Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Bad Drivers

  1. #1
    Forum Member res54cuecaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow....
    Posts
    276

    Default Bad Drivers

    ok yesterday we had a call for an car upsidedown in the water with one person out of the car and one still inside. They both turned out ok, luckily. Anyway, it turns out they were both teenage women, and they were speeding down the back road they were on, and flew (yah, flew, the car was at least 40 feet from the road ) into the creek. Anyway, today we just got a call for a car that ran into a telephone pole. Turns out he was talking on his cell phone and wasn't paying attention. Fortunatally all three people are fine, but what is this country comming to? (not saying i dont have my moments)


  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    As Ron White says.............

    You can't fix stupid.
    ______________________________ ___
    just job security in progress
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  3. #3
    Forum Member nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    That is one thing I love about MVA's... sometimes you come across one that makes you stand there scratching your head wondering how in the hell the drive managed to pull that maneuver off.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  4. #4
    Forum Member fireman4949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Every time I think I've seen the stupidest driving stunt of my career, there is someone else already trying to top it.

    I have incredible job security!




    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    93

    Default

    I almost got ran off the road by someone wearing headphones. Just oblivious to the world....

    People just don't pay attention.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949
    Every time I think I've seen the stupidest driving stunt of my career, there is someone else already trying to top it.

    I have incredible job security!




    Kevin
    I had a good one the other day, three lane wide road, about 1900hrs, no traffic except for our PT's car and a county transit bus. She crosses all three lanes, and impacts the back of the bus....her excuse..it's green, and blended in with the grass, I didn't see it. Now...I'd like to belive it, the problem is, there is a green stripe that runs from the back of the bus about five feet, and up the side, the rest is WHITE, YELLOW, AND BLUE! It's like....hey, moron..what's your deal. My other gripe is those who try to race our ambo...like they are doing somthing special.
    FF/NREMT-B

    FTM-PTB!!

    Brass does not equal brains.

    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Someplace you're not :)
    Posts
    301

    Default

    You know what I like? Are the drivers with the radar detector on the dash, in areas where the police use laser speed detection. I spoke to a State Trooper that says the are pretty much worthless, because once it goes off, he already has the driver clocked! I think its a riot..(and my own brother has one, and thinks he can beat the system!)

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber EFD840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Eclectic (no, NOT electric), Alabama
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    I had a good one the other day, three lane wide road, about 1900hrs, no traffic except for our PT's car and a county transit bus. She crosses all three lanes, and impacts the back of the bus....her excuse..it's green, and blended in with the grass, I didn't see it.
    Had a Saturn dead center rear-end a school bus that had stopped to pick up a student. The bus was stopped at the end of an over one mile long flat and straight stretch of two lane road with open pasture on both sides. The Saturn driver's excuse: 'he lost the bus in the sun'.

    By the way, even at 60mph, a Saturn is no match for a school bus bumper. He was entrapped, the bus left under its own power.

  9. #9
    Forum Member scvfd412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    170

    Default

    It is amazing how many people don't pay attention when they are driving. It doesn't matter if it's men, women, teens, whomever. People do so many other things when driving. With the advacnment of technology to make cars safer, I guess people think they also have an autopilot installed!
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

    VSFFA Member

    "I'm a CCEMT-B."

    "Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

    "A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

  10. #10
    Forum Member res54cuecaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow....
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scvfd412
    I guess people think they also have an autopilot installed!
    The world would be a lot better if some people did

  11. #11
    Forum Member Dave1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Gator Country
    Posts
    4,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scvfd412
    It is amazing how many people don't pay attention when they are driving.
    Oh, its not just driving. People just dont pay attention period.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

    IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

    "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

    Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    29

    Default

    The driving from the public is enough to keep you busy, but what about some of the idiots we work with. I have one guy on my shift who thinks he's a mail man. I actually flinch sometimes because I think he's going to hit a telephone poll with the truck. Another guy on my shift likes to go to the left at "round-a-bouts"(small rotary). He thinks by going to the left it will save us about 3 seconds. I will update you when he kills someone.

  13. #13
    Forum Member fireman4949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnemt76
    The driving from the public is enough to keep you busy, but what about some of the idiots we work with. I have one guy on my shift who thinks he's a mail man. I actually flinch sometimes because I think he's going to hit a telephone poll with the truck. Another guy on my shift likes to go to the left at "round-a-bouts"(small rotary). He thinks by going to the left it will save us about 3 seconds. I will update you when he kills someone.
    Mailman...LMAO!

    I had a driver once that was perilously close to the mailboxes on a narrow back road. Before I could even get a word out of my mouth...BAM!
    He looked at me and said "What the hell was that?" I had to laugh as I looked in the mirror to see the mailbox tumbling down the street behind us. "Good job" I said, "you missed the first two".

    Turns out the mailbox belonged to the parents of one of our other drivers. That made the whole thing even worse!




    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

  14. #14
    Forum Member res54cuecaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow....
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949
    "Good job" I said, "you missed the first two".
    ROFLMAO!!!

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Oh, its not just driving. People just dont pay attention period.

    NO KIDDING!!!

    In my years of law enforcement I have stopped people for the following:

    -talking on a cell phone in one hand, smoking a cig in the other
    -shaving
    -knitting
    -reading a book
    -reading a map
    -eating with one hand, talking on cell phone with the other
    -putting in their contacts (visor down using the mirror as well)
    -putting on make up
    -blowdrying hair
    -pets in the lap
    -kids in the lap (both my pet peeve, no matter who you are)
    -driver reclined in seat, driving with a foot
    -typing on a laptop on the dash

    ....all while driving.

    and to top it off, I stopped a vehicle once with no driver. Just a male sitting in the passenger seat who was reaching over to the steering wheel. Though it was a mailman at first. Then he swerved a few times and kept looking up, for some reason. Then I saw a female come up. The female driver put it on cruise, he turned the wheel, as she was...um..orally satisfying the male in the passenger seat.
    He stayed within the lines pretty well, gotta give him some credit!

    That one was the best.

    Very scary.
    Last edited by Dickey; 06-15-2006 at 10:23 PM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  16. #16
    Forum Member res54cuecaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow....
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickey
    and to top it off, I stopped a vehicle once with no driver. Just a male sitting in the passenger seat who was reaching over to the steering wheel. Though it was a mailman at first. Then he swerved a few times and kept looking up, for some reason. Then I saw a female come up. The female driver put it on cruise, he turned the wheel, as she was...um..orally satisfying the male in the passenger seat.
    He stayed within the lines pretty well, gotta give him some credit!

    That one was the best.

    Very scary.
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ooooooooooooooooooookkkkkkk

  17. #17
    Forum Member FDNY101TRUCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9-0-8
    Posts
    789

    Default

    and to top it off, I stopped a vehicle once with no driver. Just a male sitting in the passenger seat who was reaching over to the steering wheel. Though it was a mailman at first. Then he swerved a few times and kept looking up, for some reason. Then I saw a female come up. The female driver put it on cruise, he turned the wheel, as she was...um..orally satisfying the male in the passenger seat.

    You would think the guy would just switch and sit in the drivers seat and drive normally... why make life difficult?
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

  18. #18
    Forum Member res54cuecaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow....
    Posts
    276

    Default

    that is the million dollar question

  19. #19
    Early Adopter cozmosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by res54cuecaptain
    Fortunatally all three people are fine, but what is this country comming to? (not saying i dont have my moments)
    Not only are most of us in a bigger hurry to get where we're going, we also have many more distractions -- cell phones, in-car DVD players, etc. -- to keep us from getting there safely. Of course, as long as there have been cars... there have been people wrecking them. I'm just glad I wasn't around for the horse & bugger accidents.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY101TRUCK
    You would think the guy would just switch and sit in the drivers seat and drive normally... why make life difficult?

    LOL....that's what I would have done
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Good Media or Bad Media??
    By Gunnersquad in forum Fire Prevention and Life Safety
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 09:40 PM
  2. Big Bad John
    By FireCapt1951retired in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 01:07 PM
  3. Good Cop / Bad Cop in Iraq???
    By Dalmatian90 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-24-2004, 05:33 PM
  4. You *KNOW* you are having a bad when...
    By Adze39 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 09:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts