Forum Member

Default Anyone Have a SOP for Knox KeySecure?

Our department has recently receved a Knox KeySecure (Pin code release) for our appratus and we are looking to develop a policy for it's use. We are one of the first in our area to get one and we would like to see some other departments policies for some guidence. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktownff
    Our department has recently receved a Knox KeySecure (Pin code release) for our appratus and we are looking to develop a policy for it's use. We are one of the first in our area to get one and we would like to see some other departments policies for some guidence. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
    We have the last four of our SSN's programmed in to remove the key. We don't have any policy in place, just the same as we used our Knox boxes before.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know much about them but here dispatch has to open them over the radio... I guess they then keep track of when it's opened.

MembersZone Subscriber

i don't know much about the system you are using but i would make sure to have an LEO with you. in case the person doesn't like being waken up by you and the crew. just an idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ours are also opened over the radio by dispatch, and is logged who requested it, for what location and what time it was replaced.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

We don't have a policy in place, per se, but the past practice thus far has been this: members have to complete their probationary period before getting a PIN. They pick their own PIN, and it CAN'T be the last four digits of their SSN (too easy to figure out). The unit tracks who released the key, when, and for how long the key was out, so there isn't a whole lot of manual tracking needed. I too, would be interested in reading an SOG or SOP on this. Anybody try TRADENET yet?
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

We're purchasing the PIN release units right off. Our intent is for each officer to have a PIN of their own. The SOP will include notifiying dispatch when removing the key. This will then be logged and correspond with the computer record of the key's release.

Permanently Removed

The Orange County Fire Authority, So Cal, does. Here is their website to get more info-
    www.ocfa.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I can give you a copy of our SOG if you want it. Email me and I can reply with it.

dickeydo@charter.net

We have a small combination lock box in each truck. Only the officers know the combination to it. Works great for us.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SOG For Knox

Just recently started using an SOG for the Knox system. It explains how the entire process is to work, including the involvement of the dispatch center. I can send it in an email, just write me at poole104@epix.net

Forum Member

We have been using the Knox Box system for sometime without incident. We contact dispatch who "tones" out our Knox Box. That way the voice requesting it is recorded at dispatch as well as the unit number and time. Our city even passed an ordinance that all new commercial construction, including renovation, must include a Knox Box in the design and construction. A few of our businesses bulked, but when faced with replacing expensive doors, or locks when we werent able to gain access and the keyholder was too far out, a good bit have complied. A good bit of it is a trust thing between the department and the businesses we serve. One bad apple and things could easily go south. On our banking facilities, we always request law enforcement, its part of our policies. We have found it invaluable for those 2am HELP I've fallen and I can't get up's in our elderly highrises. Its also a real time and manpower saver as we do not have to leave personnel at the scene waiting forever for the keyholder to arrive when there is no sign of a true emergency.
    Hope this helps
    Lt. CJ Murphy

Forum Member

Have you contacted Knox. I'm sure they have some examples.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our pin is the last five digits of our ssn. The only people who are authorized to have a pin are company officers. It logs who removes a key and for how long. We have a policy that if we have to use the key for entry, a police officer has to be present to verify that everything is done to ensure that there are not accusations later on....When I get to the station tomorrow I will forward to you the actual SOP we have.

Forum Member

On ours we will contact county fire dispatch and let them know we are opening the know box, on oour school it is link throw alarm system and will alert county dispatch, but we contact them when we open the box and when it is secured, so we have it logged.

Forum Member

Knox has an Ordinance CD that I believe has some SOPs. Give them a call.

Forum Member

We have the knox keysecures. Our policy is that we have pins that are assigned, we notify dispatch that we are removing it (they already know the location) and let them know when it's back secured. Ours can be downloaded monthly so we can compare the usage. It works real well except when one of the fuses blow, it's electronic so it's gona break.

Forum Member

Default Scorch

To all you knox users, has anyone 'lost' a knox key???

What is your plan or policy to handle this??

Thanks
    Scorch

Forum Member

Jason ...........can you email me a copy of the KNOX BOX SOG please ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as the keypad itself, every member of the dept has been programed into the unit via a personal pin number. The unit itself logs who removes the key and it time stamps itself the date, time, and pin number that did it. Once a month we do an audit of the unit via plugging it in to the comp that you used to set up the program.

As far as actually using a Knox key to access a building, just have dispatch time stamp when entry is made via Knox box, and also have a PD unit on scene.

I think you can figure up some sort of SOG/SOP to fit your dept out of the examples given on this thread.
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
    To all you knox users, has anyone 'lost' a knox key???...
    Now, you really think that anyone's going to admit to this in a PUBLIC FORUM, do you?

No good deed goes unpunished

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by NEOgreg View Post
    Now, you really think that anyone's going to admit to this in a PUBLIC FORUM, do you?

I know a guy that has a cousin that has a friend.......

Your a daisy if you do.

Thread Information