Forum Member

Default Steelers Quarterback in motorcycle accident

The Steelers quarterback was involved in an accident Monday at 11:15 am. Reports are that he was not wearing a helmet and sustained injuries to his head.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

My questions is how dumb do you have to be not to wear a helmet on a motorcycle?

MembersZone Subscriber

My questions is how dumb do you have to be not to wear a helmet on a motorcycle?
    I completely agree but get ready for some slams. Mandatory helmet laws are hated by many riders and have been repealed in many states. Here's a link to a NHTSA study that looked at the before and after stats for two states.
    Last edited by EFD840; 06-12-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Forum Member

Funny you say that I have been riding my ATV for 6 years now and never wore a helmet well on Easter sunday I was riding around and actually decided to put it on well guess what? I crashed and went over the handlebars and my ATV ran me over...I thought it was very ironic all the times I never wore my helmet the one time I do I crash it. When I wear a helmet its like I'm being held back from enjoying the ride and most of the time it hinders my peripheral vision. Now on the issue on wearing helmets is, everyone is their own person and can make their own choices.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope Ben recovers fullly, he is lucky to be alive. About helmet laws... make your own choices, but pay more for insurance so I don't have to pay to keep you in a rehab center for years.. oh, and make organ donor cards mandatory.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are an adult and you choose ot to wear a helmet, I couldn't care less.

But what about Ben's thought process here...

"I am getting paid millions of dollars to play a game. I am a star. All I have to do on Sunday is go out there and throw a ball to someone. I think I will go drive a motorcycle with no helmet on and see what happens. After all, they will still pay me if I am a drolling vegetable sitting in a nursing home, won't they?".

MembersZone Subscriber

I wrecked my bike almost 4 weeks ago. I got the whole package to the trauma room. I broke my left elbow, tore it open, tore open my left knee, road burn to right knee and left arm, big bruising and swelling to my right side and back....the list of rashes, bruises, and stitches goes on and on...... I hope to get back to work in about 2 more weeks. I am up and walking and thank God I lived and am not permanently screwed up.............OH YEAH..I did wear my helmet and on the lower back right side is a 2 inch gash about 1/4 inch deep and some other scuffs. Helmets can save lives!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    I completely agree but get ready for some slams. Mandatory helmet laws are hated by many riders and have been repealed in many states. Here's a link to a NHTSA study that looked at the before and after stats for two states.
    Question how come police officers can pull you over for not wearing your seatbelt in your vehicle? But joe motorcycle rider is'nt required to wear a helmet,that makes no sense to me! I ride dirt bikes all the time and when you crash the helmet does do it's job ( even though there's not much to protect) BE SAFE

MembersZone Subscriber

Id be willing to bet he would never step foot onto a football field without his helmet. I dont know what makes him think that an impact with another vehicle or the ground at low-moderate speed on a motorcycle would be any less harmful than any guy in the NFL.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

More work for me if they don't wear a helmet.

I'm just curious about the HIPPA violations when they talk about his condition and all on the news.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

There's no such thing as a 'fender bender' on a motorcycle. Seen enough of them, and the way other motorists either ignore a bike or don't see them. No thanks. Maybe I'm getting old but I would take and wear the bloody helmet without a second thought. Tough way to learn a lesson.
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

Forum Member

I don't think that there should be any choice in the matter of wearing helmets. The government is supposed to make laws to protect us, and most of the time to protect us from ourselves. I know you don't "feel as free" with a helmet on but will feel more free with a helmet than being a vegetable.

Maybe I just feel different than most because it is hard to watch some you know suffer because they did not wear a helmet. My cousin spent 3 months in a coma because he decided not to wear a helmet on his ATV.

You would think that Ben would wear a helmet to cover up his face so people don't harass him while he is out, or maybe he wants the attention? I don't know?

Forum Member

Michigan is about to repeal its helmet law. As a former motorcycle rider not wearing a helmet is like not wearing a seatbelt. I'd feel extremely vulernable without it.

I've talked with other people in our department and received some very passionate responses. One person pretty much said if they choose not to wear a helmet that's a signed DNR form in their mind.

My opinion is that if you don't want to wear one that's fine. Here's your price for your choice.

1, Triple your insurance rates on all your vehicles, your health insurance and disability insurance.

2, Sign a release that prevents you from suing anyone inloved in a accident with you and prevents you from filing bankruptcy because you can't pay due to injuries that could have been prevent.

3, Mandatory Organ Donation

MembersZone Subscriber

How many of you feel it is too much of a risk to sky-dive, base-jump, Free-dive, mountain climb, white water raft, box, wrestle, play hockey, race drag cars...firefighting...(some of you for free I might add)

All these have associated risks far above normal daily required activities. Should government also ban these to protect us from ourselves?

Should they ban motorcyles all together since there is no way to properly protect the riders other than the helmet?

It is a shame in America we've regressed to the point where so many are so involved in regulating other peoples lives that they've completely lost sight about the best parts of living in a free-society.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    How many of you feel it is too much of a risk to sky-dive, base-jump, Free-dive, mountain climb, white water raft, box, wrestle, play hockey, race drag cars...firefighting...(some of you for free I might add)

All these have associated risks far above normal daily required activities. Should government also ban these to protect us from ourselves?

Should they ban motorcyles all together since there is no way to properly protect the riders other than the helmet?

It is a shame in America we've regressed to the point where so many are so involved in regulating other peoples lives that they've completely lost sight about the best parts of living in a free-society.

FTM-PTB
    The government shouldn't do anythig like that. But I think if a private corporation is paying me a hundred skajillion dollars to play a game, it might be reasonable for them to tell me not to do it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    The government shouldn't do anythig like that. But I think if a private corporation is paying me a hundred skajillion dollars to play a game, it might be reasonable for them to tell me not to do it.
    I agree there George...this guy wasn't thinking considering his salary and what he needs to do to command that salary. I was just commenting on the cries for baning this and prohibiting that.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    I agree there George...this guy wasn't thinking considering his salary and what he needs to do to command that salary. I was just commenting on the cries for baning this and prohibiting that.

FTM-PTB
    I know. We agree 100%.

Forum Member

Amen.

It used to be laws where aimed at saying you can't hurt others.

Now they say you can't hurt yourself. Yes, I know if you really, really stretch there are arguments that seatbelts help you maintain control in certain types of situations. That's an exceptionally rare situation.

Then they say, "Why, look at the cost to society of the medical bills!"

Fine, let's look at what private insurance and public welfare pay each year...

For unplanned pregnancies.

Anyone want to bet the cost to society for the caring for pregnancies, for the welfare to unwanted children, for the healthcare to those children, for abortions, etc, etc exceedes the cost of the marginal number of additional deaths and injuries caused by lack of seatbelts and helmets? Never mind the social costs to the children born into dysfunctional (or nonexistant) families.

For those who rah-rah mandatory seat belt and helmet laws, explain why the government shouldn't be requiring mandatory contraception (implantable, so you don't *wink* forget) unless you've filed a financial responsibility statement, your private health insurance card, and have undergone pyschiatric screening, and been counseled all about having a baby.

It's just as valid of an idea, it achieves similiar goals of "improved quality of life," "reduces societal costs," yadda yadda yadda -- yeah, sure it steps on toes (hooves?) of radical sacred cows like the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the religous beliefs of some. But hey, it's for your own good!

Sadly, this is one of those I fear I may fall into the "Rush" syndrome of "I used to joke...now it's true..." -- watch if the continued decline in personal responsibility and choice doesn't see the Left (We know how to plan your life better...) and Right (Well, we're not going to pay for those welfare babies!) doesn't combine on yet another issue to come up with something just as stupid as helmet laws and seatbelt laws -- mandatory contraceptive implants.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190

Amen.

It used to be laws where aimed at saying you can't hurt others.

Now they say you can't hurt yourself. Yes, I know if you really, really stretch there are arguments that seatbelts help you maintain control in certain types of situations. That's an exceptionally rare situation.

Then they say, "Why, look at the cost to society of the medical bills!"

Fine, let's look at what private insurance and public welfare pay each year...

For unplanned pregnancies.

Anyone want to bet the cost to society for the caring for pregnancies, for the welfare to unwanted children, for the healthcare to those children, for abortions, etc, etc exceedes the cost of the marginal number of additional deaths and injuries caused by lack of seatbelts and helmets? Never mind the social costs to the children born into dysfunctional (or nonexistant) families.

For those who rah-rah mandatory seat belt and helmet laws, explain why the government shouldn't be requiring mandatory contraception (implantable, so you don't *wink* forget) unless you've filed a financial responsibility statement, your private health insurance card, and have undergone pyschiatric screening, and been counseled all about having a baby.

It's just as valid of an idea, it achieves similiar goals of "improved quality of life," "reduces societal costs," yadda yadda yadda -- yeah, sure it steps on toes (hooves?) of radical sacred cows like the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the religous beliefs of some. But hey, it's for your own good!

Sadly, this is one of those I fear I may fall into the "Rush" syndrome of "I used to joke...now it's true..." -- watch if the continued decline in personal responsibility and choice doesn't see the Left (We know how to plan your life better...) and Right (Well, we're not going to pay for those welfare babies!) doesn't combine on yet another issue to come up with something just as stupid as helmet laws and seatbelt laws -- mandatory contraceptive implants.
    Let me get this straight.

A NFL QB has a motorcycle accident, not wearing a helmet in a non-mandatory helmet state and sustains severe head injuries.

And you think the backlash of that accident will be the mass implantation of contraceptive implants in the women of the US?

QUICK! Look out the windows! There is a black helicopter over your bunker!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    And you think the backlash of that accident will be the mass implantation of contraceptive implants in the women of the US?

QUICK! Look out the windows! There is a black helicopter over your bunker!
    LOL...

And I've been thinking the breeze in here was from the ceiling fan...hmmmm.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Any Baltimore, Cleveland or Cinncinati fans happy?
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEMVFD
    Any Baltimore, Cleveland or Cinncinati fans happy?
    Yeah. Any football fans out there happy that one of the most talented QB's in the league almost killed himself and may not be ready to start training camp?

Forum Member

As a season ticket holder for the Cincinnati Bengals I am not happy about what happened to Ben, but I don't feel bad for him because he would be fine if he would have worn a helmet. I want him to make a 100% recovery and be back for the Bengals vs Steelers game and then lose to the Bengals. I want to beat them when they are at their best, not the worst.

The rumors in Pittsburgh are that the car that hit him had Ohio plates and they are saying it was Carson Palmer out to get revenge.

I am not gonna lie, I have a deep hatered for the Steelers (mostly the fans, Joey Porter and Hines Ward). I get a little bit of enjoyment thinking of the fans and how they are crying that Ben might not start and they know how I felt during that playoff game and how they treated us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jkuhn22
    As a season ticket holder for the Cincinnati Bengals I am not happy about what happened to Ben, but I don't feel bad for him because he would be fine if he would have worn a helmet. I want him to make a 100% recovery and be back for the Bengals vs Steelers game and then lose to the Bengals. I want to beat them when they are at their best, not the worst.

The rumors in Pittsburgh are that the car that hit him had Ohio plates and they are saying it was Carson Palmer out to get revenge.

I am not gonna lie, I have a deep hatered for the Steelers (mostly the fans, Joey Porter and Hines Ward). I get a little bit of enjoyment thinking of the fans and how they are crying that Ben might not start and they know how I felt during that playoff game and how they treated us.
    Yup. it's all about you, bud.

Forum Member

but I don't feel bad for him because he would be fine if he would have worn a helmet.

Just because you wear a helmet does not mean you are invisible either, someone who posted earlier said he was wearing a helmet and still had a crap load of injuries, yes they help but wont save you from everything. Also should the government prevent anyone from leaving their house because you never knon when you walk to your mailbox that some idiot will lose control of their car and the car will run you over...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY101TRUCK
    Just because you wear a helmet does not mean you are invisible either
    Neither a helmet nor anything else I wear riding makes me feel invisible. In fact, the more I wear the less invisible I feel....

I'm going to disagree with the posts that imply that seat belt and helmet laws help further erode the notion of personal responsibility. IMHO, they exist because personal responsibility is merely a quaint notion in our world today. Consider FFFred's skydiving example. I bet that every skydiving school has a waiver that says something to the effect of "I plan on jumping out of this perfectly good airplane on the assumption that a silk canopy will deploy and lower me gently to the earth. If however, that fails to occur and I become a human lawn dart then it is my own damn fault for jumping out of a working airplane in the first place." Every skydiver understands they're responsible - that's why the few I know pack their own chutes. If drivers and bikers could state for the record they understood the risks and would accept the consequences then I would say no problem, give life as a hood ornament a shot. Sadly, that's not what happens. They're all for freedom until it bites them in the *****, then they're looking at who has the deepest pockets. The wreck wasn't my fault, the car was defective, the doctor or EMT screwed up, since I can't work the government should now feed, house me, and raise my kids, and on and on and on. The only recourse is for someone to step in and say 'hey, since you're gonna want us to take care of you if something happens, you're going to have to reduce my risk exposure by wearing certain protective equipment.'

Insurance companies could probably accomplish much the same thing by having policies that charged much higher rates for non-seat belt users or unhelmeted riders but the moaning and crying would never end. Instead, they too rely on government to be the bad guy.

As an aside, several of the stories I've read about this incident have pointed out that many transplant doctors encourage their patients to get on registries in states without helmet laws because they have a greater chance of getting an organ. That sure speaks volumes.

Thread Information