Forum Member

Default Civil Service Exam

Just wondering if anyone is planning on taking the state civil service exam this year. Any good study or conditioning tips would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

I'm taking it this year, but this is my first time.... One the site they give a workout schedule for running. They also have on the DOP website the sample written test, and what the other tests are like. It all seems easy and according to the app, if you are a volunteer and pass all sections of the test, you get 10pts added on your score.

The only suggestions I have are these.... review all that stuff they have, get in shape, run a lot, and get your EMT-B. Also try and suck up to the department you are trying to get into, visit it and talk to the guys.

Forum Member

Yeah, I think sucking up to the dept. you are trying to get hired to is a bad idea. Go visit the chief maybe and ask some simple questions about the hiring process ONLY, nothing about their salary, work schedule, shifts, riding assignments or anything else unless he/she volunteers it. If you came into my station asking all types of questions, sucking up, trying to hang out- I would think you are a pain in the ***. Anyone can say whatever they want about this, but it is the truth. I work in a resort town and we have people coming in fairly often thinking that it is as simple as just walking thru the door and getting an application. Despite what other people might be suggesting, the Jersey pyshical can kick your butt, the competition is high especialy when you see the number of applicants to the number of jobs. I take pride in the fact that I did what it took to get the job and if someone came in with even a whiff of "all I have to do is pass a test and get a job", yeah they get a rude reception.

You want advice on how to do well go to the hiring section of the forums, this has been disscused many times (NJ specific). In short though- get into the best shape of your life, you're not looking to pass the test- you need to beat the other thousands of people taking this test. Live in the town where you want to work, do it NOW, BEFORE you mail in that application with a different juristicion code, you can NOT change it once you apply. The written test isn't hard, but practice simple math and reading so you go in there with complete confidence.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

hey whats up everyone? hey anyone have the site to find out more info on the test, im starting to get myself ready for next years test and try to take it, if the site that was said above helps out could you please post the address or if you know any others that would be kool too!

keep it safe fellow nj firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the above site they were talking about is on the NJ Department of Personnel website.

URL: http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/pub...hter_opps.htm#

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Up to 10 points

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant516
    I'm taking it this year, but this is my first time.... One the site they give a workout schedule for running. They also have on the DOP website the sample written test, and what the other tests are like. It all seems easy and according to the app, if you are a volunteer and pass all sections of the test, you get 10pts added on your score.

The only suggestions I have are these.... review all that stuff they have, get in shape, run a lot, and get your EMT-B. Also try and suck up to the department you are trying to get into, visit it and talk to the guys.
    If you read the DOP website page carefully, you can get up to 10 points. Here is the repubished section of guidelines for this:

Volunteer Firefighter Status and Effect on Test Scores
    Volunteer Firefighters who pass all parts of the test may get up to 10 points service credit. Volunteers with two years of continuous service will get three service credit points. Another point will be added for each additional full year of continuous service, up to the maximum of 10 points.

Hence a vollie with three years service will get 4 points, to get 10 points, you would have to have vollied for nine or 10 years for the full bonus.

FTM PTB
    Be safe
    Bryan

Forum Member

Has anyone heard of when the tests will actually be? I know the site says "The Firefighter’s exam is tentatively scheduled for winter of 2006 into 2007." Just wondering if anyone has heard anything. Thanks

Forum Member

The test takes at lest 9 months. First will be the written and teamwork, that will take about 3 to 4 months. Next you get notice if you passed to take the pyshical that is aobut 2 to 3 months. Than you have to wait for the results which takes another 2 to 3 months. Than you have to wait for all the pansies to contest when they say it wasn't fair because they were sick or injured or it didn't cater to their needs for whatever group they are fat, lazy or stupid. This process would be so much easier without all the special interest groups contesting all the way. I could go on for a while here but you got your answer.

Default Yeah I Gotta Tip

Don't Volunteer if you want to get paid. Go to school before you pickup habits from a volunteer fire department. If you want experience go to a local fire academy. DON'T waste your time volunteering. Your taking a job away from someone. Oh yeah, STUDY MORE and EAT LESS.
    There You Go

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Rickaroo View Post
    Don't Volunteer if you want to get paid. Go to school before you pickup habits from a volunteer fire department. If you want experience go to a local fire academy. DON'T waste your time volunteering. Your taking a job away from someone. Oh yeah, STUDY MORE and EAT LESS.
    There You Go
    Go away.

The vollie/paid fight is not wanted here. Get a grip.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

yea go away! nothing wrong with the vollies....what better way to get sometime put in the giving your free time to a good thing! as far as i see it a firefighter is a firefighter....we are all pros at what we do! yes im a volly looking to get on a paid dept. but i will never leave my vol. company!

Default need info

i need info on the next civil service test. When are the applications comming out, and when is the test. I call NJDOP and they say fall 2008 and on the web it says spring 2009. This happened last time to me and i missed it. somebody please help me.

Thread Information