Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Station Egress Pavement Markings

Our main station lies on a major State Route and is only 1/2 block from the intersection with two other State Routes. As you can imagine, getting out of our station during rush hour is getting to be a problem and it's not going to get any better.

We have started a three-stage plan to address the problem:

#1 - Signs (ODOT is taking care of this for us)

#2 - Pavement markings (the reason for this post)

#3 - Traffic signal intervention system (long term)

Our village is quite picky about the looks of anything in public view so in order to get approval from the village council (yes, it's required - I have already checked) the pavement markings can't be "goddy".

I am looking for photos of stations that have "KEEP CLEAR" or "DO NOT BLOCK" pavement markings so that I can show them to our village council.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well if you ask me and I am sure you already know anyway's, I don't think it really matter's how many things you put up, or do to help yourselve's get out of the station, you know how people drive these days, they don't care if you have an emergency call, their time is just as important as your's. so even if you do paint marks on the road, and do whatever, during heavy traffic times they are still gonna go bumper to bumper, b/c they don't want antone to cut infront of them.

There are two stations with that kind of arrangment relatively near to me. If you give me a couple of days, I can get pictures for you. Stand by.....
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RLFD14
    There are two stations with that kind of arrangment relatively near to me. If you give me a couple of days, I can get pictures for you. Stand by.....
    Great! I like people that respond with solutions.

I will keep an eye out for them!

Here are some ideas I found online.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I would do the pavement markings and the signs as a back up and first get a system to you can change the light to red when you have a fire call for the heavier traffice flow.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

There is one station near where I live and they have the same problem. What they did was to install a switch which works a set of blinking traffic lights which automatically create a let through area. When there is a call there is a switch located in the apparatus bay which they hit before they head out which turns the light to red and gives them a green light. I am not sure how much it cost but it is simpler than the opticom type system and cheaper too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nwadler
    Here are some ideas I found online.

Those are pretty good except people can't see them when they're stopped on top of them

People do so much in thier cars these days they barley notice traffic lights let alone signs that say 'FIRE STATION - NO STOPPING/STANDING' rarley do people notice signs around them. At work last tour we were pulling up onto the ramp to back into the station and the lady in front of the truck actually pulled up onto the apron to get out of the way not even noticing there was an 8 bay fire station on her right side with all the fancy markings and look of a fire station....WOW. My guess was the cell phone attatched to her ear caused a momentary lapse in intelligence.

MembersZone Subscriber

In our area here there are lots of these diagonal lines across the lanes where you are not supposed to stop. Please excuse my really crappy drawing, I did it in like 5 minutes.

I don't know if the idea would work in your area, but here it works pretty good, most people know not to stop in that section if they are waiting at a red light. Mostly these are used where this is a cross street or something that has a decent amount of travel, this way those people are not stuck waiting because of all the vehicles in front of them waiting at the red light. I'll see if I can remember to get a picture of one of these things in real life.

Oddly enough though we don't have anything at all like that in front of our station. I have no idea why.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the same problem, which will be compounded with the delivery of our new tower. Our station is just two car lengths from a busy intersection so keeping cars clear in front all the time is not feasible. We are looking at having a new red light installed before the station to stop traffic and then having the in station switch cycle the intersection light to green and the new FD red light to red, clearing the road out front. The red light to stop traffic before the station will have a sign stating "Emergency Vehicles Entering when Lit". Or something of this nature. Without it, our new aerial couldn't get out of the bays without the current intersection lights cycling on their own. Right now its tough but the shorter rear mount single axle aerial can make it up the oncoming traffic lane and turn either way without hitting anybody.

Sorry I failed to get back to you on this.... I did not notice the reply asking for the photos. I have since relocated about 1600 miles to take a new job and can't help now.... sorry.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

MembersZone Subscriber jdlowndes's Avatar

Prattville, ALABAMA has the sorta the same issue. Email me at jdlowndes@yahoo.com and I will get you there email address...

It is not such a problem in Burkville, AL (population 2,500; salute!)!!

Forum Member

I have seen Departments with poles on both side of the entry to the road. On those poles are Red Rotaters and an actual Q- siren. They trigger this with a 3-com when they leave the station. This also triggers the red light, to Red on 3 sides, and green on the side the trucks are coming out of.

Forum Member

Lightbulb drive way markings

Quote Originally Posted by Poland971 View Post
    Our main station lies on a major State Route and is only 1/2 block from the intersection with two other State Routes. As you can imagine, getting out of our station during rush hour is getting to be a problem and it's not going to get any better.

We have started a three-stage plan to address the problem:

#1 - Signs (ODOT is taking care of this for us)

#2 - Pavement markings (the reason for this post)

#3 - Traffic signal intervention system (long term)

Our village is quite picky about the looks of anything in public view so in order to get approval from the village council (yes, it's required - I have already checked) the pavement markings can't be "goddy".

I am looking for photos of stations that have "KEEP CLEAR" or "DO NOT BLOCK" pavement markings so that I can show them to our village council.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    If you Paint 10'' wide black line using High temp. paint With a 4" yellow line down the center from the bay door to near the end of your drive and at the end of the strip paint a black box with do not block in yellow. you will get the drivers eyes I did our back up lines that way and they got the eye of the passing drivers

Forum Member

Angry drivers not waiting for us to back the engins and rescue truck in

we have a BIG problem drivers trying to go around the trucks when they are being backed in to the station, some times they even drive right past the spoter ( when I'm lucky to have one ) we have the longest engine in the county and it takes up both laines backing, but fools will still try to get around any way they can

Forum Member

its allways fun to see how many people run the red light as you are pulling out
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

We have been working with a local painting/striping company that does the School Zone work and they have provided me with what I need.

Thanks for everyones input!

Good Luck!! If you find something that will make vehicles stay out of your way leaving the station and not blocking the ramp let us know!

We have traffic lights installed in front of stations that are located on roads that are state, US highways. It doesn't help. Folks are not going to pay any attention until you plow their butts out of the way a time or two. Get the cops involved. Get them out there to watch and issue tickets. get the local TV folks and newspaper there to do a story on this and how important it is for traffic to keep clear and allow the trucks access to the road for a call.

Again, we have been through all of this. Signs in place, Lights in place. The only thing we haven't down was to post a member out there with a machine gun to blast the suckers that still want to block the ramps and road. Have thought about it before!!

You can relocate the station OFF the main road so they will exit the station on a slow use road and then get to the intersections hopefully using optic-Com devices to turn the lights green in the trucks favor.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information