MembersZone Subscriber

Default Searching Question ...

I have been reading many of the posts on this site and have gained a ton of insite with all of the information you all have posted. With that I just wanted to ask a question about some procedures or preferences you follow when searching rooms during a fire.

Upon entry into in a particular room and you are the can man, do you leave the hook near the doorway or vinicity before performing your search in that room? Do you take the axe from the iron's man and then do your search? I have heard many different things, and was just wondering what everyone here prefers. Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agaudio
    I have been reading many of the posts on this site and have gained a ton of insite with all of the information you all have posted. With that I just wanted to ask a question about some procedures or preferences you follow when searching rooms during a fire.

Upon entry into in a particular room and you are the can man, do you leave the hook near the doorway or vinicity before performing your search in that room? Do you take the axe from the iron's man and then do your search? I have heard many different things, and was just wondering what everyone here prefers. Thanks.

Make the 1st due rig, then worry about that!
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Its all depends on the conditions and your experiance. Taking the hook, means you have to drag it around and it will get caught on everything, but you can also reach out into a hallway and close the room door. If you leave it in the window hanging inside on the ledge, you can find the window easier if you have to get out in a hurry, but you may not be able to get that door closed.....again, comes down with conditions and your experiance.

I'll add more when I come back....I gotta leave in 2 minutes.....

Stay Safe
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

To add to what Vinnie said, it depends on a lot of variables. If you entered through a window, Id leave it near the window, so its easier to find my way out. It also depends on the type of occupancy you are searching, where the fire is, whether you are on the fire floor or the floor above, etc.

If I am on the fire floor, or on the fire apt, Ill keep it close, but probably leave it at the door to each room I search. Most people can search an 10x12 room fairly quickly without the hook getting in your way. If it is a larger occupancy, obviously Im going to take the hook alittle farther with me.

On the floor above, I try to keep the hook with me, in case the fire is beginning to extend, I dont have to try to push past the engine to grab the hook at the door and start pulling walls.

In most residential fires, it really depends. If you are the 1st due can man, your first priority is to find the fire, and contain or extinguish it. If the fire is large enough that it cant be contained or extinguished with the can, then your hook becomes basically useless until the engine knocks the fire down. If it is a small, smoldering fire, then the hook will be put to use right away to begin overhaul.
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 06-16-2006 at 12:49 PM.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can also lay it on the floor, hooked to the door frame. This works sometimes cause a 10' x 10' room, you can hold on to the end as a reference point, or put your foot on it. Also can be place standing up in a corner of the room (hook end down) so that when some anxious folks start pulling ceiling, your hook isnt burried under a bunch of dry wall or plaster.

Forum Member

These responses are right on. Conditions really dictate how YOU will operate and how you will use your tools. Your one comment about taking a axe from the IRONS position - I'd be careful with that one. Our people never give up their tools - we work in a systematic fashion with each member handling their particular responsibility and that includes the use of their assigned tools. As the can man, unless you are in a real busy place, you carry your tools and deal with the bumping around. You take these tools on every call so that when you have a good job, you are comfortable with the handling and maneuverability required. As stated, every incident is different. I hope that this helps.

Forum Member

Can't say enough about how much it depends on the situation and the size of the room/occupancy you are searching. If the engine is in place, and operating and I need to branch off and search adjoining rooms it will be the CAN that I leave at the doorway and use the hook to prod and assist in my search while holding the hook end. Return to the door, pick up my can and move on.

A 6 foot wooden hook can actually help you clear a room (especially a kitchen, or some larger-size rooms) rather quickly.

Can't say enough also about the major responsibility of using and accounting for "YOUR" tools. I give mine up to no one, and know where they are at all times, since they are my responsibility for that tour, (or job if you are a volley). If I have the irons and begin to overhaul, I know right where my axe is. If I have the OV or roof position and I am hooking ceilings, my halligan is standing by jammed in the wall (by the pike) in my IMMEDIATE vicinity and usually around eye level (if conditions permit of course).

I usually have full conversations with my hallligan also, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.....

Thread Information