Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Irish Firefigther seriously injured in attack

RTE News 9th June 2006
    On the nigth of the 9th of June 2006, as Dublin fire Brigade responed to a call of a derilict buildling on fire, they dispatched the first appliance, Delta 42 to the scene as the first due and the closest appliance to the area...the fire tender had proceded 5 to 10 minutes away from the station when they passed a large crowd returning from a concert in a nearby stadium, when a full closed bottle of beer was thrown into the rear window of the appliance, stricking the firefigthers face causing serious facial injuries.

The resulting blow from the bottle resulted in the firefigther requiring 34 stitchs to the face with a return to hospital for plastic surgery. The attack has been comdemned from the Irish Fire Services and all present Unions, and have called for specific Legistration to protect emergency services accross the country.

On the 9th of June I was workin a late shift in work and on my way to a fire a full bottle of beer was thrown in the window of the fire engine smashin in my face. I've been released from hospital but had to have 35 stitchs in my face and will need plastic surgery to fix the lacerations. The attack has hit all the national news papers over here and has been on the news since it happened asking any witnesses to come forward...the below link is a link to our national news program and you can see for your self what happened

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0610/firefighter.html

Irish Independent News Paper
    A FIREFIGHTER was hospitalised with serious injuries after he was attacked onFriday night while on anemergency call.

Fireman Jonathan Forbes received 35 stitches in his face after being struck by a bottle, thrown at him by a member of the public, while driving through Fairview in Dublin. Mr Forbes, a firefighter for four years, based at North Strand station, was a passenger in a fire engine when a man stepped out in front of the vehicle and threw the bottle through the open window.

It hit his face, causing severe injuries and he was rushed by ambulance to the Mater. The incident happened at around 11.15pm, as concert-goers were still in the area following the Robbie Williams gig in Croke Park. The man ran off, but gardai believe the large number of witnesses can help them to track him down.

Chairman of the National Firefighters Committee Brian Murray said it was "a particularly savage attack " and "very deliberate".

Mr Murray said the Government needed to introduce more severe penalties for those convicted of assaulting members of the emergency services.

"Legislation was recently introduced in the UK which means that assaults on emergency-service workers are dealt with severely," he said. "We want to see that legislation introduced here."

He urged anyone with information to contact Clontarf gardai on (01) 666-4800.

It was the second attack on fire crews in a week. Last Monday, a man threw a missile at a fire tender and when firefighters got out to hold him, a large group of people emerged from nearby flats. The firemen had to let the man go and leave the scene.

If you havnt already realised, just to let you know..the above story is about me..the picture in question was taken about 15 minutes after i arrived at the hospital.
    Last edited by JonnytheTurk; 06-11-2006 at 04:01 PM.
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

DAMN JONNY!!!! You have had a rough time of it over the past few months!

Get well son brother. I hope they get the ***** that did this.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Get well soon Jonny.

Like, sconfire said, I hope they catch the SOB that did this!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Proud Dad.

Default Take care

Good luck on your recovery.
    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/co50ffyetter/New%20Rescue5-1/th_Rescue51.jpg
    Yes the rigs are green. Can't lose a green fire engine in a parade, right?

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

I read this and said HOLY S**T out loud. Jonny I wish you a speedy recovery. I hope they catch this idiot and make a nationwide example out of him. Maybe this will get the politicians to pass that much needed legislation. Hang in there brother.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

I personally think that the person who threw the bottle at our Brother from the Emerald Isle should be given a choice....

20 years in prison or a few moments alone with the lads from the Turk's firehouse... followed by a face to face with the Turk himself!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Default Roumd up a posse

Lets get a crusty road trip to Ireland together. Kick some hooligans ***. Hope youre doing better Jon.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Lets get a crusty road trip to Ireland together. Kick some hooligans ***. Hope youre doing better Jon.

I'll second that!

God Bless ya Brother! I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Ouch! Boy Jonny, you look like you went a round with a whole band of soccer hooligans. As bad as it is, at least it didn't do any more serious and permanent damage. I hope they can get you a good surgeon to patch all that up nice and neat, but you were too pretty anyways. This will just give you that extra-tough crusty look.

And I'm with the rest, I hope they ID the SOB so you or the boys can have your day with them. Good luck with that legislation too. It's a been a long time coming.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Jonny, Here's to a speedy recovery, and hopefully the ------- that did this is caught and punished with extreme predjudice!!!!

Alan

Jonny.

Glad there is no permanent disability from this most cowardly incident.

I would say to keep smiling, but it looks like that action might be painfull at the moment.

All the best Brother.

Kia Kaha.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thumbs down

HOLY ***** is right!

As others have pointed out, you've sure had one hell of a time lately, Jonny. I watched as your Brotherhood helped you get through a tough time and now this. Unfreakinbelievable! I too, hope you have a speedy recovery.

And I hope they catch the F***ER that did this! At the very least, assault with a weapon. Gonzo's suggestion works for me.

Take care of yourself, Jonny.

And please keep us updated.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT

HELL YEAH!!! Count me in!
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Angry Freekin Hulligan!!!!!!!!

Let's Give This Nancy A Freekin Good ***** Kicking!!!! Here's To A Speedy Recovery Brother.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    I personally think that the person who threw the bottle at our Brother from the Emerald Isle should be given a choice....

20 years in prison or a few moments alone with the lads from the Turk's firehouse... followed by a face to face with the Turk himself!

I'm all in favour of this idea!

Best wishes to full and speedy recovery, my Friend. Just happy to hear it wasn't more serious than it could have been.

MembersZone Subscriber

Johnny
    Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. I hope they catch the **** who did this. Take care and stay safe.

Cheffie

Forum Member

Johny, wishing a speedy recovery for you. Don't worry, in the end, that idiot will get his.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

I'm continually amazed at the level of cowardice some people can achieve. Heal well and quickly, Jonny. Here's hoping they catch this bastard soon!
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

IrishBrigade
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sorry to hear the news.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

It's something you usually read about happening in Belfast but not Dublin.

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Bump..........
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Thread Information