Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Thumbs up VA FF's Unite!!!

OK guys and gals, we have to get something going here! I looked at a couple other states and they are "smokin" us with threads. We've got nothing. So, whether its right or not, I'm posting this one to get something generated for us Virginia Firefighters. Start it off and let it go where it will, but we have to show better than this.

Where are ya from?
    Where is THAT?
    Vollie or Paid?
    Interesting calls?
    Pics?
    Interior or Exterior?
    Call Volume?
    Apparatus?
    Etc........................... .............................. .

Anyway, I am a vollie District Chief in Ashland, which is just north of the City of Richmond. Been there 15 years. Runnin' 1,500 calls a year. Got 2 Engines (Kovatch & E-One), a Truck (E-One), a medium Squad (E-One), a Brush truck/firest responder vehicle (Ford F-350), and a Brush Jeep (CJ-7).

Also, a paid FF. with the City of Richmond for over 8 years now. All Quints. Currently at Station 6 Downtown, but getting transferred to 21 in the Southside. BIG CHANGE! Q-6 runs about 3,000 a year.

Somebody else's turn. Get it going. Who's out there?

Forum Member

Talking P.s.

Also, meant to say INTERIOR all the way!!!!

MGHjr
    www.thefirefighterwithin.com
    "Stay Low Below the Glow and Go!"

Forum Member

Default Vollie Training

Im in Troy (east of charlottesville) im in the process of getting on with my local vollie department Im waiting to get voted in next month. For now I am looking at training, I am new to this and need to get trained during the summer, since I will be starting college in the fall and want to train while I have the time. The problem is their training program will take a couple of months, are there any alternatives for me. Also I want to eventually go into Law Enforcement how do you go about becomming a fire marshall or investigations? I have been looking at this: http://www.vafire.com/training/index.htm
    but I don't see FFI on there.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Soon-To-Be-FF

Well, I will help you the best I can, not knowing exactly how they do it there. Most places require some type of training prior to being able to ride, and especially participate in firefighting. Unfortunately, training has become more and more in-depth and takes longer to obtain.

Some lacalities are teaching the needed classes (Firefighter I & II, Haz-Mat Operations, MayDay Firefighter Down, etc.) in an "Academy" style format. It can take several months to complete the Academy, however, the up side is that you get your basic set of needed classes all at once.

Other places are still teaching these same classes individually and allow you to get the same training in "modules." This type of learning is probably better for someone with a busy schedule, but the down side is that it could take years to get it all. So, either choice has its perks and jerks.

In a nutshell, I would advise you to get in the department and figure out what is best from there. Don't be in too big of a hurry. If you are serious about this stuff, it will take a little while to reach your goal. Is it worth it? Absolutely. If your true goal is to be a Fire Marshal, you have to start at the bottom, be a firefighter, and work your way up. Depending on your dedication to it, your results may be fast or slow. From the looks of your reply, it appears that you are a young person, so you have plenty of time to do this right!!!

If you aven't already, talk to an officer of the company or department you are applying with and ask some questions. They should be able to tell you exactly what your options are. Either way, it is do-able. If they can't or won't help you, which I would be very surprised about, let me know. I know people al over the place that can help. Good luck!!

In fact, you just gave me a great idea for a new thread.

Forum Member

yeah sorry I hijacked your thread guys. I hsvr talked to the asst chief and her runs the training but he didn't know of anything going on until the end of july, which would be too late, august is around when college starts so I will be pretty busy. anyone else with info you can email me at:

VargaM11@hotmail.com

Forum Member

No problem, I'm glad you asked.

Unless you are just going to be swamped at shool, it is possible to take some fire stuff at the same time. May be too much, though. Don't sacrifice too much and ruin them both. Whay kind of degree are you going for?

MGHjr
    www.thefirefighterwithin.com
    "Stay Low Below the Glow and Go!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Go VA !!!

I'm from Madison, VA...and work for Fairfax County Fire and Rescue...
    All i can say is that there is no better job than the fire dept. Originally i was with CDF and they have both, Kovatch and E-ONE, at Fairfax we have E-ONE's and Peirce ( TAK-4) engine and trucks.

***side note***
    I thought that for a new thread we could talk about how many tools and how heavy is your turn-out gear because of all the extra tools... Not including the S.C.B.A

Forum Member

Default Fairfax Man

Nice to hear from ya fairfax. Thanks for stopping in. What kind of shifts do you guys have? It seems to me that fairfax has a lot of crazy stuff happen there. More than the usual. Any truth to that?

Intersting idea for a thread. Fire it up. I've never really thought about it.

Thread Information