some of the EMS (not all) promotees have not passed the physical the same way the open competetive guys have to. In other words you don't have to get a 100% to get in. I'm not too qualified to speak a lot about that since I have not seen it for myself. I am just passing on what I've heard said about EMS promotees. Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefulprobie
    I am just starting probie school now. I had no extra points. I missed one on the written and got a 100% on the physical. My list number is in the 2400's. It's not impossible to get hired from out of state, you just need to get a 100% on both written and physical. The filing for the test will be in October with the test in December (probably). The test is civil service. Study the Baron's firefighter book. The written will consist of a memorization portion and the rest are multiple choice.

The reason the guys object to EMS promotions is that it is a "back door". The FDNY is big on honor and doing the right thing. Come in the front door. You are doing EMS a disservice also by just buying your time until you can get out. Some of the EMS (not all) promotees have not passed the physical the same way the open competetive guys have to. In other words you don't have to get a 100% to get in. I'm not too qualified to speak a lot about that since I have not seen it for myself. I am just passing on what I've heard said about EMS promotees. Good luck.

You could miss one or two answers and still get appointed. 100% is the ultimate chance though. In the past 95 was usually the cutoff point for a decent chance of being appointed. That is a combined score of written and physical. Aim for 100 and good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had a 94 on the written and 100 on the physical 97 avg. that got me in the low 3200's and i just got my packet to start the background process. I think the next list is going to be harder the hiring is going to start slowing down.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Question on Ranking

I had a question on how FDNY ranks the canidates. I know there are proably 1000 people who only got one wrong and 100 on the physical how do they seperate these people. Does it go by times on the physical? or what question you got wrong on the test? I was always curious about that.
    If anyone has any information I would sure like to find that out! Second I know that FDNY has changed the pay rate for probationary firefighters, but how long are you getting this reduced pay rate? and around what is that pay?

Thank for all your help.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Ties are broken by the last four digits of your social security number.

our current pay is 25,100/year. that rate is only while you're in probie school which is three months. Then it goes up to somehwere around 32,000 until you reach 1.5 years. After that it goes up annually.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tie Breaking

So how does that work for the tie breaking? Do they just randomly pick SSNs? Does it just go from the lowest number to the highest for the last 4? How does that work? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Irrelevant...

Oh and totally unrelated, but I really dislike the Yankees. My boy's the A's just swept the Yankees today. If you work for FDNY you don't have to support the Yankees? Maybe I'll just pretend to like the Mets (though I would be lying to myself)...

Forum Member

If your last four digits are 0000 you would be in a better spot on the list than 0001.

MembersZone Subscriber

ok. that's what i figured but just wanted to be certain. thanks for your help and good luck on the rock.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fdny Test 2006

Take The Next Firefighter Examinations
    Open Competitive Firefighter Examination:
    Examination: December 2006 ( Tentative )
    Filing Period: August 2006 - October 2006 ( Tentative )
    Last edited by LtMedic35; 06-12-2006 at 01:12 PM.

Forum Member

come on! Why even bother showing the promotion to FF dates? Thats just wrong.

MembersZone Subscriber

so do they start on a SSN of 0000 every time or will they randomly pick one?if not that would really suck for me cus mine starts with a 9***

MembersZone Subscriber

I am really interested in applying to the FDNY for the scheduled filing period this year. I am currently a CA resident and want to know if i need a NY drivers license to apply or is it only required when you ultimately get appointed?

MembersZone Subscriber

1st- Anyone interested should at least take the written and physical and get on the list...you don't have to take the job but in 4-6 years when they get to your number...you never know if you don't take the exam.

2nd- You don't need to be a resident until the day you are sworn in.

3rd the SS-number issue. Straight from the Personell rules and regs of the City of New York...Rule 4

4.4.11. Candidates With Same Final Examination Rating.

Whenever two or more candidates in an examination receive the same final examination ratings, their respective place on the resulting eligible list shall be determined for administrative reasons only by a sequence of the number derived from the last five and then the first four positions of their social security numbers.

4.4.12. Certification and Use of Eligible List Where Paragraph 4.4.11 Has Been Applied.

(a) If the name of any eligible whose place on the eligible list has been determined in accordance with the procedures set forth in paragraph 4.4.11 is included in the certification for appointment, the names of all other eligibles on the list having the same final examination rating as such eligible shall likewise be included in such certification.

(b) Appointments and promotions then may be made by the selection of any such eligible whose final examination rating is equal to or higher than the final examination rating of the third highest standing eligible qualified and willing to accept appointment or promotion.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 06-13-2006 at 12:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Important FDNY Question

hey whats going on? Hey, I got a real serious question. I just got out of high school and I always wanted to be an FDNY firefighter. You have to be 21 and have atleast 60 college credits (or 2yrs. military service)...I dont know what I should do! What would help me be a firefighter for FDNY? a paramedic degree or firefighter degree? I want to be an FDNY firefighter...always have since i could walk. But now I need some serious guidance on to what I should and need to do. So Please ask FDNY firefighters and yourself what needs done. Please give them my email (fightwhatyoufear1@yahoo.com) and please help guide me on what to do! Thank you and God Bless!

-Samuel Murray
    Bridgeport Fire Dept. Co.2
    firefighter

Forum Member

It's 30 college credits and it doesn't matter what they are in as long as it's from an accredited school. it can be in basket weaving. Neither a degree in medic or fire will help out any more than any other credits. Take the exam even though you're not 21. By the time the list is up you will be ready. if you're not 21 when they call you, you stay on the list until you reach 21 and then go into the next class. take your college courses while you wait.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation FDNY Question

but would either degree make me stand out more?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefulprobie
    It's 30 college credits and it doesn't matter what they are in as long as it's from an accredited school. it can be in basket weaving. Neither a degree in medic or fire will help out any more than any other credits. Take the exam even though you're not 21. By the time the list is up you will be ready. if you're not 21 when they call you, you stay on the list until you reach 21 and then go into the next class. take your college courses while you wait.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bridgeportfd
    but would either degree make me stand out more?
    It is civil service...there is no "standing out".

Your written score and physical score are combined and averaged and then you are placed on the list according to merit and fitness (aka highest score). Then after passing a physical and a mental exam....you can be appointed a probationary fireman.

A Doctorate in Astro-Physics from MIT or Harvard wouldn't make a lick of difference between you and the guy with a GED and 30 credits from Kingsboro College. If the guy from Kingsboro has a final score of 98.75 and you have a score of 97.53...he gets hired before you.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

[QUOTE=bridgeportfd]hey whats going on? Hey, I got a real serious question. I just got out of high school and I always wanted to be an FDNY firefighter. You have to be 21 and have atleast 60 college credits (or 2yrs. military service)...I dont know what I should do! What would help me be a firefighter for FDNY? a paramedic degree or firefighter degree? I want to be an FDNY firefighter...always have since i could walk. But now I need some serious guidance on to what I should and need to do. So Please ask FDNY firefighters and yourself what needs done. Please give them my email (fightwhatyoufear1@yahoo.com) and please help guide me on what to do! Thank you and God Bless!

I think I would start by changing your email address, and please tell me you dont own a t-shirt with that on it as well. Anyway, I am just kidding. Good luck with following your dream.

MembersZone Subscriber

hahaha....just to let you know I like my email address! lol You are just disappointed you didnt think of it first! lol Thank you for your support! I am thinking about taking an 'study abroad" class for Fire Science. With that degree it will make me more usefull if I get hired.

[QUOTE=Pfd109]
    hey whats going on? Hey, I got a real serious question. I just got out of high school and I always wanted to be an FDNY firefighter. You have to be 21 and have atleast 60 college credits (or 2yrs. military service)...I dont know what I should do! What would help me be a firefighter for FDNY? a paramedic degree or firefighter degree? I want to be an FDNY firefighter...always have since i could walk. But now I need some serious guidance on to what I should and need to do. So Please ask FDNY firefighters and yourself what needs done. Please give them my email (fightwhatyoufear1@yahoo.com) and please help guide me on what to do! Thank you and God Bless!

I think I would start by changing your email address, and please tell me you dont own a t-shirt with that on it as well. Anyway, I am just kidding. Good luck with following your dream.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

hahaha....just to let you know I like my email address! lol You are just disappointed you didnt think of it first! lol Thank you for your support! I am thinking about taking an 'study abroad" class for fire science. where can i get a study guide that will be perfect for the FDNY written and physical test?

[QUOTE=Pfd109]

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Important FDNY QUESTION

hahaha....just to let you know I like my email address! lol You are just disappointed you didnt think of it first! lol Thank you for your support! I am thinking about taking an 'study abroad" class for fire science. where can i get a study guide that will be perfect for the FDNY written and physical test?

Forum Member

Is there an upper age limit and would you have to appointment or test date for that age?
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

I think it's 29 to test, 31 at appointment... but if you have military it extends it...

Thread Information