Forum Member

Default Pipe and Drum Bands

We are just starting a pipe and drum band here in the Raleigh area. It is called the Wake and District Pipe and Drum Band. Now last week was our first meeting and tonight our first practice, so I don't believe we will be making our debut for quite some time. But I was wondering how many people here on the forums are apart of a pipe and drum band? If so which ones? Do you all have a website, for the last couple of weeks I have been all about reading up on different bands.
    KTF-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1
    We are just starting a pipe and drum band here in the Raleigh area. It is called the Wake and District Pipe and Drum Band. Now last week was our first meeting and tonight our first practice, so I don't believe we will be making our debut for quite some time. But I was wondering how many people here on the forums are apart of a pipe and drum band? If so which ones? Do you all have a website, for the last couple of weeks I have been all about reading up on different bands.
    KTF-EGH
    Not in a pipe band but I am a piper, though I'm off it for a while due to a hernia. If you haven't already, check out THE bagpipe forum here .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1
    Not in a pipe band but I am a piper, though I'm off it for a while due to a hernia. If you haven't already, check out THE bagpipe forum here .
    sorry for the thread hijack GFDLT1

But any advice on someone wanting to get started/learn to play?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm a piper with the Monmouth County NJ, Police Pipes and Drums. There are quite a few firefighters in the band as there is no Firefighter band in Monmouth County.
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230
    sorry for the thread hijack GFDLT1

But any advice on someone wanting to get started/learn to play?
    There are several ways to go about it. One would be to find a pipe band in your area and see if you can attend some of their practices. Most bands also offer lessons, sometimes for free. You would start on a practice chanter and move on to pipes once to develop basic skills (6 mos to a year). Another option would be to find a private tutor in your area and take 1 on 1 lessons. This is how I'm learning. I've been taking lessons for about a year and a half. My best advice is take it seriously. It's NOT an easy instrument to learn and it takes a lot of patience. Progress comes slowly but in the end it will all be worth it. There is no finer instrument IMO.

Forum Member

been piping since 95

try this site, http://www.hfdpipesndrums.com/index.htm band is comprised of firefighters from 7 departments.

Good luck to your group

P.S. it only takes 9 notes and 2 parades and your there
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

MembersZone Subscriber

I used to play the bagpipes quite a bit. I played in Houston in the St. Thomas Pipe Band. I don't want to seem self promoting but listen to our cd "dedication." I promise it wont disappoint.

http://www.piperanddrummer.com/Revie...?articleID=898

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

I play snare drum in a pipe band. It's a great time. We played a few songs in a bar during the month long celebration of St Patricks Day (parade every weekend) and people were cheering "More Snare Drum!!" Made me think of that SNL skit with Will Ferrell and Christopher Walken

Do a search on www.youtube.com using the keywords pipe band or bagpipes and you will see a ton of footage. Enjoy the band!
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    I play snare drum in a pipe band. It's a great time. We played a few songs in a bar during the month long celebration of St Patricks Day (parade every weekend) and people were cheering "More Snare Drum!!" Made me think of that SNL skit with Will Ferrell and Christopher Walken

Do a search on www.youtube.com using the keywords pipe band or bagpipes and you will see a ton of footage. Enjoy the band!
    I've got a fever and the only perscription is more snare drum

This space for rent

Bingo
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

I will have to check out all of those websites, thank you. Last night was our first practice, they are also running one tonight. Because we all work shift work, we have 2 practice nights a week so that you can make one of them. Our band is comprised of Cops, Firefighters and some Paramedics. From what I have seen so far our band looks very promising. We are lucky enough to have quite a few people that already knew how to play. I am actually not playing the pipes (although my brother inlaw is), I am going to learn how to be/play a flourishing tenor drummer. I imagine there is probably a little rivilary between pipers and drummer, just like between truckies and guys on the engines. Our pipe major used to play in the Chicago Police Pipe and Drum band as well as the Stock Yard P and D.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2701
    been piping since 95

try this site, http://www.hfdpipesndrums.com/index.htm band is comprised of firefighters from 7 departments.

Good luck to your group

P.S. it only takes 9 notes and 2 parades and your there
    We hope to play our first time in the public a year from this July 4th. I have actually met a couple of your members, Brian and Ron from Gary FD. I met them a few years back at the FOOLS convention in Charlotte.

Forum Member

http://www.stlhighlandguard.com/

Not in it but know a few who are, they formed a few years ago I believe. I tip the lid to 'em, they sounded pretty good to me. Wat up Z man!

Found their site here.....

http://www.firefightinglinks.com/pipe.html

This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1
    I am actually not playing the pipes (although my brother inlaw is), I am going to learn how to be/play a flourishing tenor drummer. I imagine there is probably a little rivilary between pipers and drummer, just like between truckies and guys on the engines.
    The drummers refer to the pipers as the dark side and vice versa

One of my cousins plays bagpipes and I said in an email DRUMMERS RULE. The response I got back "We note you're playing the snare drum in a bagpipe band. Joseph isn't playing the bagpipes in a snare drum band. Pipers rule!"

OUCH
    Last edited by NYSmokey; 06-15-2006 at 09:17 PM.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Been in my towns pipe band for about a year now...just got my pipes 3 months ago and love every minute of them!! Though I havent been in any parades yet cause it is quite an expensive hobby...theres really no firefighter pipe bands in my area except the county pipe and drum band made up of police and CAREER firefighters so im not allowed to join because I am only a volunteer..which is a stupid rule I think but ohwell....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

http://www.phillypoliceandfirepipeband.com

Been in and out of the band for a few years. Havent dedicated myself as I should. Hope to return soon.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Permanently Removed
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 06-16-2006 at 09:04 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've got a fever and the only perscription is more snare drum
    There is little doubt that the above quote by Firefighter2230 is from a Saturday Night Live skit involving the cast and Christopher Walken. In the skit they spoof on Blue Oyster Cult, but instead of more snare drum the cure is more cow bell.

Well, my little story connects that skit with the bag pipes.

The band I'm in was honored by being asked to play Scott Muni's funeral a couple of years ago at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan. It you grew up in the NYC metro area and liked classic rock music you knew who Scott Muni was.

While we were tuning up at the radio station a few blocks away we were introduced to Eric Bloom (Singer Guitar Player for BOC) who was a close friend of Mr. Muni. After the standard small talk a member of our band stated to Mr. Bloom that he didn't feel well. When Mr. Bloom asked what was the matter the member of our band stated that he had a fever. I'm sure you can guess how the rest of the story goes but needless to say we all had a good laugh at Mr. Blooms expanse. He was a good sport and a very nice man. He told us the story of how he was home watching SNL when that skit originally aired and he had no idea it was coming.

Anyway that's my little story that I thought I would share.
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

Forum Member

Default I know this threads a tad older But

this January '07I was off with a foot surgury, and decided to build a list of FIRE service Pipe bands.... I began Piping in 1990 was an officer a sw ell as pipe sergeant in My states 1st pipe band during a time when I was one of maybe 400 fire service pipers there were not many groups out there and manythat were were combination police and fire bands ..anyway naturally the internet getting imfo out to people has grown The whole piping world, many things have affected fire service Piping,,, the biggest no doubt 9/11 was a driving force ... My list is roughly 90 fire bands nationally and 20 combination ( again like philly police and fire) 2 EMS bands IN major cities additionally Canada has also grown from StJohn NB FD P&D to working towards 6 bands nationally , at least 2 bands in Ireland, ( Cork FB and Dublin FB) as well as several more in the UK England and Scotland) and at least 3/4 have websites , the newist band on the list was posted last night right after the meeting held to form it ....I've another Band post interest request post in the off duty forum here, if interested email me for the link.. the forum isnt as busy as bob dunsires or this one, but 96 members so far and 800+ posts lots of usefull links .... Mail me if your interested

Forum Member

this January '07I was off with a foot surgury, and decided to build a list of FIRE service Pipe bands.... I began Piping in 1990 was an officer a sw ell as pipe sergeant in My states 1st pipe band during a time when I was one of maybe 400 fire service pipers there were not many groups out there and manythat were were combination police and fire bands ..anyway naturally the internet getting imfo out to people has grown The whole piping world, many things have affected fire service Piping,,, the biggest no doubt 9/11 was a driving force ... My list is roughly 90 fire bands nationally and 20 combination ( again like philly police and fire) 2 EMS bands IN major cities additionally Canada has also grown from StJohn NB FD P&D to working towards 6 bands nationally , at least 2 bands in Ireland, ( Cork FB and Dublin FB) as well as several more in the UK England and Scotland) and at least 3/4 have websites , the newist band on the list was posted last night right after the meeting held to form it ....I've another Band post interest request post in the off duty forum here, if interested email me for the link.. the forum isnt as busy as bob dunsires or this one, but 96 members so far and 800+ posts lots of usefull links .... Mail me if your interested

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

we are in the process of forming the South Carolina FirefightersMemorial Pipes & Drums here in the PeeDee/Grand Strand area. Our website should be up and running shortly and we hope to be stepping off around St Paddys next year.
    Capt. Todd J. Matthews
    South Lynches Fire Dept.

"Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!"

Forum Member

We have now been up and running for a little over a year now. We play quite a few events each month. It seems to have really taken off and it is great. For anyone that would like to check us out they can do so at www.forourfallen.org

Forum Member

Exclamation Sorry about the triple thread post..lol

guess I was getting frustrated at Firehouse...lol

Wake And district was listed on the primary public safety band list on my sight , As for the SC band , It will be listed tonight ... I would post MY URL butdunno how well that would be accepted since it is a forum on the

worldwidewebdotphpbbserverdotcom/smokenpipes

I would invite anyone whos interested or a part of a FD pipe band or fire service pipers to stop in and say hey and check out the first public forum of its kind, we also invite newbies to the piping world as well.. so
    Last edited by SMOKEnPipes; 08-05-2007 at 08:09 PM.

Thread Information