Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hale QMax Rust

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hale QMax Rust

We nhave a 2002 Hale Qmax 2000 GPM pump. It gets back flushed almost weekly. Every time we flush it we get mud colored water. The tank has been flushed and is a poly tank (no rust there). The pump is obviously cast as well as all of the plumbing going to/from it. I can't tell if it has anodes in the pump body or not. Is the rusty water just because it sits for a week and doesnt flow? Is this normal?

Forum Member

Default rust

What material is the plumbing system made from? Are the pipes galvanized, black iron or brass? Brass piping is expensive but does not rust whereas galvanized will still rust and black iron in my book is a real no-no. Even under the best circumstances rusty water will form.

could be the water from the water system coming from hydrants that arent opened or flushed befroe booster tank refilling.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Im gonna guess black iron. its a Sutphen. Does anyone know what they use as a standard for piping?

Not the water...we use clean water to flush and the tank water always runs clear when we back flush from the tank.

The water that spills out for the first few seconds is just plain nasty. Almost black at first then becoming more mud/rust colored.

Forum Member

Default Same problem with our Sutphen platform,

I'm glad you posted this, we have been having the same problem with our 2002 Sutphen Platform with Hale pump. I thought the idiots on A- shift just didn't flush the hydrant before filling.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

We have two new ALF M2 chassis engines with Hale 1050's, and they both turn the water rusty in a week too. I don't know if it is the piping or the pump, but the tank is poly and clean, so it is coming from the pump plumbing somewhere.

Our old 79 didn't show the rust unless it was left for extended periods. These new ones muddy up in days.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Post Sutphen

Sutphen does not usually use "Black" piping. Their standard is Stainless Steel plumbing including stainless flex-piping.
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Forum Member

Default It's called galvanic action.

When iron and steel are subject to conditions of aqueous corrosion the incidence and rate at which the corrosion takes place will alter if the steel is coupled with other metals or alloys that are also exposed to the electrolyte(pump water even if its fresh). Copper, brass, bronze, lead and nickel are more "noble" and act as auxiliary cathodes to the steel and accelerate its anodic dissolution, that is, its corrosion. Magnesium, zinc and zinc-base alloy are nearly always less noble and tend to divert the attack from the steel to themselves. The galvanic relationship of various metals is an important factor affecting corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by rfdlou
    When iron and steel are subject to conditions of aqueous corrosion the incidence and rate at which the corrosion takes place will alter if the steel is coupled with other metals or alloys that are also exposed to the electrolyte(pump water even if its fresh). Copper, brass, bronze, lead and nickel are more "noble" and act as auxiliary cathodes to the steel and accelerate its anodic dissolution, that is, its corrosion. Magnesium, zinc and zinc-base alloy are nearly always less noble and tend to divert the attack from the steel to themselves. The galvanic relationship of various metals is an important factor affecting corrosion.

That's what I was going to say.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Our 2000 KME with a QMAX1500 does not suffer the problem and does not get flushed too often. We had the Hale Anodes installed at the factory and replace them every couple years.

Our older E-One with a QSF1250 did not have any anodes and it was always rusty when flushed.

I believe the anodes really helped our situation and I'm very pleased with how the inside of the pump looks during inspections. Its always clean with no obvious major rust or pitting.
    Assistant Chief

Thread Information