Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Thumbs up Can someone please answer a few questions?

Hi everyone. I am new here and I just emailed my resume in to WSI to work as a firefighter in Iraq. I have been reading alot on this forum and first off, I want to say thank you for all the information that is listed. It has really helped my wife and I to understand things are a little better.

Somewhere I read that you don't get paid while in training in Houston. Is this true? Do you stay at a hotel and do they pay for it?

I am currently in the Navy but I don't get out of the Navy until October 2006 so I have some time before I hope to ship out. Thanks for any and all responses.

Take care and good luck to those who are there and who are soon to be leaving.

Brian

Forum Member

Oh and I can't believe I forgot this question!! It may sound silly but what do I know about Iraq?? Can you use ATM/debit cards around there? What is the scoop on that? Thanks again! I appreciate it.

Brian

Forum Member

Brian,

Yes, it's true. Your pay does not start until wheels up date. ALL accomodations are paid for by WSI. There is a dining facility in the processing center, that provides three meals a day, free of charge. The food's not bad, it's catered by the Windham hotel.

Yes, ATM/debit cards are used throughout the theater, but be cautioned, your bank may not support the cash back on purchase program, depending on their deal with Visa/Mastercard, or other companies. Having said that, the military finance office does provide the ability to cash checks up to $300. Another program is coming online now also. Simply put, it is a prepaid debit card. Sounds like it could be a good deal, but not sure. It was just implimented here.

If you want more info, shoot me an email, at rescuedfireman@yahoo.com

FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

When you go to the px/bx here on base you can get $20-50 at a time out when you make a purchase!

There are alot of contract jobs out there so ask any questions you have and compare them!

Go somewhere where you want to be!

If you have any questions go ahead and ask me, I am currently in country and can help you anwser some!!

MembersZone Subscriber

so how long does the houston training last for ? and how much money are you guys making ? thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcadam10
    so how long does the houston training last for ? and how much money are you guys making ? thanks
    houston is about 5-6 days depending on your flight. and by how much are we making i am gonna go out on a limb here and guess you mean our salaries? well you will actually make closet to about $105,000, and if this 75% uplift goes into effect like it hopefully should here soon, it will be about $110,000.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well the 75% did already go into effect but because of the tax increase your breakin even. Most guys at FF level say they have made over 100,000 at then end of there year. Really depends on your shift hrs and how many days a week you work!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry yes that is what I ment, it was one of those late night things without my contacts in or a cup of coffee

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cowfire
    Well the 75% did already go into effect but because of the tax increase your breakin even. Most guys at FF level say they have made over 100,000 at then end of there year. Really depends on your shift hrs and how many days a week you work!!
    actually per Chief Tye as of this past sunday morning it has not gone into effect. DC, Palm Beach, and Bagdhad are all still trying to figure out the finalities on it, it's almost a sure thing at this point, but don't count on it until you see it in you paycheck.

MembersZone Subscriber

H20 is right we were told we had it then my chief the other day said HQ is STILL IN TALKS ABOUT THE UPLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hit that one right on the head! They have been getting more $$ than you can imagine for each and everyone of us man!

Forum Member

You might want to go to the pay website... looks like we are getting paid for it too.

MembersZone Subscriber

i heard that today it is officially effective. so i am hoping to see it in this paycheck.

MembersZone Subscriber

ya when I looked at my paystub it sure looks like we got the raise, I wonder if they even know they are paying us! Like I said 2 days ago cheif told us HQ said they were still in negotiations. WOW!!!!! Not a surprise!!!!

Thread Information