MembersZone Subscriber

Default Knee pain question

I have had pain in my left knee for about 2 weeks now. The weeks prior to the pain, I had been running 2-4 miles a week and cycling 2-5 miles a week (very active lifestyle). The pain is not present under normal circumstances such as walking or going up steps. I tried to run normally but I began to have pain around the lower part of my knee cap and on both sides. I also have sharp pain during awkard movements such as carrying heavy equipment up stairs. Yesterday I was able to run 1 mile with a "ace" bandage around the knee but as soon as I took it off, the knee started aching and throbbing. I've been icing the knee every night, taking motrin and ibprofen and using flex-all, etc. with only relief at the time. I'm only 22 should I see if this gets better by itself or go to a doctor? Any one have an idea of what might be wrong?

MembersZone Subscriber

Go see the doctor.

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06

Mike I have the SAME thing going on right now and I'm going to see a sports doctor Monday. Seethread below. I thought I was doing better but it hurts and it's freaking me out. I'll let you know what I find out Monday afternoon.
    -ww

MembersZone Subscriber

Mike,
    My concern is that when you finally get hired you will go through some sort of formalized training. I promise you it will involve a great deal of physical fitness. I would hate to see you have to withdraw due to a problem with your knee(s).

Like the previous poster said see a doctor now. Hopefully there is an easy fix such as higher quality shoes or inserts (keeping my fingers crossed for you).

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the feedback, Ill wait for FARGO's response and then decide from there. You're right, I don't want to get into an academy and then have to drop out. Plus, I wouldn't have a job.

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06

yeah i'm supposed to start the academy on 6/26 which is why i'm worried. Mike I'll PM you with what the DR finds out. hopefully it's a strain or something simple.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you want to research some of it yourself look at this website and see what you think:

http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/handout...eeinjuries.htm

I could potentially start an academy as soon as October so I have some time. Also, when you find out from the DR mail me at mike_co5@yahoo.com.

MembersZone Subscriber

Make your appointment NOW!

You're saying that you are going to wait for someone else to go to their doctor before you make a decision???!! This is your knee.

Especially if you might start an academy in October. If there is any procedure to be done, start the ball rolling now in order to be ready for it then.

btw - you have at least eased off from the training for now right? No need to continue aggravating it.

Good luck,
    bam
    Last edited by ffbam24; 06-15-2006 at 04:42 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I'll probably give it a few more days and then go to the DR. Sometimes my job requires me to do alot of physical work so I have no choice but to be on my feet and stressing the knees. It is a little sore today and was fine yesterday, so definetly an improvement from last week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Knee pain

As a FF and PT I can tell you that this isn't something to fool around with. Get into a reputable ortho/sports med doc. Chances are that this is stemming from the hip alignment/strength/ROM issues. My analogy is a pulley that is being pulled at an angle rather than straight on, it creates friction on the pattella causing "patellofemoral pain" (do a google search to get more info)Orthotics/ braces will just be a finger in the dike.

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06

just dropped you an email Mike.
    -ww

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Knee pain

I agree with OGomez. Go get it checked.

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Forum Member

This link from the University of Illinois is right on the money. I've had a series of not so severe knee problems and have seen a PT who has always, always given stretching/strengthening exercises. Especially do the stretches listed on the link--you can do a little stretching at most any time. Recovery will take time. You can still run/bike, but scale back if you feel pain while you are doing it.

And if you're old enough, you might remember Joe Namath's line (pasted in gym lockers everywhere at the time) "I keep my knees in a box on top of my locker."

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just an update, I went to the family Dr. yesterday who took an x-ray which was negative. I now have a MRI scheduled for next week to rule out cartlidge damage. How will this affect my status in the hiring process? I'm almost at the end of testing with just the oral board and medical to go. If it is something like arthritis, will I fail the medical? Does anyone know how critical they are with passing the medical? Or is it as long as I pass their tests (BP,Stress,etc..) am Im good to go.

MembersZone Subscriber

They will only know what information you decide to tell them. Say nothing and you should be just fine on your physical exam.

Having a bum knee & a long career in the fire service may be another story.

Good luck and I hope it is nothing serious!

Forum Member

mike,

are you in the process for the PG physical?

Forum Member

correction: PG academy

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, its PG. I really want the job and have been doing alot of research on my symptoms and such, I believe it is just tendinitis but Im not a Dr. either.

BarMan:Are you in the process too?

Forum Member

I am.

Have you heard anything yet? Have you gone for your Agility Test (or anything besides the background check)?

MembersZone Subscriber

Finally went to the ortho- and got probably the best news I could have hoped for. They said it is patella tendinitis. It should go away in a couple of weeks with the stretches that the thearpist will prescribe. I asked about being ready for the stresses of an academy and she said that with being aggressive with the therapy it shouldn't be a problem. And, as long as I keep my muscles stretched and such on a normal basis, this problem shouldn't be chronic. Thanks to everyone who gave input, it was nice having the advice and support.

Barman- I have been for the background and the psych interview. The psych Dr. said that the next step is that they (your investigator) review your case and if it passes, they forward the information to the fire department officials. You then have an oral board interview with 3 officers from the department. After that is the medical which I assume includes the physical agility test too.

Forum Member

mike,
    sounds good. ok if i shoot you an email at your above address?

MembersZone Subscriber

Barman- yeah send it to mike_co5@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeco5
    Barman- I have been for the background and the psych interview. The psych Dr. said that the next step is that they (your investigator) review your case and if it passes, they forward the information to the fire department officials. You then have an oral board interview with 3 officers from the department. After that is the medical which I assume includes the physical agility test too.
    mike -- my email is down, but i'll post a reply up on the Hiring: PG thread.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking rehab

The tendinitis you have should be helped by stretching but be aware that the root cause is more than likely the position your femur is in and hip muscular imbalance. When you get in a fatigued state the weaker hip muscles get over powered by the stronger ones. Many times the external rotators are over powed by internal rotators and then the femur is turned in. Then the patella ( knee cap) is being pulled over the femur ,as you run, at an angle causing friction resulting in the tendonitis. The key is to get the muscles re-educated to work in tandem and balanced resulting in the proper femur alignment/tracking, retrain the endurance and strength to prevent the problem under stress. Other wise there may be a reoccurance in the future.Take a look at our philosophy towards rehab and feel free to e-mail me with ?'s

Orlando Gomez PT/ FF portland Fire & Rescue
    www.adapttraining.com

Forum Member

I had a similar problem when I was younger...prevented me from playing basketball the last 3 years of highschool...the DR. gave me some exercises to do and they did help, although it took an hour a day. The only problem was that when I did basketball training I didn't have to time to rehab and keep the exercise going so the DR didn't clear me for my physcal...the problem did go away, but its coming back in my left knee do to an injury in the academy, which has made the exercises that were designed to work out the muscles and tendons in the front of the knee, very painful for the ligaments in the rear of the knee (a little background my knee was hyper extended during a drill and since then I can feel a small indent on the outside ligament of my left knee)...but I wish you the best of luck, hopefully there isn't "surgical" damage there...
    This we do so others may live

Thread Information