Thread: Boot Brain

Forum Member

Default Boot Brain

Howdy!

I'm about two weeks away from finishing the Tucson Fire Academy and I didn't know where to post this. I don't have a question, but I would like to post some software "screen shots" that I recently wrote for my class mates and I for our up-coming boot year. I'm looking for feedback and suggestions as to what I can add or delete from those that have been through a probie or boot year.

I call it Boot Brain 1.0 and I will send it to anyone that wants it... free of course. For most of you that are not in a "boot or probie year"... I guess it could be helpful if your going to test for promotion and want a way to help keep track of exactly how much time you are divoting to certain tasks and/or classes.

My email to my class mates on how to use it was as follows:
    WARNING: NERD TALK

I was thinking about our transition to the field this afternoon. More specifically, our boot year and everything that entails. As some of you know, I can be a total space cadet and tend to be forgetful of simple things that need to be done. For that reason, I came up with a little something that may or may not help. Its my first attempt at firefighter "software", so its rough around the edges. A work in progress, to be sure, and ANY feedback (negative or positive) would be appreciated.

The main menu is the access point to the entire package.

STUDY TRACKER
    The Study Tracker is is broken down month by month. When you click on "JUN" for example it will bring up the month of June and all of the classes that I intend to study. You are free to change the classes, and this is how: Click "View" and then Click "toolbars", then click "Standard" and "formatting". After that you can make text changes.

I'm the type that studies on my computer, if your not that type read past this paragraph. The classes are hyperlinked to files on my computer so when I click on the class name the file is automatically brought up. The downfall is that this will not work on yours until you change the hyperlink. In order to point those hyperlinks in the right direction on your computer: You need to right click the class and a little drop down menu will appear. Go down to "edit hyperlink" and point the computer in the right direction by navigating to where you keep your notebook files.

Enter the time in minutes that you have spent studying the subject in each cell. This will show you exactly how much time you have spent studying a particular subject (in the "total" area). I'm going to use this to ensure that I don't skip or spend too much time on a certain area.

To get back to the main menu from the month that you happen to be in; click the month name in the upper left hand corner.

STATION TASK LIST
    The station task list is self explanatory. Fill in the tasks that you need to complete at your station and then print it out. If its not enough room, I feel sorry for you...

THE REST OF THE STORY
    When you get to your first station; you can link the S Drive, Intranet and your city Email account to the links on the main menu page.

Above all, I don't want any of us to get fired during our boot year for failing a Module test. If you were to fail a test... but could show your captain that you were studying with documentation... it could save your job. Of course that is hearsay on my part, but I don't see it hurting you. Anyway, thanks for being my guinea pigs...

Screen Shots:

Thanks for any feedback!

Forum Member

Forum Member

Hmm, so...from what I can see you have exploited Microsoft Excel to a decent limit. I'm only moderately impressed. Personally speaking, I don't care how many hours I've spent on a task, I do it until I'm proficient. Anything less isn't worth it, and I sure don't need to record it...unless for a specific reason, such as Paramedic clinical hours. I'm not saying your "program" is useless, I'm sure there are anal-retentive folks who can use it. Good luck selling it here.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default why

Why do people get in these forums and bad mouth each other? i've never understood the folks that take this time to "slam" other members of the family.

Personally i like the idea of the program. I would like a copy please and would like to talk to you about some other issues. i'll write you a private message with my email.

thanks,

keith
    Last edited by keith292; 06-12-2006 at 09:19 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default somethisg is screwy

private message me your email please---for some reason it won;t let me private message you but i can receive your private masseages.

thanks

keith

Forum Member

He is a guest and not a regular memeber...thats why
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Thread Information