Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2

    Default Air Force Crosstraining Questions

    Hello all, I am a 23 year old SSgt in USAF Security Forces. I just hit my 4 year mark out of a 6 year enlistment and I am strongly considering crosstraining into firefighting. Dont get me wrong I do love SF but with the way things are headed in our career field they are giving us no incentive to stay in. FF is what I also wanted to do when I came in but the SF openend up first as it was down between the two....But anyways Ill get off the soapbox and ask the questions about FF......what is the good USAF bases for FF, what are the schedules and shifts like, deployments how long how often? How are the people in the field? I know alot of cops are cocky SOB's and we don't get along as like we should this is all i can think of for right now but I am sure if I can think of more Ill be quick to ask. I tried the DODfire.com site but I didnt find anything on there but thanks for your time in reading this....


    Thank you


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoke8354
    Hello all, I am a 23 year old SSgt in USAF Security Forces. I just hit my 4 year mark out of a 6 year enlistment and I am strongly considering crosstraining into firefighting. Dont get me wrong I do love SF but with the way things are headed in our career field they are giving us no incentive to stay in. FF is what I also wanted to do when I came in but the SF openend up first as it was down between the two....But anyways Ill get off the soapbox and ask the questions about FF......what is the good USAF bases for FF, what are the schedules and shifts like, deployments how long how often? How are the people in the field? I know alot of cops are cocky SOB's and we don't get along as like we should this is all i can think of for right now but I am sure if I can think of more Ill be quick to ask. I tried the DODfire.com site but I didnt find anything on there but thanks for your time in reading this....


    Thank you
    Good bases? I guess a place that you would like to be stationed at.... fire prevention in the AF is pretty good, so we dont get a high call volume, compared to cities.. but dont get me wrong, some bases get a lot more calls then others, for example, I am at Nellis right now, and I been on more calls in the 3 months, then i ever went on at my last base, and I was there for almost 3 years.

    the shifts for the AF are pretty much the same, 24 hours on 24 hours off, i have heard of some overseas bases that go 48 on 24 off. so, if u crosstrain, look to be working a 24 hour on 24 hour off. basically u work that shift, and every time its ur 7th shift, u have a K day, which is 3 days off, some bases have 5 days, so every 7 kelly days u would have 5 days off.

    about deployments, I have only been in since the AEF system has been in place... so I have deployed once in almost 4 years, but i am about to leave again... so basically, u get assigend a AEF, and u leave when its activated, but usually only for 4 months.

    the people in the carreer field are great, well i think so. Becuase you see the people u work with almost the same as u see ur wife or kids, its different then a normal job where u see someone for 8- 12 hours then go home. becuase we eat, sleep, watch movies, shower, go through some tough calls, and all that stuff, generally u become pretty close to the people u work with... dont get me wrong, there are some scum bags, just like anyother job, but there are more good then bad...

    Hope this helped u, and hopefully u will cross over to the darkside, and stop doing partrols for 12 hours and making sure airplanes dont more, and checking IDs, and come over and play some HALO 2!! ha ha... j/k had to say it... good luck... let us know if u have any other questions...

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2

    Default another question

    thanks for the info that really helped alot....i do have another question though i was told tongiht by a cop after he found out i wanted to crosstrain that he said that the usaf is gettin rid of FF and making that be civillian contractors and all....is this true and how hard is it to actaully be able to crosstrain into FF and im tryin to get wright pat....im going there from korea in august and i would like to stay what would be the chances after crosstrain......i know it all depends on the needs of the usaf first....they pay me pretty well with benefits and all so i cant complain

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoke8354
    thanks for the info that really helped alot....i do have another question though i was told tongiht by a cop after he found out i wanted to crosstrain that he said that the usaf is gettin rid of FF and making that be civillian contractors and all....is this true and how hard is it to actaully be able to crosstrain into FF and im tryin to get wright pat....im going there from korea in august and i would like to stay what would be the chances after crosstrain......i know it all depends on the needs of the usaf first....they pay me pretty well with benefits and all so i cant complain

    I have too herd that rumor about making all FF jobs civilian, but seriously I would not ever expect to see that anytime in the near future... Some bases do only have civilian fire fighters, for example goodfellow AFB, TX and Edwards AFB, CA.. but majority of the bases are mixed with both, majority are GI's..

    Fire fighting for the AirForce is a tough job to get, because of our world class training and how well we are wanted in the civilian world, but its not impossible... My neibor crosstrained into the job, i met another guy here at nellis who is crosstraining, and currently we have about 3 staffs at my station now who are cross trainees.. Just apply for it, and hopefully you will get it, if not it doesnt sound like you hate your current job...

    I dont know how hard it is to get wright pat as a firefighter, but i mean if ur allready there when u get ur orders for firefighting, then i wouldnt see why they wont let u stay there, would save the AF money right?? you been in long enough to know they will send u where they need you, so be happy with whatever they hook u up with, and again... good luck in the journey!!

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber dday05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,330

    Default A Little Off Subject

    shiftx

    My wifes brother is in the AF at Eglin,and when we were down there a few weeks ago he took us on to the air base,and of course I made him drive by a couple of the fire stations that are on base wich are pretty impressive. My question is I guess how many calls a year do you get? My thoughts driving through the base is that it's very large and seemed to be very populated,and it has very large buildings the potential is there is what I'm trying to say I guess.I'm just being nosey. I read something a few years ago but I don't remember what base it was and I think I remember reading they ran somewhere around 5000 calls a year. BE SAFE

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dday05
    shiftx

    My wifes brother is in the AF at Eglin,and when we were down there a few weeks ago he took us on to the air base,and of course I made him drive by a couple of the fire stations that are on base wich are pretty impressive. My question is I guess how many calls a year do you get? My thoughts driving through the base is that it's very large and seemed to be very populated,and it has very large buildings the potential is there is what I'm trying to say I guess.I'm just being nosey. I read something a few years ago but I don't remember what base it was and I think I remember reading they ran somewhere around 5000 calls a year. BE SAFE
    Eglin is a very big and busy base, fire dept wise, they do run a lot of calls... thay have like 8 or 9 stations, not too sure, could be more... one thing about call volumes with airforce fire dept, we consider anything a call, i mean, when we have to go out and take down a landing barrier for a Heavy to land, we enter that in Aces and NFIRS, and bam there is one call... so when we go reset a bldg alarm that is cause from a power bump, thats a call to us... so we do have a large amount of calls, but 95% of the time, its nothing like a city, where u all run a lot of fires, or what not... we go on every smoke alarm, fire alarm, false alarm to reset panels... burnt popcorn to vent a roon at the hotel cause there alarm system wont reset... u name it we consider a call and log it...

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber dday05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    Thanks for the info and for all that you military people do!!! BE SAFE

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    97

    Default

    xxxshiftxxx, what firehouse are you stationed at? I have met a few of the guys at the house out by the bomb dump. I am Ammo now but my retraining has been approved and I leave for Goodfellow in November, graduate in late Febuary. I drive the black Silverado SS in the Ammo parking lot. Hopefully I can get stationed back here after tech. school. However I did put the Air Force Academy on my dream sheet, from what I understand they get alot of calls. I am sure that would be good experince for me. Take care and be safe.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USAFSSGT
    xxxshiftxxx, what firehouse are you stationed at? I have met a few of the guys at the house out by the bomb dump. I am Ammo now but my retraining has been approved and I leave for Goodfellow in November, graduate in late Febuary. I drive the black Silverado SS in the Ammo parking lot. Hopefully I can get stationed back here after tech. school. However I did put the Air Force Academy on my dream sheet, from what I understand they get alot of calls. I am sure that would be good experince for me. Take care and be safe.
    I am mostly at station 1, Were u the guy who we were talking to that was working on the F 16 a few weeks back, we needed to do some famil on the A/C and some ammo guys were taking something off of it... one of them said he was cross training..?? Airforce Academy is a special duty assigment, u have to apply for it once you get to your 1st base, at least that is what I am told.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xxxshiftxxx
    I am mostly at station 1, Were u the guy who we were talking to that was working on the F 16 a few weeks back, we needed to do some famil on the A/C and some ammo guys were taking something off of it... one of them said he was cross training..?? Airforce Academy is a special duty assigment, u have to apply for it once you get to your 1st base, at least that is what I am told.
    Funny you say that. The guy you were talking to is my friend Nick, he is a loader at Tomahawk (F-16's). We went through Tech school together the first time, he is armament I am Ammo. We have been good friends since. We are going to tech school for the second time, a month apart. Every now and then I BS with the FF's at the station out here by the bomb dump. I really want to go some where that I am going to gain alot of experince and knowledge. Also is it hard to get your EMT here or other bases?

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USAFSSGT
    Funny you say that. The guy you were talking to is my friend Nick, he is a loader at Tomahawk (F-16's). We went through Tech school together the first time, he is armament I am Ammo. We have been good friends since. We are going to tech school for the second time, a month apart. Every now and then I BS with the FF's at the station out here by the bomb dump. I really want to go some where that I am going to gain alot of experince and knowledge. Also is it hard to get your EMT here or other bases?

    with EMT every base is differnt... for example, at my last base, we had a college that would have an EMT class at the fire station every 6 months, so it was easy to get EMT, as long as u passed the test... some hard ****

    Some bases have EMT instructors in house, like here at Nellis, so they will have a class when ever they want to have one...

    so it all depends on the base your at..

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xxxshiftxxx
    with EMT every base is differnt... for example, at my last base, we had a college that would have an EMT class at the fire station every 6 months, so it was easy to get EMT, as long as u passed the test... some hard ****

    Some bases have EMT instructors in house, like here at Nellis, so they will have a class when ever they want to have one...

    so it all depends on the base your at..
    What other schools are offered? Extrication? Engineer? Paramedic? I guess I am restricted until I get my 5 level? If I do end up back here what house do I want to end up at?

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I am currently at Nellis also. I just got the initial approval for fire fighter, and I am going to do the physical and all of that stuff in the next few days. I was wondering if there was any way that I could come and spend a day seeing what you guys do and all of that.

    I am having a really hard time choosing whether to go reserve, reinlist, or just go to a civilian fire dept. I am using this as a gateway to a civilian dept in the long run, but I have a family, and I know we will have financial problems if I go civilian and have to get my training in a college.

    Any info on the day to day stuff would be great. What kind of extra duties do you do, and is there alot of boring tedious type of work? Obviously, it is the military, so there is always busy work =). Thanks in advance.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trent43
    I am currently at Nellis also. I just got the initial approval for fire fighter, and I am going to do the physical and all of that stuff in the next few days. I was wondering if there was any way that I could come and spend a day seeing what you guys do and all of that.

    I am having a really hard time choosing whether to go reserve, reinlist, or just go to a civilian fire dept. I am using this as a gateway to a civilian dept in the long run, but I have a family, and I know we will have financial problems if I go civilian and have to get my training in a college.

    Any info on the day to day stuff would be great. What kind of extra duties do you do, and is there alot of boring tedious type of work? Obviously, it is the military, so there is always busy work =). Thanks in advance.
    What job do you work in now?

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I am on helicopter maintenance (HH60) in the rescue squadron. 763rd mxs.

  16. #16
    cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoke8354
    Hello all, I am a 23 year old SSgt in USAF Security Forces. I just hit my 4 year mark out of a 6 year enlistment and I am strongly considering crosstraining into firefighting. Dont get me wrong I do love SF but with the way things are headed in our career field they are giving us no incentive to stay in. FF is what I also wanted to do when I came in but the SF openend up first as it was down between the two....But anyways Ill get off the soapbox and ask the questions about FF......what is the good USAF bases for FF, what are the schedules and shifts like, deployments how long how often? How are the people in the field? I know alot of cops are cocky SOB's and we don't get along as like we should this is all i can think of for right now but I am sure if I can think of more Ill be quick to ask. I tried the DODfire.com site but I didnt find anything on there but thanks for your time in reading this....


    Thank you
    ...to be honest with you, i do not see anything good in the future for USAF fire protection. Rumor is that later this year, military FFs will combine with Readiness to make an "emergency services" flight again... A lot of cutting in the future for Military firfighters. Honestly, I can only see there being Military firefighters overseas in the near future. Germany, England, Korea, Japan, etc... With the AEF tempo increasing and the combining career fields announced by AFPC, I can't see anythign good coming from it. That's my 2 cents.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Community College of Air Force
    By jprior in forum Federal & Military Firehouse Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 12:44 PM
  2. Do you know the answers? Fire House Questions
    By clubber in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:45 PM
  3. Ganci Air Force Base
    By gunnyv in forum Federal & Military Firehouse Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2002, 08:30 AM
  4. U.S. Air Force Firefighters
    By Medic162 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-02-2002, 02:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts