Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Salute FDNY's devotion - and chief's grace

By Michael Daly
    Every decent person on Earth should be glad Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is no longer among us, but a bigger devil came to mind yesterday as you walked toward what has become known as Ground Zero.
    Zarqawi had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11. Osama Bin Laden had everything to do with it, and he was sitting smug somewhere even as you gazed from the upper edge of a place where people are awed by what is no longer there.

Then, the sound of bagpipes seemed to rise from The Pit, as they had exactly four years before when the FDNY band led the way up the ramp to mark the official closing of the recovery effort.

But you realized it was just a trick of acoustics. The trilling was coming from outside the little firehouse at the downtown edge of The Pit. The band had returned to Ground Zero to play for the unveiling of a 56-foot bronze memorial frieze affixed to the exterior of the home quarters of Engine 10/Ladder 10.

The Stars and Stripes snapped in a brisk breeze above "10 House" as the last of the pipes fell silent. Capt. Thomas Meara took the podium to read a poem he had chanced upon in an old book. The poem had been written in 1914 by FDNY Commissioner and Chief of Department Patrick Walsh after he witnessed the inaugural lighting of the Statue of Liberty's torch.

"Long may you shine that you may be

To others as you were to me

A guiding light of hope and love

Inspiring higher thoughts above

And if that day should ever come

That foreign foe invades your home

I hope and pray that I may be

The first to rise defending thee."

Eighty-seven years later, a foreign foe in the person of Bin Laden and his thugs had indeed attacked, within sight of that upraised torch. The Fire Department made good Walsh's vow to be among the first to respond.

The effort in the north tower that day was commanded by Peter Hayden, who survived to become Walsh's successor as the chief of department. He followed Meara to the podium yesterday and described sending firefighters to rescue people trapped in the inferno above.

"Looking them in the eye, I knew that they too had a sense that some of them were not going to return," Hayden said. "We knew some of us would not get out of this alive."

Hayden spoke without so much as a note card before him. He had the eloquence of someone who has witnessed human beings at their most magnificent.

"And yet the firefighters kept coming," he said. "Putting themselves in harm's way so that others might live. They climbed skyward."

He described the collapse of the south tower and then the north. His voice thickened as he talked of firefighters for whom the department was a family calling.

"They said, 'Chief, have you seen my father? Have you seen my son? Have you seen my brother?'" he recalled.

Hayden reminded everyone that the firefighters had kept up the recovery effort around the clock until there was nothing more to recover. He then offered the best summary to date of the failed effort by the powers that be to build a memorial in that still empty pit.

"We've had empty promises from empty suits," he said.

Here was the candor that caused City Hall not to extend his two-year appointment, in essence forcing him into retirement this month, not even allowing him to remain until the fifth anniversary of 9/11. He concluded with the simplest of prayers.

"May God bless these brave men, and may they rest in peace."

As a single drum rolled, present members of the little firehouse at the edge of The Pit then unveiled the 56 feet of brass depicting firefighters in action. The words that jumped out were "LEST WE FORGET."

Below were the names of the 343 firefighters and Fire Department paramedics who perished. Families began making rubbings, as they do at the Vietnam memorial in Washington.

The 343 names here include Firefighter Peter Biefeld, who was at the medical division in Brooklyn and dashed across the bridge after the first plane hit. He grabbed a turnout coat from 10 House and raced into the south tower, leaving a note:

"I'm borrowing this gear. Hope to return it. If I don't come back. ..."

He and the others are gone almost five years, and the devil who killed them sits smug even as our city's leaders force out a man such as Hayden. We can at least look at those 343 names and be reminded that when the foreign foe came, absolute evil was met with perfect grace.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Powerful.

Nearly 5 years later and 87 years later.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 06-11-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Forum Member

Thanks......
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Default FYI -- Marine falls in Iraq firefight

The nephew of FDNY Chief of Department Peter Hayden has been killed battling insurgents with his Marine unit in Iraq, his mother confirmed yesterday. Queens-born Michael Glover, 28, was mortally injured in a firefight Wednesday outside the insurgent hotbed of Fallujah, 35 miles west of Baghdad. "I'm very proud of him," Glover's mom, Margaret, said. "He wanted to do this, to go over there, for himself and for the country." Hayden, who retired from the Fire Department in June, was traveling and couldn't be reached for comment. Margaret Glover said her son died on his first tour of duty in Iraq, which was to end Oct. 28. "I didn't allow myself to focus on anything else but the fact that my son would be home for Thanksgiving and we'll have dinner with the big family," she said wistfully. Glover was born and raised in Far Rockaway, where he attended Xavier High School. The heartbroken mother said Glover worked summers as a lifeguard, played the guitar and "always found a way to make people laugh." His mom said he graduated with honors from Albany State University and interrupted his law studies at Pace University to join the Marines. "He said he had thought about joining all along because it was something he wanted to do . . . to fight for his country. He was ready to go," she said. A cousin, Rita Martin, shook her head and said sadly, "He just had more friends than anyone can count."

Funeral arrangements were incomplete last night.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

God Bless Michael...may he rest in peace!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default another sad note:

A Brooklyn Marine and state trooper has become the second New Yorker killed in a dramatic firefight with Iraqi insurgents Wednesday. Capt. John McKenna 4th, 30, was shot in Fallujah, 35 miles west of Baghdad, in the same skirmish in which Queens-born Michael Glover, 28, was mortally wounded. McKenna's family was told he had been gunned down by an insurgent sniper. He was serving his second tour in Iraq. "When he got called back to Iraq I said to his dad, I don't like this, I have bad vibrations," said his uncle and godfather, Robert McKenna, 55, yesterday. "But he just loved being a Marine. He said, 'If they tell me to go somewhere, I go.' He was so focused on what he had to do." "He was such a great kid, real outgoing and popular. People loved him, and he had a ton of friends. My son adored him." McKenna, who grew up in Kensington and attended Bishop Ford Central Catholic High School, joined the Marines after graduating from SUNY Binghamton. He was inspired by relatives who had served in the military, including a granduncle shot by a Nazi sniper in World War II, said his uncle. During four years of service, he served in Iraq and Afghanistan before leaving to become a state trooper in Albany. He remained a Marine reservist. State Police Supt. Wayne Bennett said yesterday, "The New York State Police is proud to have had Trooper McKenna serve in our ranks. "His dedication will forever be remembered. We have lost a hero and a true American patriot." Both McKenna and Glover were reservists who served in the 2nd Battalion, 25th Marines, based out of Albany. They had been due to finish their tour of duty in October.

McKenna, who was single, is survived by his father, John McKenna 3rd; his mother, Karen, and his sister, Allyson Zehrfuhs.

Funeral arrangements are being finalized, but his family is planning to have the service at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Brooklyn, where his granduncle's name is on a war memorial.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Unhappy

Such good people taken away from us at such an early age. God bless the families.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Default Mourning a Marine, Remembering the Man

August 27, 2006 -- A lot of words get tossed around in the Marine Corps: honor, service, duty, country, courage, faith.vBut then there is death, which makes these things so sweet to a marine. It is the threat of death, the fact of death, that gives abstractions weight. They spoke of death yesterday at the funeral of Lance Cpl. Michael D. Glover, although they also spoke of life. Of the young marine who enlisted after 9/11 and was shipped to Falluja. Of “G-Love” from the Rockaways. Of “Glover” from Xavier High. Of girls in the bar and beers on the beach. Of rugby, law school, and Sunday family dinners. Of a black denim jacket and a baseball cap. Corporal Glover, 28, was killed on Aug. 16 while on a foot patrol in Falluja, when a sniper’s bullet struck him in the head. He was to have come home in October with his unit, the Second Battalion of the 25th Marines. But instead there was a funeral, at St. Francis de Sales Roman Catholic Church, in Belle Harbor, Queens, the parish of his birth. Rain fell on the church at 9 a.m., as the Fire Department bagpipe band was tuning up. Corporal Glover’s uncle is Peter E. Hayden, a chief who oversaw the Fire Department’s rescue operation at the north tower on Sept. 11. On the sidewalk, three young women in black smoked cigarettes in little sip-like puffs. A group of firefighters stood beside them, shifting on their feet and sipping coffee. Fire trucks lined Rockaway Beach Boulevard, ladders in the air and hung with flags. When the hearse passed and stopped outside the church, it was silent. Saturdays in the Rockaways are like that. No sound at all except the wind. There were little things. How young the Marine Corps pallbearers looked. How an infant cried as the coffin went by. How Margaret Glover, the corporal’s mother, carried her grief in the muscles of her jaw. Inside, the church was packed with mourners and marines — some of them so recently returned from overseas, they still had tans. “He put his life on hold to join us,” Sgt. Todd N. Venetz said in his eulogy. A good marine. Volunteered for everything. Didn’t ask too many questions. Kept to the task. Corporal Glover dropped out of law school in 2004, after only one year, to join the Marines. He had been feeling anxious, restless, ever since 9/11, said his cousin Peter Hayden Jr., who is the chief’s son. “He didn’t talk about it much, but you could see he was feeling helpless,” Mr. Hayden said. “He felt he had to do something.” And that was the Marines, which in this case meant Iraq. Corporal Glover arrived in March and was sent to the largely Sunni Al Anbar province. He was on patrol two weeks ago with Capt. John McKenna of Brooklyn, his platoon commander, when they were both surprised by insurgent fire and shot in the head. Captain McKenna was buried on Friday at Saratoga National Cemetery. Corporal Glover was buried at Mount St. Mary Cemetery in Flushing. But Mr. Hayden, in his eulogy, chose to remember Corporal Glover as the funny cousin he used to hunt Easter eggs with, or fight with over a seat in front of the television set. As the guy, he said, who once tried a “Dukes of Hazzard” move on his car, but slid off the trunk and fell through the open hatchback window. Or who forgot his keys one time and climbed the fire escape, but went in through the wrong window — to an apartment, Mr. Hayden said, that happened to belong to “a New Rochelle cop.” Then came the Marine Corps — and Mr. Hayden was stunned. And proud, he said. He read from one of Corporal Glover’s letters from Iraq: “I took an oath — and it’s the best oath I ever took. I’m at peace if I come back with parts of me missing. And I’m at peace if I don’t come back at all.”
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    Such good people taken away from us at such an early age. God bless the families.
    I wish I could say more, but since I can't, let me just say that I echo NYSmokey's sentiments.

Cheers,
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Thread Information