+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread: Dui

Forum Member

Default Dui

I am trying to find out information for a friend of mine who got a DUI about 3 years ago. He has a few more years to go until it is off his driving record and fears that this mistake will hold him up in the testing process. Has anyone had a DUI that is a firefighter or have any advice for someone with this problem? Any advice at all will help.

Barnes

MembersZone Subscriber

We've had a couple members and have hired one with a prior DUI. Every place is different on how they look and whether it will hurt him. But one thing is consntant, he needs to BE HONEST about it.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Permanently Removed

Forum Member

Age is key, if it happened when he was 16 or something sometimes they understand that 16 year old males are complete idiots when it comes to thinking straight. Also does he have any more traffic offences since then? He needs to be prepared to defend the hell outta himself if he makes it to the oral board. Any ammo they can get their hands on the harder its gonna be for him, and I for one would not want to argue my way outta that. If he has been on the straight and narrow it is possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just beware of the "experts" who will tell you to hide it, don't tell them unless they ask, whatever. Tell the truth. Trust me, it will take little to no effort to find it on your DMV record. You may get style points for being up front and honest.

MembersZone Subscriber

An Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) conviction never leaves your record in Wisconsin, and as far as I am aware, in any other state as well.

As far as hurting him.....Every place is different. Some won't even look at him or give him the time of day because of it and other places won't bat an eyelash.

My department looks at it as a package deal. Do they have just one OWI, any other convictions, bad driving record, bad attitude, arrogance, etc. One OWI is bad enough, but anything else, I would toss him in the recycle bin.

However, if there is only the one OWI, and the "package" looks ok, I am all for giving someone a second chance. There are firefighters and even cops working with a prior OWI conviction so it isn't the end of the world.

No matter what, be totally honest and up front about it.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

i have 2 owis and im planning on going to the academy in new york. i live in WI right now plan on moving over there, nybody have any insight on this?? sorry to steal the thread but i have 2 and im still on my fd even though its vol.

Forum Member

Normaly it is city by city as far as if they will accept him with one or accpet after so many years with one

till him to check with each city he is looking to apply to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by N.knasinski View Post
    i have 2 owis and im planning on going to the academy in new york. i live in WI right now plan on moving over there, nybody have any insight on this?? sorry to steal the thread but i have 2 and im still on my fd even though its vol.
    The thread was resting in its grave for the last 5 years.

You have those on your driving record. Most places will not hire folks with dui's or owis.

Why should they when they get applicants that are clean as a babies behind!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Thumbs down

With two DUI?OWI's on your record, you probably can't even get hired at Mickey D's.

There are thousands of applicant's out there with clean records that will be given a higher score.
    Just giving you the honest unvarnished truth !

MembersZone Subscriber

In NY, a second DWI within 10 (?) years is a felony. Good luck with that.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I wouldn't want to trust my life, my crews life, or our citizens lives to you. You can't even be trusted with your own life let alone the rest of ours. I suggest a different career path.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I wouldn't want to trust my life, my crews life, or our citizens lives to you. You can't even be trusted with your own life let alone the rest of ours. I suggest a different career path.

Boom.

"It's a living thing brian..."

MembersZone Subscriber

This should be like Facebook, and have a big old LIKE button on it.

Forum Member

Think everyone on here needs to stop taking the moral highground and writing this person off.I have over 11 yrs on the job and have sat in the back and front with some so called experienced, clean drivers who cant drive for s.it! This person has made mistakes, as we have all and probably paid the price through the court system or personally.Apparently here in the state of Maryland its pefectly sociablly accepatable to " have a few beers" but still drive.I am not condoning this action at all dont get me wrong , I think its irresponsible and highly dangerous,but what I do want to see on this forum is a balanced view.Believe me, generally i am sure we have all worked with some "paycheck collectors" who aint worth s.hit who only got the job due to quotas or some other P.C reason.Yes, past hx is usually a good indicator of future hx but NOT always the case.10-15 yrs ago,the guy should be given another chance.5-10, yes maybe if only once before, 5 or less depends on circumstances.

Oh.. 2 DWI's maybe not.He/she didnt learn the 1st time
    Last edited by jeeves1; 02-24-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: re reading posts

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeeves1 View Post
    Think everyone on here needs to stop taking the moral highground and writing this person off.
    I add you to the same list. Pardon me for wanting someone who has some morals. Stop taking the moral high ground? REALLY???!

I have over 11 yrs on the job and have sat in the back and front with some so called experienced, clean drivers who cant drive for s.it!
    Me too. What's your point? Driving ability is not in question. DUI has nothing to do with driving skills. You're making excuses.

This person has made mistakes, as we have all and probably paid the price through the court system or personally.
    Actually, no we all haven't. Raise your hand FH.com members if you've had multiple DUI arrests... crickets chirp. Raise your hand if you think someone with multiple DUI arrests is trustworthy? crickets still chirp. Idiot.

Apparently here in the state of Maryland its pefectly sociablly accepatable to " have a few beers" but still drive.
    What does socially acceptable have to do with anything???? He's not from Maryland first of all. And regardless of what you think is socially acceptable, it changes nothing. More excuses.

I am not condoning this action at all dont get me wrong , I think its irresponsible and highly dangerous,but what I do want to see on this forum is a balanced view.
    Balanced view??? How can you have a balanced view on DUI??? It is illegal. It is life threatening dangerous and irresponsible. And depending on how you do it, it could be a felony. There is no balanced view. The only view is the truth and reality of it. And that reality is that a recent multiple DUI offender is not a trustworthy or responsible person. Period. End of story. More excuses.

Believe me, generally i am sure we have all worked with some "paycheck collectors" who aint worth s.hit who only got the job due to quotas or some other P.C reason.
    Nothing to do with this at all. More excuses.

Yes, past hx is usually a good indicator of future hx but NOT always the case.10-15 yrs ago,the guy should be given another chance.5-10, yes maybe if only once before, 5 or less depends on circumstances.
    Well lets see. He's currently 21 years old, has a kid, and two DUI's. You do the math.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Just spitting an idea out, and I only have 3 years in on the fire service so feel free to counter this, but depending on the department allow someone that has a past like this to be on the department for given 2 year probation where they are not driver qualified for any apparatus and if at any point was suspected of being under the influence would require a field sobriety test. If at the end of the 2 year probation where to interview with the chief to see how s/he has conducted their self and proven trustworthy then leave it in the chief's hands to go from there.

I get there is tons of gray zone with that and liability, I just wanted to give them an ear and play devils advocate to the majority.

How I personally feel about this if I wore the white hat? Two responses...

Paid dept... No, not a chance. Not attacking you but looking at it from the stand point there are 200 people applying for 1 position? I would have to hire someone that on paper gives me no reason to ever doubt anything.

Volly dept... Maybe, I don't know you and I don't know why you did what you did. If you really want this and willing to do it for no pay then I possibly would be able to use you as exterior qualified only. Harsh as it might sound and as great of a guy/gal you might honestly be, the liability to send you into a house or behind a 1 million dollar rig with the town's name on it? Be real tough to tell a lawyer "but we thought s/he had changed". I would also require that you not have any firefighter plates or lights on your POV. You would also have to respond to each call aboard an apparatus, You are a civilian until you have boarded that apparatus and may not respond to scene in your POV. If found responding to any call under the influence of any amount would be termination.

I know this is really harsh and is not an attack on any person but this is a lawyer happy country and they already have proven common sense can be beat. So you really have to make it bullet proof as possible.

Forum Member

Personally - I think all DUI/OWI should be felonies.

I see no excuses for reckless behaiovor. Not only reckless to yourself but to anyone else on the road.

I'll pass on any applicant with that record. I might and stress might give leeway to individuals who were 'young' minors at the time - IE 16. and had mended thier ways.

Forum Member

i asked for insight, not to tell me what ive done wrong...

i know damn well what i have done and have made corrections accordingly. You have no idea how bad it hurts tht i have done so wrong and pretty much ruined my career. I love what i do with the fire department i love being a firefighter its the only thing tht i know how to do now. Im a good firefighter i just havent had the prim perfect life that some of you have had. Ive had to crawl through everything my entire life and the devil has led me down horrible paths but when i get into my firehouse i feel satisfied, i feel so full of happiness and dont want to leave. I came up from absolutely NOTHING and suffer to this day. there is NO excuse for what i have done, and i know this i think about it day and night i cant sleep nymore because of it, i suffer day and night from my decisions. i dont need to hear, you cant even get hired at micky ds, ive never made mistakes, hes got a kid, SO WHAT, what does my child have to do with anything!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeeves1
    "This person has made mistakes, as we have all, and probably paid the price through the court system or personally.

Actually, no we all haven't."

Human beings make mistakes some more than others. Your a human being correct? Because i am not just like you or went my path just like you is no excuse to talk about me the way i have been talked about......

Respect

The reason this thread got brough back is because of the search tab. thank you
    Last edited by N.knasinski; 02-24-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Forum Member

I add you to the same list. Pardon me for wanting someone who has some morals. Stop taking the moral high ground? REALLY???!

Me too. What's your point? Driving ability is not in question. DUI has nothing to do with driving skills. You're making excuses.

Actually, no we all haven't. Raise your hand FH.com members if you've had multiple DUI arrests... crickets chirp. Raise your hand if you think someone with multiple DUI arrests is trustworthy? crickets still chirp. Idiot.

What does socially acceptable have to do with anything???? He's not from Maryland first of all. And regardless of what you think is socially acceptable, it changes nothing. More excuses.

Balanced view??? How can you have a balanced view on DUI??? It is illegal. It is life threatening dangerous and irresponsible. And depending on how you do it, it could be a felony. There is no balanced view. The only view is the truth and reality of it. And that reality is that a recent multiple DUI offender is not a trustworthy or responsible person. Period. End of story. More excuses.

Nothing to do with this at all. More excuses.

Well lets see. He's currently 21 years old, has a kid, and two DUI's. You do the math.
    Man, youre a tool.!You obviously dont read things properly which IS a requirement of our job! I dont condone it and dont put yourself out there as being whiter than white.!!No one is perfect like you.I have worked with plenty of career firefighters who either didnt do well at school,absconded, shoplifted as a teenager, or experimented with drugs.. been arrested for domestic disturbances,and are the best practical fireman I have ever seen, their firemanship skills are beyond reproach does that make them a bad fireman that they had a moment of bad judgement?... food for thought.Do the people we rescue or their children out of burning buildings care what we did 5-10 yrs ago ? I think not. im not making excuses for the man, all I am saying is that once is forgivable if there were extenuating circumstances and no one was killed or injured.Who are you to judge someone? I repeat, I don not condone DUI or Drug driving , I am simply saying that one moment of bad judgement should not necessarily write someone off.Each case is on its merits

Forum Member

best of luck. but why hire a guy with a DUI when there are hundreds or thousands of others applying without one?.....

Forum Member

i asked for insight, not to tell me what ive done wrong...

i know damn well what i have done and have made corrections accordingly. You have no idea how bad it hurts tht i have done so wrong and pretty much ruined my career. I love what i do with the fire department i love being a firefighter its the only thing tht i know how to do now. Im a good firefighter i just havent had the prim perfect life that some of you have had. Ive had to crawl through everything my entire life and the devil has led me down horrible paths but when i get into my firehouse i feel satisfied, i feel so full of happiness and dont want to leave. I came up from absolutely NOTHING and suffer to this day. there is NO excuse for what i have done, and i know this i think about it day and night i cant sleep nymore because of it, i suffer day and night from my decisions. i dont need to hear, you cant even get hired at micky ds, ive never made mistakes, hes got a kid, SO WHAT, what does my child have to do with anything!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeeves1
    "This person has made mistakes, as we have all, and probably paid the price through the court system or personally.

Actually, no we all haven't."

Human beings make mistakes some more than others. Your a human being correct? Because i am not just like you or went my path just like you is no excuse to talk about me the way i have been talked about......

Respect

The reason this thread got brough back is because of the search tab. thank you
    The Devil? Your life isnt perfect? Came from nothing? These are excuses, not reasons for two DUI's. I have to say you are a troll or incredibly foolhardy to come on a message board with people who lay their lives down (current and aspiring) everyday and you come looking for 3rd and assuming 4th chances? Get your training in something else or waste your time trying to become a fire fighter. With those excuses, you'd serve your country well as a defense attorney.

Forum Member

At my two departments, you will not even be considered if you have a prior DUI. And if you get a DUI while employed, you will no longer be employed.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Talking

[QUOTE=N.knasinski;1250538]i asked for insight, not to tell me what ive done wrong...

i know damn well what i have done and have made corrections accordingly. You have no idea how bad it hurts tht i have done so wrong and pretty much ruined my career. I love what i do with the fire department i love being a firefighter its the only thing tht i know how to do now. /QUOTE]

In your original post you inquired what we thought about you moving halfway across the country to attend the academy in NY.
    We gave you the unvarnished truth. You stand a miniscule chance of getting hired at any full time department due to you past indiscretions.
    You know it's wrong , we know it's wrong and the reality is if you came before a hiring board they would see that and toss your app in the round file, without ever giving you an interview.
    There are usually several hundred applicants that fill out paperwork for every single position to be hired. They whittle that list down to say a dozen applicants for each position to take the written test, and then again to a select few that go to the CPAT and interview stage of the hiring process.
    It's not like the old days when there were few applying for the jobs.
    Many of those that will be competing against you are laid off or unemployed Firefighters with years of experience.

Ask yourself this. Would you hire someone with two OUI's over any of the other folks without one?????.

Doesn't matter if you have reformed and are on the wagon now.
    History of illegal behavior is something that won't go away.

Sorry if this is not the answer you wanted us to give you. It's the truth.

Forum Member

what does my child have to do with anything!!!!
    Some people may take that as a sign of further irresponsible behavior. Most people at 21 can't take care of themselves, much less a kid. I am not judging you, just telling you how some may look at the situation.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information