1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    117

    Default Reaction to SCBA??

    Hey guys,
    My name's Tim and I thought itd be a fulfulling career to be a fireman. So I enrolled for fire academy. Everything's going just fine and we get our gear. I take my scba home and wash it with dish soap and warm water. Later in the following weeks we use our gear and do some drills. Well, one day I noticed I had a dry rash around my face where the scba had been. This went away over a period of 3 days, so I thought nothing of it. Then, the next time we used it I got another rash and this time it lasted for about 2 weeks. I'm not sure if I'm allergic to the latex or what. I withdrew from fire academy, because I felt if I used the scba anymore the rash would have scarred. Any input on this?

    Also, what do you guys do to keep your gear clean without bringing all that junk (chemicals, etc..) home? I'd hate to go to work then come home with clothes filled with nasty crap and throw it in my laundry, only for it to expose all the other laundry we do.
    And, is it true that the life expectancy of a fire fighter is 5 years after retirement? That's what they told us in fire academy.

    Thanks much,
    Stay safe and God Bless

    Tim

    P.s.- If anyone here has aim/icq and would like to talk through that I'd love to talk to someone. My aim is momasboy529 and my icq is 37174310. My email is tburke@youbuywefly.com

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    736

    Angry

    WEll I guess you don't have to worry about it anymore because YOU QUIT!!

  3. #3
    Early Adopter
    cozmosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,925

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho
    Then, the next time we used it I got another rash and this time it lasted for about 2 weeks. I'm not sure if I'm allergic to the latex or what. I withdrew from fire academy, because I felt if I used the scba anymore the rash would have scarred. Any input on this?
    Did you just up and quit? Or did you seek the advice of your instructors and a doctor before resigning? If it was the former, I have no sympathy for you. If it was the latter, you should already have your answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho
    Also, what do you guys do to keep your gear clean without bringing all that junk (chemicals, etc..) home? I'd hate to go to work then come home with clothes filled with nasty crap and throw it in my laundry, only for it to expose all the other laundry we do.
    I don't know anyone who brings their gear home to wash in the same machines as they use for their everyday clothes. On one end of the spectrum, I know departments who are fortunate to have machines specifically designated for bunker gear. On the other end, I know guys who at least use a water hose and brush on their gear when its soiled.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho
    And, is it true that the life expectancy of a fire fighter is 5 years after retirement? That's what they told us in fire academy.
    I can't say that I've ever heard that statistic before. To that end, I'm not even sure how it could be proven. I would think there are too many factors at play to say that most firefighters die within five years of retirement -- age, time on the job, type of department served on, etc. Also, while many of the dangers we face are increased from generations passed... We also use more safety gear than ever before.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Riverton, IL
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho
    Hey guys,
    My name's Tim and I thought itd be a fulfulling career to be a fireman. So I enrolled for fire academy. Everything's going just fine and we get our gear. I take my scba home and wash it with dish soap and warm water. Later in the following weeks we use our gear and do some drills. Well, one day I noticed I had a dry rash around my face where the scba had been. This went away over a period of 3 days, so I thought nothing of it. Then, the next time we used it I got another rash and this time it lasted for about 2 weeks. I'm not sure if I'm allergic to the latex or what. I withdrew from fire academy, because I felt if I used the scba anymore the rash would have scarred. Any input on this?

    Also, what do you guys do to keep your gear clean without bringing all that junk (chemicals, etc..) home? I'd hate to go to work then come home with clothes filled with nasty crap and throw it in my laundry, only for it to expose all the other laundry we do.
    And, is it true that the life expectancy of a fire fighter is 5 years after retirement? That's what they told us in fire academy.

    Thanks much,
    Stay safe and God Bless

    Tim

    P.s.- If anyone here has aim/icq and would like to talk through that I'd love to talk to someone. My aim is momasboy529 and my icq is 37174310. My email is tburke@youbuywefly.com
    I could of been as easy as you were allergic to the dish soap on your face. I just dont understand why you quit because of this problem.
    Riverton Fire and EMS
    Lieutenant/Paramedic

    Risk a lot to save a lot.
    Risk a little to save a little.
    Risk nothing to save nothing.

    www.rafpd.org
    www.franklindesigning.com

  5. #5
    Permanently Removed
    CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    You quit because of a rash on your face? I sometimes get acne from my sweaty helmet band rubbing my forehead, but then I nut up and get over it.

    As for the early retirement issue, it varies from person to person, FD to FD. If your smart and use your PPE and dont be "old school", then your life expectancy could be nice and long after retirement.

    You really should have gotten some more information on everything BEFORE enrolling in an academy. Find out if this career was for you early.

    As for washing your gear- I would do it at work if they have the right machine for it. OR....do what I use to do, bring your PPE home ans wash it outside with some dish soap, garden house and let them drip dry IN THE SHADE. I would also run a wooden pole through the coat arms so they woud get nice and streched out during the process.

    PS- I only time I quit something is when the woman says- "Lets just be friends..."
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 06-10-2006 at 02:41 PM.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Yea, I regret quitting. But at the same time i didn't want the rashs to scar. Ofcourse these are all excuses...

    I did speak with my EMT instructor and he wasn't really sure. I'm going to the doctor this month and I will ask him about it then. All in all it was a bad and rash move for me to just skip out like that.But, I need to move on and make up for those mistakes.
    Though the thought of a career as a cop/firefighter intrigues me, I have yet to decide which I should pursue. I want to be able to help people more directly which pushes me towards fire.

    Thanks for all of the replies and all to come.
    Tim

    Stay safe and God bless

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    RyanEMVFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas
    Posts
    2,386

    Default

    Guess I only have 4 years left. As for the rash like the others stated, it could be what you washed it in also. I'd see a dermatologist and take some tests.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

    Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    dday05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    [QUOTE=Pancho]Yea, I regret quitting. But at the same time i didn't want the rashs to scar. Ofcourse these are all excuses...

    Though the thought of a career as a cop/firefighter intrigues me, I have yet to decide which I should pursue. I want to be able to help people more directly which pushes me towards fire.

    Well fire is out, so being a cop is next huh? Be careful I heard that donuts cause a unknown rash also (just giving you a hard time) Anyways if you decide to go back to fire school will they let you start where you left off or start all over again? What ever you decide think about it your RASH decisions could cost you alot of $$ in the end.BE SAFE

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    fireman4949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    It sounds to me as though the rash was more of an excuse than the reason for quitting...No medical advice sought...No other alternatives explored...

    I would have had to have had holes eaten into my face before I would have quit the academy! Even then, I would have found some way to suck it up and worked through it. Of course, that's just me...I KNEW I wanted to be a fireman!

    Perhaps you don't fully understand that for most of the people in the fire service, it is as much a calling, as it is a career.

    I hope you figure out what you want to do, and if you eventually do decide upon becoming a firefighter, put you heart (and your head) into it 100%!




    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    E229Lt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    2,987

    Default

    Though the thought of a career as a cop/firefighter intrigues me, I have yet to decide which I should pursue.
    If you're going to pursue the PD, you better check to make sure you're not allegic to honey glaze.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    I sometimes get acne from my sweaty helmet band rubbing my forehead, but then I nut up and get over it.
    And what kind of helmet is it that causes these outbreaks






























    Just could not pass this up!!!!!!
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

  12. #12
    Permanently Removed
    CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    Ummm....Alex....that would be an OSHA approved, NFPA compliant helmet for $400, please.

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt
    If you're going to pursue the PD, you better check to make sure you're not allegic to honey glaze.
    Someone get me some saline cuz that was third degree.
    FF/NREMT-B

    FTM-PTB!!

    Brass does not equal brains.

    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Out and About
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho
    All in all it was a bad and rash move for me to just skip out like that.
    A rash move because of a rash . . . hmmmmm

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. SOP's for Volunteer FD
    By rumlfire in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 10:35 PM
  2. Another for what were they thinking file.
    By stm4710 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 06:30 PM
  3. Civilian Fire Fatalities
    By DCFF in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-08-2002, 08:18 AM
  4. Thermal Imaging SOG's
    By wtfd92 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-27-2001, 08:41 PM
  5. What pressure?
    By smketr in forum The Engineer
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-04-1999, 12:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register