Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Did you hire a consultant?

Has your fire dept hired a consultant to prep a fire grant, run a fundraiser, spec a truck, etc?

What was the project, who did you use (an individual, a for profit or nonprofit firm, local COG, etc),how was their fee determined, and when paid?
    Last edited by neiowa; 06-12-2006 at 02:50 PM.

Forum Member

We generally do use a COG grant writer for the nuts and bolts, he is paid through the dues paid by the city to the association. In the past he did 99% of the work, but the last three years I write everything up and pass it to him and he adds the cost analysis and makes sure it is in before deadline.

As far as the last two truck's we have specd. We formed a truck committee and decided on what we wanted, then took it to a couple different manufacturers and sat down with them to see what would and wouldn't work within the budget we had. I don't know of a company producing trucks that won't take the time to do this if you are willing to do the leg work before hand.

We had talked at one time about doing "outside" fundraising, but found there were enough people who had good ideas and strong backs on the dept. to raise money without having to pay someone to do it.
    Last edited by weezride; 06-12-2006 at 03:49 PM. Reason: to add content

MembersZone Subscriber

City has used the local COG (not for FD). I've found their primary focus to be maintain the lifestyle to which they have become acustomed. IE, EXPENSIVE. NO strike that, OVERPRICED. Rake of 10% of sucessful grants for Admin. Change/replace and cut/paste artists turning out pap.

Some Fed grant programs you practically have to use them just to keep out of trouble with BS grant admin crap.

Which all boils down to the one point I make time and time again, why pay someone to do something that most of you can learn to do properly yourself? Education is the key, this forum has proved that many times over already.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Amen Kurt----I wrote my first grant for AFG 04 and got turned down right away. I went to a couple grant writing classes, started looking in these forums, and taking your advice (along with Brian and Alana) on things to ask for, and got awarded a CEDAP II for a TI. Thanks to all who have posted their good and bad news, it really helped. I have also wrote a grant for a tanker for the AFG 05. We are a small dept. with no tanker in a 82 sq/mi area. I know it is a long shot with our run #.

MembersZone Subscriber achief15's Avatar

On the AFG, I am 3 for 5 as of 2005 without a coordinator. I have no formal grant experience, and I owe our success in part to the forum contributors right here. I also found that attending the brief seminars and actually reading the guidance documents and tutorials were worth their weight in gold. One of our vendors allows us to have access to Brian Vickers, and he has really been a plus answering my questions!
    Glenn Rainey
    Colington Fire Department
    Dare County, North Carolina
    The Outer Banks

Congratulations Glenn. That is what we like to hear.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Quote Originally Posted by achief15
    On the AFG, I am 3 for 5 as of 2005 without a coordinator. I have no formal grant experience, and I owe our success in part to the forum contributors right here. I also found that attending the brief seminars and actually reading the guidance documents and tutorials were worth their weight in gold. One of our vendors allows us to have access to Brian Vickers, and he has really been a plus answering my questions!
    Basically the same here. Only 2 for 3 with not getting one the first year. Went to one seminar, but I have learned more here than I ever could have imagined. I agree: The program guidance is the key! Had to break down and go for the big one this year. A new pumper to replace a 1959 chevy. Fingers are crossed

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

Thread Information